2021 NSD Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Zeek

4 minutes ago, dilligas said:

Wow what a get Cody Brown would be.  A big highly ranked back.  Would fill out the RB room for 2021.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Last I saw Keith said AU is not interested in Cody Brown. Farrell is throwing darts on that one, which he does a lot.

4dc24635-02a2-4d9c-a662-bd940c332186_tex

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

FWIW an insider on the bunker WDE respects, Jughead, says he believes the flip is a transfer AU is waiting to announce after Hunter’s in.

I'm pretty sure this is an RB that's currently committed to UT.  He's been rumored for a week or so.  Would make some sense if we wait to get Hunter signed, then announce an RB.  Maybe shady, but whatever.  I'm sure Harsin can sell it as they are two different backs.

edit: maybe not from your recent posts.  Holding someone would only really make sense if they are at the same position 

Edited by W.E.D

16 hours ago, slyinsocal said:

From the day CBH was hired, until now (< 6 weeks ago), the program is in a lot better shape today. While it will never be fast enough for some, things are definitely trending up. Imagine a new staff trying to recruit with no campus visits and no in person meetings. Patience. Wisdom.

I think it is a monumental stretch to declare the program to be in better shape.  We will know that by the early signing period this fall. People easily forget the run of top 10 classes in our not so distant past.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, AU9377 said:

I think it is a monumental stretch to declare the program to be in better shape.  We will know that by the early signing period this fall. People easily forget the run of top 10 classes in our not so distant past.

Lol. Another oblivious apologist. Where have all those top 10 classes gotten us? I'll tell ya...6-4, 8-5, 7-6, 10-4 (disappointing despite record). Show me the money, man.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AU9377 said:

I think it is a monumental stretch to declare the program to be in better shape.  

I don't see any way you can think it's not.  To each their own though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Literally nobody forgets those. But you seem to forget, as @leglessdan points out, that those classes resulted in nothing much more than abject mediocrity. 

You can make the argument that it's early to say one way or the other, but it's not even a small stretch to assume that we're in better shape now by default, much less a "monumental" one.

PS- I suggest you go back and look at the recruits that buoyed those rankings and see how many of them had successful 3 or 4 year careers at Auburn. Also look at each position group and think about what it means when one of them goes three years without a single high school signee.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Class rank means nothing compared to CFP rank. Gus was good at one and not so good at the other.

I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to understanding recruiting ratings.  But it doesn't thrill me that most of these late additions have been 3-star players.

And that we lost out on a good 4-star linebacker...to Kentucky.

2 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to understanding recruiting ratings.  But it doesn't thrill me that most of these late additions have been 3-star players.

@MaxCohen216it’s just the casualties of a coaching change. Relationships win battles and for some of our remaining targets we had the short end of the relationship stick due to the coaching changes.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

A few points,

Relationships matter 

Mark Stoops didn't get fired. 

Losing out on 4 stars isn't new to us depending on the position but I think we're in good hands going forward. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I am not sure there is much difference in the “football culture” in different areas. Great deal of difference between the “football fans culture though.

Of course there is. There is a big difference between Idaho culture. and Deep South culture including college football. Auburn's players are mostly Southern born and bred and the SEC does football a little different too. And I never said the football culture was exclusively about the players. The fans are certainly a part of it. ALL of it will be an adjustment for him. The Iron Bowl will be his first dose of reality... especially if Auburn loses. Boise has nothing even close to that game for players or fans.

I'm not anti-Harsin at all. I'm not all in.....I'm not sure what I think about him or these Boise coaches. But I really hope they are successful because I love Auburn.

Edited by Tigerbelle
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

12 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Of course there is. There is a big difference between Idaho culture. and Deep South culture including college football. Auburn's players are mostly Southern born and bred and the SEC does football a little different too. And I never said the football culture was exclusively about the players. The fans are certainly a part of it. ALL of it will be an adjustment for him. The Iron Bowl will be his first dose of reality... especially if Auburn loses. Boise has nothing even close to that game for players or fans.

So you think kids that play football outside of the SEC don't love and care about the game with intensity? Why else would they play it? Coaches EVERYWHERE love the game. They eat, sleep and drink it. Many coaches welcome adversity and actually thrive to compete in it...I think that's Harsin. He wants to compete I think he's willing to go anywhere to get whoever he thinks can help him reach that pinnacle. I'll continue to think that until he proves me wrong, but all this sad, sappy stuff about recruiting rankings a few weeks after taking over a complete staff overhaul is just ignorant. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, MaxCohen216 said:

You are accurate to think that we will not beat our main rivals with predominantly three-star players. Any given three-star player can be better than any given five-star player. But a roster that is predominantly three-star players almost never beats roster of five-star players and will certainly never win a national title.

*I want to highlight that for a second. There has been a lot of discussion about the disappointment in a class full of three-stars vs people defending these recruits and trying to deflect the criticism. The criticism of a class full of three-stars is not a shot at any individual player. You can go all the way down the list and find a reason to be very happy about every single guy- I have, at least. But the numbers don't lie. 22 three-stars will lose to 22 five-star 9 1/2 times out of 10. That's not bashing. That's just statistical fact. Harsin would be the first to say it.*

As others have pointed out, there are reasons for us being in this situation. Those reasons are more or less beyond the new staff's control. But that doesn't mean that you or anyone else needs to be happy that we are in the situation. You're definitely entitled to that. 

But I will share my perspective, in case it helps. I am much happier about this class of predominantly three-stars than I would have been about Gus still being our coach. And I feel like my case for feeling that way is pretty ironclad. Especially since there was no indication that keeping Gus would have resulted in a better class than the one we are getting.

TL;DR It might be comforting to think less about where we are than where we have many reasons to think we're going.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

But I will share my perspective, in case it helps. I am much happier about this class of predominantly three-stars than I would have been about Gus still being our coach. And I feel like my case for feeling that way is pretty ironclad. Especially since there was no indication that keeping Gus would have resulted in a better class than the one we are getting.

yup!!!!!!

• Like 3

On 12/15/2020 at 8:30 PM, Zeek said:

Enrolled (6):

3-star OG Garner Langlo

4-star QB Dematrius Davis

3-star TE Landen King

3-star CB Kamal Hadden

4-star DT Lee Hunter

4-star S Ahmari Harvey

NLI Received (11)

4-star DT Marquis Robinson

3-star WR Hal Presley

3-star CB Armani Diamond

3-star DT Ian Matthews

3-star DL Tobechi Okoli

3-star OT Colby Smith

3-star Juco LB Joko Willis

3-star WR Tar’Varish Dawson

Northwestern Transfer WDE/Stud Eku Leota

3-star S Cayden Bridges

3-star DB Juwon Gaston

Committed (0)

Players to watch

3-star RB Jarquez Hunter (AU heavy favorite: Sign Time Friday 9 AM CT)

4-star DE Dylan Brooks (Tenn signee, waiting on Vols to release him: could be a few more weeks)

4-star LB Trevin Wallace (UK favored: Sign Time 8 AM CT)  KENTUCKY

3-star CB Dontae Balfour (UNC favored: Sign Time 4 PM CT) UNC

3-star Juco OT Jordan Moko (Texas A&M favorite: Sign Time Friday 2 AM CT) TEXAS A&M

Moko to TAMU is official (not a surprise)

Hunter signing in roughly half an our. If he signs with us we'd move up from 30th to 27th nationally.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

You are accurate to think that we will not beat our main rivals with predominantly three-star players. Any given three-star player can be better than any given five-star player. But a roster that is predominantly three-star players almost never beats roster of five-star players and will certainly never win a national title.

*I want to highlight that for a second. There has been a lot of discussion about the disappointment in a class full of three-stars vs people defending these recruits and trying to deflect the criticism. The criticism of a class full of three-stars is not a shot at any individual player. You can go all the way down the list and find a reason to be very happy about every single guy- I have, at least. But the numbers don't lie. 22 three-stars will lose to 22 five-star 9 1/2 times out of 10. That's not bashing. That's just statistical fact. Harsin would be the first to say it.*

As others have pointed out, there are reasons for us being in this situation. Those reasons are more or less beyond the new staff's control. But that doesn't mean that you or anyone else needs to be happy that we are in the situation. You're definitely entitled to that. 

TL;DR It might be comforting to think less about where we are than where we have many reasons to think we're going.

You’re totally right. A team full of 3 stars will almost always lose to a team full of 5 stars.

...good thing Auburn doesn’t and never is going to have a team full of 3 stars. 

Y’all are comparing being able to recruit players for 6 weeks tops versus being able to recruit for an entire year or two or three of four.

Realize that’s what this new staff was up against. Moving forward, there is no reason to believe that they will not produce the type of recruiting classes that come with the benefits of time and solid relationships (those take more than 6 weeks to build).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

6 minutes ago, Pat Fossum said:

You’re totally right. A team full of 3 stars will almost always lose to a team full of 5 stars.

...good thing Auburn doesn’t and never is going to have a team full of 3 stars. 

Y’all are comparing being able to recruit players for 6 weeks tops versus being able to recruit for an entire year or two or three of four.

Realize that’s what this new staff was up against. Moving forward, there is no reason to believe that they will not produce the type of recruiting classes that come with the benefits of time and solid relationships (those take more than 6 weeks to build).

tumblr_o0w1aq0qHB1tq4of6o1_250.gif

10 minutes ago, Pat Fossum said:

A team full of 3 stars will almost always lose to a team full of 5 stars.

Thanks for highlighting the extremes. This team is not full of 3 stars. We have one class where we had to plug in positions of need and those players are three stars. Big difference. People need to get a grip. Yet, if we find success with this group, they would be talking about how they knew it all along. 

• Like 3

Y'all can take this whiney nega-barner s*** somewhere else please.

This is a thread to be excited about new players who believe in Auburn and want to make an impact here.

I'm a star-chaser too but holy **** we've had a month to recruit what was left behind after ENSD (virtually all 3* players) and we've done a phenomenal job keeping a lot of guys people thought were gone (on the current roster) and keeping a lot of critical recruits from what was already a bad class.

It's not like Harsin said "hell yeah we gonna be duh 3* university forever weeeeeeee!"

Give the staff some damn time; we just had to hire a new DL coach like a week ago.

Edited by Zeek
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Y'all can take this whiney nega-barner s*** somewhere else please.

This is a thread to be excited about new players who believe in Auburn and want to make an impact here.

I'm a star-chaser too but holy **** we've had a month to recruit what was left behind after ENSD (virtually all 3* players) and we've done a phenomenal job keeping a lot of guys people thought were gone (on the current roster) and keeping a lot of critical recruits from what was already a bad class.

It's not like Harsin said "hell yeah we gonna be duh 3* university forever weeeeeeee!"

Give the staff some damn time; we just had to hire a new DL coach like a week ago.

I agree. Having to start late and organize and succeed as much the new staff has done is very positive. Especially finding some pieces needed in specific positions has been great as far as I am concerned.

• Like 1