Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

We have a 210+ thread where everybody is just spouting off everything, mostly just opinions. There's currently no thread devoted to new info. 

There's just no new info.  They'll probably be pretty tight lipped until something is close to final.

Jboy has legit contacts or his recruiting prediction record wouldnt be what it was/is. 

But that doesnt mean he knows more than even me when it comes to a coaching search. 

FWIW Late Kick with Josh Pate said Franklin's name a few days ago. 

Just now, AuburnFTW said:

JBoy seems to be taking the blind squirrel approach to this head coaching search

I do think he has some people somewhat in the know that he talks with even just based off his guests he likely hears things slightly before the rest of us. Still, I think he's too willing to release something without hesitation or a little out in left field to keep people engaged.

From what I can tell his socials and podcast are his only job(s)?

23 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

As for the coaching search i said this on the rant but ill say it here also

I'm down for Sark, Kiffin, or Freeze... In this order.

Anyone who can look at the absolute garbage program UDub was when Sark took over and think he was "merely ok" has me at a loss for words. 

UDub was atrocious. And he took them to respectability even though he was so drunk he could barely walk straight. 

I just dont see how you can say Sark, who took over a UDub program that had gone 11-37 in the 4 years prior, including 0-12 in the year immediately before he took over and almost had them in a bowl year 1 was just ok.  He went bowling every season after his first season at UW. He was 1 game short of a bowl year 1... After going 0-12 the prior year. 

He did such a meh job USCw came calling for him to be their HC... Where he promptly went 9-4 at his only full season there before his demons got the better of him. 

He has done such a meh job that he has worked under Pete Carroll multiple times. He then worked for Saban MULTIPLE times. 

But sure he is just ok and shouldnt be at the top of anyone's list

This board has turned me on Sark. I was fervently anti until about a week ago. I would be cautious though because Washington was a traditional PAC 10 power that had a downturn under Tyrone Willingham. After 4 years Sark could only go 7-6 

The search is dynamic and changing by the hour.  No one can predict what is going to happen yet.  Jboy is posting what he hears, he's not writing it on tablets anywhere near Mt. Sinai.

8 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Agree, Jboy might need to Jstop. 

He also posted that he wasn’t a serious candidate, just wanted to give people a heads up that his name would come up

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Jboy has legit contacts or his recruiting prediction record wouldnt be what it was. 

But that doesnt mean he knows more than even me when it comes to a coaching search. 

During USA's head coach search a couple of weeks ago he put out a wrong name and had to correct it a few days later.  So far he's playing this very safe and not going out on any limbs....not like he did last week saying he thought Gus would be fired.

2 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Jboy has legit contacts or his recruiting prediction record wouldnt be what it was. 

Agreed, sometimes he's not saying much more than what a paid-for 247 article would tell you around the same time.

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I do think he has some people somewhat in the know that he talks with even just based off his guests he likely hears things slightly before the rest of us. Still, I think he's too willing to release something without hesitation or a little out in left field to keep people engaged.

From what I can tell his socials and podcast are his only job(s)?

His dad probably knows a lot of connected people, would be my guess.

2 minutes ago, mdp5150 said:

This board has turned me on Sark. I was fervently anti until about a week ago. I would be cautious though because Washington was a traditional PAC 10 power that had a downturn under Tyrone Willingham. After 4 years Sark could only go 7-6 

Yeah like I said he did so meh that the premier program on the West Coast (USCw) came and took him. If you think that is just meh, I dont know what to say

3 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

He also posted that he wasn’t a serious candidate, just wanted to give people a heads up that his name would come up

I guess it's just a difference in what he would post vs. what I would post. I wouldn't waste my time tweeting about a candidate that's not seriously considered, but then again I'm the one that's not getting paid to share my thoughts on Auburn football

2 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Sark has paid his dues.  What's funny is that not long after Sumlin uttered the phrase "Sark after dark", that the two respective careers took different trajectories. 

My only concern is he's not actually that great of a recruiter from what I've been reading.

9 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Jboy has legit contacts or his recruiting prediction record wouldnt be what it was/is. 

I am cautious with this.  I think he does have contacts, but he has been known to make predictions right before the commitment or after everyone else has made predictions.  He plays it extremely safe to keep the record up.  

6 minutes ago, AuburnFTW said:

I guess it's just a difference in what he would post vs. what I would post. I wouldn't waste my time tweeting about a candidate that's not seriously considered, but then again I'm the one that's not getting paid to share my thoughts on Auburn football

Well if someone’s name is going to come up, he’s going to be asked about it, etc. I think he’s getting out in front of this one to limit the amount he has to talk about him. Just my opinion

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

Well if someone’s name is going to come up, he’s going to be asked about it, etc. I think he’s getting out in front of this one to limit the amount he has to talk about him

Fair enough. Different trains of thoughts, but that makes sense also

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I am cautious with this.  I think he does have contacts, but he has been known to make predictions right before the commitment or after everyone else has made predictions.  He plays it extremely safe to keep the record up.  

Yup, he's still in the building phase and not a big fan of criticism. I usually tweet pretty positively with him and he almost always likes or responds. Made one joke this morning and he got a little defensive. Whatever though, he gets us some premium info without having to pay.

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Yup, he's still in the building phase and not a big fan of criticism. I usually tweet pretty positively with him and he almost always likes or responds. Made one joke this morning and he got a little defensive. Whatever though, he gets us some premium info without having to pay.

Exactly, guys aren’t going to be right on everything, and in a coaching search, we are talking about Auburn here 😂. I think he has contacts and as you say, I think he does provide some premium info without having to pay.

Archived