Hang tight guys ...

RunInRed

Was just thinking that at Auburn, the more things change...well...they don't change, do they? For those old enough to recall, this whole thing now kind of smacks of Brother Bill Oliver and the last days of Terry Bowden.  Brother Oliver was pretty crafty at backstabbing and if people who claimed to know from those days are to be believed, Oliver expected to be named head coach at AU once Tot was gone. That plot also developed over a few seasons.

Same thing? Nah, not exactly. But pretty dang similar. I expect, or at least I hope, that if this is the case it all works out for Steele in exactly the way it did for Brother Bill. Regardless, in days to come I expect more than a few will look back on all of this and see huge mistakes. In a season of COVID-19 with nine returning starters, AU still had a winning record against a slate of 100 percent SEC opponents. New coach on the O-line who didn't have spring to teach. New offensive coordinator who didn't have spring to teach. And we fire the coach who never had a losing record. Shug Jordan would never had have his name on the stadium if he coached in this era.

War Eagle

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Was just thinking that at Auburn, the more things change...well...they don't change, do they? For those old enough to recall, this whole thing now kind of smacks of Brother Bill Oliver and the last days of Terry Bowden.  Brother Oliver was pretty crafty at backstabbing and if people who claimed to know from those days are to be believed, Oliver expected to be named head coach at AU once Tot was gone. That plot also developed over a few seasons.

Same thing? Nah, not exactly. But pretty dang similar. I expect, or at least I hope, that if this is the case it all works out for Steele in exactly the way it did for Brother Bill. Regardless, in days to come I expect more than a few will look back on all of this and see huge mistakes. In a season of COVID-19 with nine returning starters, AU still had a winning record against a slate of 100 percent SEC opponents. New coach on the O-line who didn't have spring to teach. New offensive coordinator who didn't have spring to teach. And we fire the coach who never had a losing record. Shug Jordan would never had have his name on the stadium if he coached in this era.

War Eagle

You can argue over the when, but Gus had to go. Auburn was paying big time money for middling results. It may not have been a losing record overall, but we were dominated by our rivals and were losing ground quickly in recruiting. Plus we had in-built recruiting issues like Gus' refusal to take recruiting offensive linemen seriously. In 7 seasons, we'd gone as far as we were going to go with Malzahn. If we had kept him another season, we'd have the same results if not worse. 

We may wind up just as bad off or worse because Auburn's problems obviously didn't begin and didn't end with Gus Malzahn, but both parties needed a better fit. Gus isn't a top level SEC coach and that's the kind of money Auburn is spending. 

49 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

War Eagle

Excuses are like a...well you know.

41 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

You can argue over the when, but Gus had to go. Auburn was paying big time money for middling results. It may not have been a losing record overall, but we were dominated by our rivals and were losing ground quickly in recruiting. Plus we had in-built recruiting issues like Gus' refusal to take recruiting offensive linemen seriously. In 7 seasons, we'd gone as far as we were going to go with Malzahn. If we had kept him another season, we'd have the same results if not worse. 

We may wind up just as bad off or worse because Auburn's problems obviously didn't begin and didn't end with Gus Malzahn, but both parties needed a better fit. Gus isn't a top level SEC coach and that's the kind of money Auburn is spending. 

Reckon as far as Gus goes, I'm more on board with Josh Pate and his take over at The Late Kick. There's a bigger picture.

1 hour ago, CleCoTiger said:

. Shug Jordan would never had have his name on the stadium if he coached in this era.

War Eagle

Shug was hired at  $12,000 a year.   The eras are not comparable.  Gus made, literally,  500 times more money than Shug.   Per year.  Expectations are a lot  higher now.  

edit because "eras" looks weird 

This is what happens when you have a bunch of old white dudes making all the decisions, out of touch. Out of touch with reality, with the kids, with the coaches. Still trying to run things the way they see it to be. That's why our facilities are trash, we look like clowns with the under armour stuff, even the way we broadcast stuff and show highlights and stuff like that.....we always have to be so different to a point where we look foolish......we're a joke

14 minutes ago, cole256 said:

This is what happens when you have a bunch of old white dudes making all the decisions, out of touch. Out of touch with reality, with the kids, with the coaches. Still trying to run things the way they see it to be. That's why our facilities are trash, we look like clowns with the under armour stuff, even the way we broadcast stuff and show highlights and stuff like that.....we always have to be so different to a point where we look foolish......we're a joke

Well you certainly aren't lying about most of that. 

14 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Yep. Same thing with wearing alternative uniforms. Anytime you even mention it the good ol boy fans literally almost pass out. I don’t care if we wear them or not but IMO we should do what the players want and I’m sure they would love that. I absolutely hate the under armor BS. It’s so old time Auburn it makes me sick. 

Same Gus apologists on here. Gus needed to be fired and quite frankly he deserve some blame for letting things get out of control underneath the scenes. Not all but definitely some.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Same Gus apologists on here. Gus needed to be fired and quite frankly he deserve some blame for letting things get out of control underneath the scenes. Not all but definitely some.

So, are you a Steele apologist?

Just now, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Yep. Same thing with wearing alternative uniforms. Anytime you even mention it the good ol boy fans literally almost pass out. I don’t care if we wear them or not but IMO we should do what the players want and I’m sure they would love that. I absolutely hate the under armor BS. It’s so old time Auburn it makes me sick. 

No kidding here. We need some Nike-like freshness. And maybe some alternate unis too.

Gus needed to go but I regret some of the things I said about him considering all the BS he had to deal with from higher ups all the way down to his subordinates. SMDH

I personally don't want any holdover from this staff when the new guys gets selected. They don't deserve to be at AU IMO

Props to Allen Greene for fighting for real change at AU.

4 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Gus needed to go but I regret some of the things I said about him considering all the BS he had to deal with from higher ups all the way down to his subordinates. SMDH

I personally don't want any holdover from this staff when the new guys gets selected. They don't deserve to be at AU IMO

Props to Allen Greene for fighting for real change at AU.

Yeah people were hating on him but it seemed like he was one of the few trying to get things done but the good ole boys wouldn’t let him. And people wonder why he was seeking other opportunities 

36 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Yeah we need some diversity. We need some old black billionaires in the mix too. 

4 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Yeah we need some diversity. We need some old black billionaires in the mix too. 

You can just look and see how just a little energy can really help a program take off. Look at what Deion Sanders is doing at Jackson State. Just imagine what that could've done with a place like here.....but that's something that wouldn't ever happen here. 

We're still fine with making folk heroes out of mediocre talent and arguing about how they are so great and making villains out of the guys who does have talent. 

2 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

War Eagle

Firing Gus was way over due. It’s been said a million times on here but it was time for him to go. It’s easy to defend him by saying “never had a losing record,” but failing to mention several damning stats about him. 

25 minutes ago, chizhead said:

Only AU coach retained should be Caddy. RB's consistently play well and Caddy seems to be a good guy and players really like him

I’m a big fan of Caddy as well, but disappointed that he was not able to hang on to Goodwin and lost MAR to the transfer portal. 

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You can just look and see how just a little energy can really help a program take off. Look at what Deion Sanders is doing at Jackson State. Just imagine what that could've done with a place like here.....but that's something that wouldn't ever happen here. 

We're still fine with making folk heroes out of mediocre talent and arguing about how they are so great and making villains out of the guys who does have talent. 

Deion Sanders? Lol that’s a giant publicity stunt. There’s zero evidence to believe that Jackson State is going to dominate the SWAC. 

13 minutes ago, aub4life said:

RIR, can you comment further this morning about how the purpose was served?  TIA

Any body want to take this for me ...

No wonder he kept hiring his former players smh and we thought Gus' trust issues were overblown. The program needs a thorough purge

Archived