Jeff Schmedding ILB and Co-DC

Zeek

UPDATED: CONFIRMED

Welcome to The Plains Jeff Schmedding - Inside Linebackers Coach / Defensive Run Game Coordinator

AUBURN, Ala. – Jeff Schmedding has been named inside linebackers coach and defensive run game coordinator at Auburn, head coach Bryan Harsin announced Saturday. Schmedding spent the past two seasons on Harsin's staff at Boise State as the defensive coordinator (play caller) for the Broncos.

"When you look at the defenses Coach Schmedding coordinated in Boise, they were championship caliber, so I know the work ethic and preparation he brings every single day," Harsin said. "He is a veteran presence on this staff that makes others around him better. The versatility he brings with the linebackers and connecting the attacking middle of our Auburn defense will complement the vision of Coach Mason as a whole."

After coaching Boise State's outside linebackers in 2019, he took over inside linebackers for the 2020 campaign. Schmedding's first season leading the defense was a strong one for the Broncos as they claimed the Mountain West championship with a 12-2 record and 8-0 mark in conference play. The Boise defense put together an impressive year, finishing in the top 15 nationally in team sacks (37) and in the top 25 nationally in scoring defense (20.6 ppg).

In 2019, Junior STUD end Curtis Weaver was named the 2019 Mountain West Defensive Player of the Year while leading the conference and finishing fifth nationally in sacks (13.5).  His 34-career sacks are a Mountain West record as well. Weaver was selected in the fifth round of the NFL Draft by the Miami Dolphins. Junior defensive back Kekaula Kaniho was also named to the All-Mountain West First Team. Kaniho was been named to the 2020 Lott IMPACT Trophy Watch List heading into the fall. Additionally, the Broncos had five other defensive players named to the 2019 Mountain West Second Team.

"I want to thank Coach Harsin for the opportunity to be a part of his staff at Auburn," Schmedding said. "My family and I are very humbled and honored to be a part of such a great university like Auburn. I'm excited to get to work and make the Auburn family proud."

https://auburntigers.com/news/2021/1/9/football-jeff-schmedding-named-inside-linebackers-coach-at-auburn.aspx

https://broncosports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/jeff-schmedding/596

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, wrb0010 said:

I'm not excited about Co-DC. Let Mason do his thing.

Co-DC is just a cute title usually. It's like the Assistant to the Regional Manager.

2 minutes ago, wrb0010 said:

These are just titles.

Do you guys seriously think there's two guys standing there taking turns calling plays or something? It will obviously be Mason's defense.

3 minutes ago, wrb0010 said:

That's a payroll/prestige title. Doesn't necessarily mean he'll be messing around in Mason's yard. 

So TWill out?

3 minutes ago, metafour said:

These are just titles.

Do you guys seriously think there's two guys standing there taking turns calling plays or something? It will obviously be Mason's defense.

I thought they player rock-paper-scissors to determine who was in charge each day? 

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I thought they player rock-paper-scissors to determine who was in charge each day? 

That would be a clear waste of time. Obviously they would flip a coin 

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That's a payroll/prestige title. Doesn't necessarily mean he'll be messing around in Mason's yard. 

So TWill out?

Seems like it. Bummer

2 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Tails never fails.

2 minutes ago, AUinfusion said:

Does this put the nail in TWill's coffin at AU?

Can he coach DBs? Yeah I would bet he's gone sadly.

16 minutes ago, wrb0010 said:

That’s just a title.  Mason will be in charge.  Keep in mind as an example, Rodney Garner’s title was Associate Head Coach and DL coach, but we all know he was just DL Coach.

So everybody that's been waiting on staff announcements here you go. Also just got to put my two cents in I think all these hires are harsin all the way, I don't think he would haveaccepted the Auburn position if anybody was trying to go above his head he doesn't seem like the coach that will take any nonsense, I think some people may have tried to put some influence in there but I don't think it's the case it's all Harsin which is a very good thing.

This title game thing is so silly and generic nowadays. Everybody knows the deal and that it’s just a formality. If it were me, I’d say pay the me $$$ we agree on to coach my position group and keep that embarrassing, worthless co-crap to yourself. 

1 minute ago, NoALtiger said:

This title game thing is so silly and generic nowadays. Everybody knows the deal and that it’s just a formality. If it were me, I’d say pay the me $$$ we agree on to coach my position group and keep that embarrassing, worthless co-crap to yourself. 

I guess it's probably worth something to recruiting too

13 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Who is Harbison

He’s DB Coach at Missouri.  Don’t know that he has hiring authority there though or why anyone on this board would care anyway.

23 minutes ago, wrb0010 said:

It makes sense in that Mason was a HC and is most likely looking for another HCing job.  If it takes a couple of years then Schmeddling will be learning what it takes to be a coordinator in the SEC and be ready to take over when the time comes.

14 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Too much luck involved there. It should be decided by skill. 1,2,3,4 - I declare a thumb war!

Archived