Small School Love Fest

AUFlyer99

Why the love fest with possible flash in the pan, Group of Five/small school coaches who had one break out year?  Chadwell, Fickell, Napier, even Fleck and down the list.  

NONE of you have the patience required to wait out one of these young guys building a program, if they are even capable of it in the SEC.  Some of those guys can and will, but striking out on one means a further three to five years in the SEC toilet. We aren’t Vanderbilt, USCe, or Arkansas.  Lug nut up and hire a known/proven commodity that still has something to prove.  

8 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

@AUFlyer99

If you think Fickell is a one year wonder....whoo boy...

Do your damn research bud.

Dude is 30-5 in last 35 games at Cincinnati.

And one of those 5 losses was to freaking Ohio State.

Let’s see if I can play this right...BUT WHAT WERE THE OTHER 4? Hmmm

1 minute ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Let’s see if I can play this right...BUT WHAT WERE THE OTHER 4? Hmmm

I can answer that!

#11 UCF in 2018

Temple in 2018 (they went 7-1 in conference.  Only lost to UCF.)

#17 Memphis in 2019 (twice)....Memphis went to the Cotton Bowl by the way

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

I can answer that!

#11 UCF in 2018

Temple in 2018 (they went 7-1 in conference.  Only lost to UCF.)

#17 Memphis in 2019 (twice)....Memphis went to the Cotton Bowl by the way

BUT AU BEAT MEMPHIS IN THE BOWL GAME IN 2015. CHECK AND MATE. NOT GOOD ENOUGH. 

1 hour ago, AUFlyer99 said:

Why the love fest with possible flash in the pan, Group of Five/small school coaches who had one break out year?  Chadwell, Fickell, Napier, even Fleck and down the list.  

NONE of you have the patience required to wait out one of these young guys building a program, if they are even capable of it in the SEC.  Some of those guys can and will, but striking out on one means a further three to five years in the SEC toilet. We aren’t Vanderbilt, USCe, or Arkansas.  Lug nut up and hire a known/proven commodity that still has something to prove.  

None? Study results please. And drink less coffee. 

6 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Has your study of Tom Herman gotten into the Texas years yet?  Asking for a friend.

8 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

@AUFlyer99

What conference do they play in again?  How does that translate to P5 success?  How is he different from Charlie Strong?

6 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

There are plenty of barometers out there.  Surely you don’t live in a bubble.....

If Auburn is going to be a stepping stone, bring Gus back.  The odds of finding the next program building/sustaining coach are likely marginally better than hitting the winning lottery numbers.  

4 minutes ago, AUFlyer99 said:

The odds of finding the next program building/sustaining coach are likely marginally better than hitting the winning lottery numbers.  

It’s a chance we were willing to take because of how bad our program had gotten in 7 years. Scared money don’t make money.

Because that's who you can get.  Established winning coaches are few and far between.  And generally don't want to leave a good situation to come compete against Bama, Georgia, and LSU.  And the expectation is to win right away.  And those guys who do a great job at a school like Houston always work out at a big program. Just ask Texas.

8 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

@AUFlyer99

While I  concede that Fickell has the necessary background to be HC (5 years as DC with OSU), the risk is he respected enough to attract an SEC quality staff.  You people talk about how important recruiting is and probably don't even think how important it is to be respected enough to attract a quality SEC staff.  For example if he approached Mike Yurich for the OC position, Yurich has as much if not more experience than Fickell.  Would Yurich or any highly qualified canadiate want to work for Fickell under these conditions.  I also acknowledge that Fickell's upside is very high but let him go to Ilinois and build them into a competitive team and he will achieve that respect but right now he is too much of a risk.  We are currently paying a large buyout and when hiring a new coach we should mitigate a s much risk as possible.  Fickell is on the defensive side of the ball and if you want a defensive mind as HC why not go with Dennis Allen DC of the Saints who has a proven track record and is very well respected in the coaching ranks.

2 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I'd be ok with Chadwell. If you can make Charleston Southern good, he'd do just fine anywhere. 

Another Gus type hire.  Small school coaching his entire career.  The school is coastal carolina.

17 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

It’s a chance we were willing to take because of how bad our program had gotten in 7 years. Scared money don’t make money.

You’re right about the risk taking.  

17 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Because that's who you can get.  Established winning coaches are few and far between.  And generally don't want to leave a good situation to come compete against Bama, Georgia, and LSU.  And the expectation is to win right away.  And those guys who do a great job at a school like Houston always work out at a big program. Just ask Texas.

With Freeze and Cristobal reportedly interested, that’s not quite true.  

7 minutes ago, AUFlyer99 said:

You’re right about the risk taking.  

With Freeze and Cristobal reportedly interested, that’s not quite true.  

Freeze is at Liberty. We all know why he is available.  Cristobal, we'll see if he's actually interested or just using us to get a contract extension at Oregon.

35 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Risk taking is part of the game but risk taking without risk mitigation is stupid.

1 minute ago, Carnell said:

Risk taking is part of the game but risk taking without risk mitigation is stupid.

It’s been less than 24 hours since CGM has been fired, it’s too early to tell whether the power brokers risk mitigated.

49 minutes ago, AUFlyer99 said:

What conference do they play in again?  How does that translate to P5 success?  How is he different from Charlie Strong?

Charlie strong coached at Louisville as his first HC gig and had two, not three, good years before going to Texas.

As for "we must hire a P5 coach", do you understand how rare that actually happens in the SEC?  It just doesn't happen too often and usually when it does, the move doesn't work out.  There's a reason for that.  Successful coaches don't leave Power 5 gigs very often.

But this idea that being a P5 coach is a pre-requisite for the job is laughable.

Kirby - Never coached a game as the head man before going to UGA.

Urban - Was a non-power 5 coach before getting the Florida job.

Pat Freaking Dye - Went 6-5 at Wyoming before coming to AU

Here's a quick list of notable schools from other conferences with HCs that also meet this criteria of never being a P5 coach before getting their current job.  You'll notice they are all either in the Top 10 as we sit today or have a playoff appearance.  Three of them are playoff bound.

- Ohio State, Clemson, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Iowa State, Indiana

i know one thing. whomever auburn hires had better be a decent qb coach because just about every article i have read listing the down side of gus keeps mentioning bo and how bad he has regressed. i want someone who is not afraid to sit bo down a few plays when he is is struggling. bo is kinda getting a rep with a lot of folks for being a prima donna for hollering at coaches and teammates. i am not as high on bo as i was but at the same time i believe better coaching with him stops a lot of that mess before it even gets started.so to those that understand coaching is BO coachable? i want bo to succeed in every way. but i do not want a kid who is not coachable just running around doing his own thing. and this is was i believe a lot of sports writers were basically saying about bo only in a nicer way. i am posting worries and not an attitude with bo. when bo succeeds i believe auburn does. but maybe i am missing something? i hate to post anything negative about bo but i have to state what i feel to get an honest answer.

12 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i know one thing. whomever auburn hires had better be a decent qb coach because just about every article i have read listing the down side of gus keeps mentioning bo and how bad he has regressed. i want someone who is not afraid to sit bo down a few plays when he is is struggling. bo is kinda getting a rep with a lot of folks for being a prima donna for hollering at coaches and teammates. i am not as high on bo as i was but at the same time i believe better coaching with him stops a lot of that mess before it even gets started.so to those that understand coaching is BO coachable? i want bo to succeed in every way. but i do not want a kid who is not coachable just running around doing his own thing. and this is was i believe a lot of sports writers were basically saying about bo only in a nicer way. i am posting worries and not an attitude with bo. when bo succeeds i believe auburn does. but maybe i am missing something? i hate to post anything negative about bo but i have to state what i feel to get an honest answer.

Not missing anything.  His issues haven't changed in two years.  I don't think he is coachable.  He wasn't an accurate thrower in HS; he's still not accurate, he bails when he doesn't have to, his mechanics are bad even when he is not pressured.  He's a good athlete; fast, tough and can run; he'd have been great under Pat Dye in the wishbone...that doesn't make him a 21st Century SEC QB to build a team around.  

57 minutes ago, Carnell said:

While I  concede that Fickell has the necessary background to be HC (5 years as DC with OSU), the risk is he respected enough to attract an SEC quality staff.  You people talk about how important recruiting is and probably don't even think how important it is to be respected enough to attract a quality SEC staff.  For example if he approached Mike Yurich for the OC position, Yurich has as much if not more experience than Fickell.  Would Yurich or any highly qualified canadiate want to work for Fickell under these conditions.  I also acknowledge that Fickell's upside is very high but let him go to Ilinois and build them into a competitive team and he will achieve that respect but right now he is too much of a risk.  We are currently paying a large buyout and when hiring a new coach we should mitigate a s much risk as possible.  Fickell is on the defensive side of the ball and if you want a defensive mind as HC why not go with Dennis Allen DC of the Saints who has a proven track record and is very well respected in the coaching ranks.

Fickell would honestly be one of the lowest risk hires we could make.  The offenses under his watch haven't had an issue scoring points and worrying about staffing is the wrong way to look at this.  Get the right head man and assistants will follow.

Non-linear example, but I'm 37.  I steward a half-billion dollar business for my company and have people in their 50s that roll into me.  This is also my first real managerial job of this magnitude.  Do you think we're concerned about attracting highly qualified people?  Nope.  Know why?  Because the culture the company has cultivated recruits itself.

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Fickell would honestly be one of the lowest risk hires we could make.  The offenses under his watch haven't had an issue scoring points and worrying about staffing is the wrong way to look at this.  Get the right head man and assistants will follow.

Non-linear example, but I'm 37.  I steward a half-billion dollar business for my company and have people in their 50s that roll into me.  This is also my first real managerial job of this magnitude.  Do you think we're concerned about attracting highly qualified people?  Nope.  Know why?  Because the culture the company has cultivated recruits itself.

has fickell beat any of the big guys that would make you say check this out?

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

has fickell beat any of the big guys that would make you say check this out?

2018/2019 - Beat UCLA back to back years

2018 - Beat Virginia Tech in a bowl game

2019 - Beat Boston College in bowl

Beat UCF each of the last two seasons

He's 4-2 at UC against Power 5 opponents.  The two losses were at Ohio State and at Michigan.  Should be noted that the Michigan loss was his first season when he inherited a dumpster fire from Tuberville.  The Ohio State team he lost to made the playoffs.

Here's his four year trend at UC:

4-8

11-2

11-3

8-0 (currently)

It should also be noted that he was the interim coach at Ohio State in 2011 for 11 games when they were going through the Jim Tressell issues.  It's not like he doesn't know how a big program is supposed to work.

Archived