2021 NSD Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Zeek

7 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

I was referring more to the JBoy tweet “could be big”. To me, that indicates a highly rated recruit.

I’m hoping Jboy means “big” as in large, like a HS OT. Gooch is certainly big.

• Like 1

I really hope this class comes in with the biggest chip on their shoulders for all the doubters 

Jotting down names right now 

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f295s3dzbrrt6w5s9mfdx

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Disappointed in the class for sure but I'll judge this new staff on next year's Recruiting class. Pulling for Coach Harsin

It’s definitely tough , but I commend the staff on doing the best they could with the time they had . We now have a competent staff that will drive results on the field . 

30 minutes ago, SeattleTiger86 said:

I’m hoping Jboy means “big” as in large, like a HS OT. Gooch is certainly big.

Gooch already signed with Tennessee.

4 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

My impressions...

First of all, for all you guys that wanted a coach to talk and complained that Gus never said anything, you got it! Harsin can go on and on and on and say the same stuff over and over again. In his defense, he was asked the same questions and he is still trying to get his feet under him at Auburn, so I will give him a pass.

Secondly, it looks like we will see what kind of developer of talent he is. I would love some hard-nosed guys with an awesome work ethic and a hunger for the game. I am not bashing the current players at all, but we have needed a little more physicality to the team, a few more "biters". So, if Harsin is not a good developer, this will be an experiment in mediocrity.

Third, we really need this year's class to be successful on the field and generate excitement for the future.

Last, Harsin talked about culture a lot. I'm wondering, is Harsin fitting in and recruiting to Auburn's culture or is he trying to change what Auburn is? I'm not sure exactly how I feel about this. It is really a wait and see for me.

I agree. I see Harsin as an ambitious man but I'm not sure he quite understands the SEC and football culture in the South. It may take him more than one season to get it. I don't want Auburn to be a bigger Boise State. That won't work down here. And for Auburn to be successful he will have to get at least top 20 recruiting class next year because now we're way behind. I hope he can pull it off.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I am not sure there is much difference in the “football culture” in different areas. Great deal of difference between the “football fans culture though.

Well stated

From the day CBH was hired, until now (< 6 weeks ago), the program is in a lot better shape today. While it will never be fast enough for some, things are definitely trending up. Imagine a new staff trying to recruit with no campus visits and no in person meetings. Patience. Wisdom.

Edited by slyinsocal
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I am not sure there is much difference in the “football culture” in different areas. Great deal of difference between the “football fans culture though.

When the opportunities were available, Boise has consistently beaten several major P5 schools. Oklahoma, uga, FSU, Oregon, and Washington to name a few. And they've done it without anywhere near the resources those schools have. Harsin had a hand in all of it. He knows what it takes to win. He has a plan, and now a P5 school with the resources to execute it.

• Like 4

Not a single thing to be critical of regarding this class and where it ended up. Coach Harsin had 6 weeks to assemble a coaching staff and a recruiting class. Relationships matter in recruiting and life. All of the top 10 classes didn't get us anywhere because our real needs weren't being met in certain positions. Development of players was severely lacking too. Recruiting is a three/four year relay race and Gus dropped the baton. I believe Harsin can make up the ground but it's not an overnight thing. 

• Like 3

This is a snapshot of the Aggies 247 recruit composite rating from the past few years. Note the decline under Sumlin (insert Gus here) Fisher arrived in 2018 and like CBH had limited time to salvage then class. Note the baseline of that class. Then note what happens when a new and competent staff does when they have a vision to sell. Finally note a positive trajectory that directly aligns with positive improvement on the field. I have no doubt this same trajectory is headed our way. War Eagle 🦅 to Coach Harsin and his staff. 

D043CA33-F6B1-400D-99C8-A6D542156464.jpeg

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, aucat said:

Ranked@ 43 per Rivals, far behind the likes of UK, OleMiss, MSU, Vandy....  worst in 10+ yrs and last in SEC ? 

#30 in the 247 composite

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m impressed by the staffs ability so far. Let’s see how these young men develop before we roll over into the fetal position. 

6 hours ago, aucat said:

Ranked@ 43 per Rivals, far behind the likes of UK, OleMiss, MSU, Vandy....  worst in 10+ yrs and last in SEC ? 

Moves to 26 if we land Hunter and Brooks as expected. If our surprise is a high school recruit that’s a mid three star then it moves to 22nd.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It’s not over yet

Sounds good

23 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Moves to 26 if we land Hunter and Brooks as expected. If our surprise is a high school recruit that’s a mid three star then it moves to 22nd.

Or maybe higher if it’s the 4 star RB Hargrove from Ruston, LA committed to Miss St.  He’s who I’m hoping it is.

14 minutes ago, dilligas said:

Or maybe higher if it’s the 4 star RB Hargrove from Ruston, LA committed to Miss St.  He’s who I’m hoping it is.

Would put us at 21 on Rivals.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Yeah, noted recruiting analyst Clay Travis is definitely the one I look for when it comes to Recruiting. 

Actually, he was evaluating the data from 24/7 football recruiting composite index.  If interested, his YouTube piece is here and one could check out the 24/7 data as well which confirms his conclusions.  The recruiting stuff begins at around 1 min 50 sec.

11 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Disappointed in the class for sure but I'll judge this new staff on next year's Recruiting class. Pulling for Coach Harsin

Same. I think the upside with this class is they will come in with no coaching under the previous staff. They will learn to develop and be immersed under this entire new attitude and culture. They may not be loaded with 5*’s, but if they play hard and physical, I’ll be happy. Who knows, a couple may end up surprising us. 

• Like 1

Hargrove was a wild guess for me, but if you consider how he didn't sign and how null and void (other than in the passing game) RBs are in Leach's offense, it would make sense.  Of course, he doesn't SHOW an offer from us anywhere, but it could be a hush hush one, and his recruitment picked up very very late, like Hunter's.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dilligas said:

Would be a huge pickup IMO