Sarkisian to interview

RunInRed

On 12/18/2020 at 6:34 PM, sevenlee36 said:

Successful at Washington 

He was a raging alcoholic at Washington.....if you consider that successful. His team did not respect him because he was drunk a lot. 

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

He was a raging alcoholic at Washington.....if you consider that successful. His team did not respect him because he was drunk a lot. 

He’s wouldn’t be the first alcoholic coach I’m sure. I think before he started at Washington they were 0-12. 

12 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Ah yes.  Alcoholics never get help and turn their life around.  SMDH

THE POINT IS.....an alcoholic coach cannot maintain success and will do something bad to embarrass himself and his team. In today's world it will not be kept private like so much of his actions were then. When he went to the more visible school he was a disaster. Why take that risk when there are BETTER OPTIONS out there? It's not like he's that great that Auburn should even consider it. Why anyone can't see that is beyond me. Auburn does not have to settle for a problem candidate. 

THE POINT IS.....an alcoholic coach cannot maintain success and will do something bad to embarrass himself and his team. In today's world it will not be kept private like so much of his actions were then. When he went to the more visible school he was a disaster. Why take that risk when there are BETTER OPTIONS out there? It's not like he's that great that Auburn should even consider it. Why anyone can't see that is beyond me. Auburn does not have to settle for a problem candidate. 

You’re still describing him as something he hasn’t been in like half a decade lol. Didn’t know people remained the same their entire life 

4 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Wow.  Just.....wow.

4 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I’m not big on him for other reasons, but there are highly successful recovering alcoholics in all walks of life. 

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Ah yes.  Alcoholics never get help and turn their life around.  SMDH

It's not about turning his life around. It's still too early to know if he has, but I have my doubts. He's been given a lot of special treatment that most addicts don't have.

He was not just an alcoholic. He was abusing prescription drugs too. 

5 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

image.jpeg

It's not about turning his life around. It's still too early to know if he has, but I have my doubts. He's been given a lot of special treatment that most addicts don't have.

He was not just an alcoholic. He was abusing prescription drugs too. 

It's been five years.  You can't punish the man forever.  If he's gotten clean, and by all accounts he has, let the man move on.

Otherwise this some sanctimonious BS.

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

You’re still describing him as something he hasn’t been in like half a decade lol. Didn’t know people remained the same their entire life 

He will ALWAYS be an addict. It is a lifelong disease. There is no cure. And addicts have relapses after long periods of sobriety EVERY DAY.That's why the fight to stay sober is so hard and addicts have to stay away from what caused them to use in the first place. THIS is why I have doubts. 

Just now, Tigerbelle said:

He will ALWAYS be an addict. It is a lifelong disease. There is no cure. And addicts have relapses after long periods of sobriety EVERY DAY.That's why the fight to stay sober is so hard and addicts have to stay away from what caused them to use in the first place. THIS is why I have doubts. 

Saban wouldn’t put up with any relapses he would have been out of there long ago if any of that was going on.  I just don’t think you can keep holding it against the guy he has obviously cleaned up his act.

Seems like a strange hill to die on, Belle

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

It's been five years.  You can't punish the man forever.  If he's gotten clean, and by all accounts he has, let the man move on.

Otherwise this some sanctimonious BS.

Nobody is punishing him. That's a stupid remark. He has been given every break in the world and has really suffered very little. Most addicts do not land in such a cushy life. He has received kid gloves treatment by everyone. I know MANY people who have been sober 20 years and then succumbed to their addiction again. 5 years means nothing. He will always be an addict and how he manages it is up to the choices he makes for the rest of his life.

I could not disagree with the Alcoholic comment more. My dad, now deceased, was an alcoholic and never touched the stuff again after rehab. You live with it the rest of your life but he was more successful after rehab than before it. He had a clarity he never had as an active drinker. 

16 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Does Bear Bryant ring a bell, belle?

5 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Nobody is punishing him. That's a stupid remark. He has been given every break in the world and has really suffered very little. Most addicts do not land in such a cushy life. He has received kid gloves treatment by everyone. I know MANY people who have been sober 20 years and then succumbed to their addiction again. 5 years means nothing. He will always be an addict and how he manages it is up to the choices he makes for the rest of his life.

You can know as many people as you want.  I'm the son of an alcoholic.  I'm not some neophyte with what I'm talking about here.  I lived with the consequences of my dad's choices for my entire life.  I've seen first hand that people can and do turn things around.  Don't ****ing lecture me about something that I'm quite well versed in and deal with intimately.

Yes, Sark has been given resources to help.  And I'm betting he'd be given those same resources if he became HC at Auburn.

Will he always be considered an addict?  Yep.

But the question is: how is he doing now?  If the answer is "very well actually", and it appears that is the answer for the last five years, I don't see how you can't at least listen to what he has to offer your program.

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

I'm much less bothered by his alcoholism than I am his head coaching record. 

He's calling a gem tonight, though. 

It’s not just tonight. It’s no fluke obviously. 

Archived