The Harsin Experiment

AUght2win

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

So has Urban Meyer. So has Art Briles. So has Hugh Freeze. So has Bobby Petrino's. A man's success is not indicative of his character. 

No. Urban Meyer left a hot mess at UF. Art Briles left a hot mess at Baylor. Bobby Petrino has shown that he has horrible character . He cheated on his wife and hired his mistress into a position (completely illegal of course). When has NS utterly destroyed or left programs a mess? You aren’t making any sense man. To me, you are looking my for perfection . Look at your examples ? lol . You live on extremes. 

“I think being able to play for someone like coach Saban, it gives you two sides,” Tagovailoa said. “It gives you someone who’s very hard on you. Someone who expects the best out of you. Then the other side where you get someone who is very caring. Very loving for his players. That’s who coach Saban was. On the field, he was very hard. He expected the best out of his players. He expected the best out of you.

“Off the field, he knew how to turn that off. It was like he wasn’t a coach anymore. He’s just someone who wanted to be there to help his guys in whatever way, shape, or form he could. I think having someone like that has helped me in the NFL because you deal with guys with different personalities. You deal with guys that are ‘hoo-rah’ guys that like to get in your butt. You also deal with guys where you’ve got to help them get the best out of them. I think that’s how he helped me.”

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2020/05/nick-saban-says-he-advised-jalen-hurts-to-pick-oklahoma-over-miami-maryland.html

Believe it or not, the reason I like CBH is because he gives me the feels and intensity of a Nick Saban. I hope and pray that is the case.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

So has Urban Meyer. So has Art Briles. So has Hugh Freeze. So has Bobby Petrino's. A man's success is not indicative of his character. 

Putting Art Briles in with the others seems a bit harsh.  Man essentially condoned rape.  IDK what Urban really even did.

People here hate Saban b/c he's at Bama.  Y'all would absolutely love him at Auburn.  He's definitely not in the realm of Petrino/Freeze and certainly not in the realm of Briles.  He and Urban would be damn good coaches and of high enough character for Auburn to have

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

I didn’t say most coaches . I said most SUCCESSFUL coaches. You can say what you want about NS, but high majority of his players respect the hell out of him. Not only his players but fellow superstar athletes. Someone who is not genuine is not getting that type of respect .

They don't respect him at all. What they want is a chance to play in the NFL and that's something he can do for them. None of them think he's a great man with integrity and character. They all know what goes on, and what he is. It's a totally different mindset between the nickster and his players. It's a business and it's treated that way. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 2

23 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Putting Art Briles in with the others seems a bit harsh.  Man essentially condoned rape.  IDK what Urban really even did.

People here hate Saban b/c he's at Bama.  Y'all would absolutely love him at Auburn.  He's definitely not in the realm of Petrino/Freeze and certainly not in the realm of Briles.  He and Urban would be damn good coaches and of high enough character for Auburn to have

You are completely wrong and very misinformed about the nickster and Urban. Both of them are men with no character or ethical standards. What Urban tried to do to Cam Newton is indicative of how much of a low-life scum he really is. And Saban would eat his young if he could get a competitive edge from it. 

You must have very low standards.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

13 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Google "Zach Smith".

But y'all are missing the point. College coaching, as a profession right now, has normalized dirty practices. I compare it to politicians.

A "good, honest" politician is still a term only relative to other politicians. Not the average job. Modern athletics and politics are unique in that they are two of the few professions where you can publicly, overtly, and habitually lie & have scandal yet still keep your job.

If you consider Saban a guy of integrity, you are doing so in comparison to other slimy men in his field. The average guy on the street has never unapologetically enabled a domestic abuser or let kids in his charge off the hook for gun charges. 

I'm sure Saban is a decent dude IRL, but he is making a living in a profession currently mired in unethical practices. Would you argue against that? 

I like what Harsin (and the Fitzgerald and David Shaws) represent. If he can win, maybe character can matter again in the sport, and more boys can be turned into men. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

And to think you've been on boards all this time.........LMAO 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, DAG said:

No. Urban Meyer left a hot mess at UF. Art Briles left a hot mess at Baylor. Bobby Petrino has shown that he has horrible character . He cheated on his wife and hired his mistress into a position (completely illegal of course). When has NS utterly destroyed or left programs a mess? You aren’t making any sense man. To me, you are looking my for perfection . Look at your examples ? lol . You live on extremes. 

Again, you are viewing it in terms of how good they are at coaching football. How much money they can make a very tiny percent of their players. You are looking through the lens of modern football - where wins and money are ALL that matter.

It shouldn't be that way. We are talking about programs that are responsible for 120, 18-22 year old boys at all times. Preparing them for success after football, and turning them into men should matter.

College football shouldn't just be this NFL development league, because the numbers don't work. There are 73,000+ NCAA football players. They all have about a 1.6% chance to be one of the roughly 1600 players in the NFL.

There needs to be more emphasis on the 98.4%. The harsh reality is that won't happen unless a guy like Harsin can prove tough-character programs can win. Right now, it hasn't been proven.

19 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Google "Zach Smith".

That is a good point about Urban and who he's hired

21 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

You are completely wrong and very misinformed about the nickster and Urban. Both of them are men with no character or ethical standards. What Urban tried to do to Cam Newton is indicative of how much of a low-life scum he really is. And Saban would eat his young if he could get a competitive edge from it. 

You must have very low standards.

Football is a cutthroat business.  There isn't a clean school, just shades of dirty.  Almost all programs in the SEC are very dirty.  Think there is a difference from being cut throat and being an awful person like Freeze/Petrino and Briles is on another level from them.

22 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I like what Harsin (and the Fitzgerald and David Shaws) represent. If he can win, maybe character can matter again in the sport, and more boys can be turned into men. 

Harsin is gonna have to get in the mud.  Or his accomplishment list will be as empty as Stanfords

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Football is a cutthroat business.  There isn't a clean school, just shades of dirty.  Almost all programs in the SEC are very dirty.  Think there is a difference from being cut throat and being an awful person like Freeze/Petrino and Briles is on another level from them.

I completely agree. And it has never been clean. But it's gotten waaaay grosser. And the pay has gone waaaay up to boot.

They need to pick one. Either cut these coaches pay to the 100k it was in the 80s, so we can at least understand these guys are mere football coaches and aren't expected to be good dudes. Or keep the pay high, but hold the coaches accountable. If a dude is making 10 million dollars a year off of kids, his priority should be making each and every one into a man built for post college success. 

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Harsin is gonna have to get in the mud.  Or his accomplishment list will be as empty as Stanfords

Well we'll have to see. That's what I posted this thread for. I hope he doesn't sacrifice his principles. Win or lose. I want to see if it can work.

Obviously, I want to win. And he won't be here otherwise. Gus was a good dude, albeit a bit of the bend-over-backwards for recruits type. But he didn't win and I wanted him GONE, regardless of how good a guy he was.

I've always said I don't think winning and being a good man are too much to ask. Certainly not for what these coaches are getting paid.

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

I completely agree. And it has never been clean. But it's gotten waaaay grosser. And the pay has gone waaaay up to boot.

They need to pick one. Either cut these coaches pay to the 100k it was in the 80s, so we can at least understand these guys are mere football coaches and aren't expected to be good dudes. Or keep the pay high, but hold the coaches accountable. If a dude is making 10 million dollars a year off of kids, his priority should be making each and every one into a man built for post college success. 

Yeah I agree.  There's too much money involved now at the NCAA level that they aren't going to hold anyone unless there is blatant proof.  Look at what is happening in basketball right now.  LSU's coach was literally funneling money through a damn hospital.  Nothing has really happened to a few other programs who were caught on FBI wire taps.

I wish the NCAA had a bit more teeth.  Cheating is at a near all time high.  Auburn drops bags too, so it's not like we're clean

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Well we'll have to see. That's what I posted this thread for. I hope he doesn't sacrifice his principles. Win or lose. I want to see if it can work.

Obviously, I want to win. And he won't be here otherwise. Gus was a good dude, albeit a bit of the bend-over-backwards for recruits type. But he didn't win and I wanted him GONE, regardless of how good a guy he was.

I've always said I don't think winning and being a good man are too much to ask. Certainly not for what these coaches are getting paid.

I think he can be cut throat and not cheat on his wife or look the other way when his players have multiple sexual harassment complaints against them.  Ha

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Again, you are viewing it in terms of how good they are at coaching football. How much money they can make a very tiny percent of their players. You are looking through the lens of modern football - where wins and money are ALL that matter.

It shouldn't be that way. We are talking about programs that are responsible for 120, 18-22 year old boys at all times. Preparing them for success after football, and turning them into men should matter.

College football shouldn't just be this NFL development league, because the numbers don't work. There are 73,000+ NCAA football players. They all have about a 1.6% chance to be one of the roughly 1600 players in the NFL.

There needs to be more emphasis on the 98.4%. The harsh reality is that won't happen unless a guy like Harsin can prove tough-character programs can win. Right now, it hasn't been proven.

No I am really not.  I just posted examples where NS is legitamitely taken into account off field and on field stuff.  UM was the epitome of an on-coaching field ball coach.  You mentioned Art Briles? He clearly had no hand in off the field stuff. Bobby Petrino? Clearly can't even handle himself personally. Legit every example you made about NS, all pertains to something on the field football related. You are all over the place. What are you even debating at this point? Did you even view the video I posted about Muhsin Muhammed? How he used his off field mistake to redeem himself, have a quality college football career and now has a child who attends Princeton? First of all he is a football coach first and foremost. His job is to get you to the next level. While doing that, his job is also to run a strong program, keep the players discipline and at the very least set them up for success. 

So again, what are you even debating? Are you looking for a squeaky clean, perfect coach? Are you assuming that is what CBH is? I highly doubt that. He is going to have to play the game like everyone else. That comes with the territory of being in the business of college professions. But at the end of the day, I think he, just like Saban, absolutely cares for the kids he is recruiting and wants what is best for them. That to me, is integrity. He is not out here playing favorites. Or refusing to grow as a mentor. Or worried more about his contract versus success on the field. The way he has created his program is for the maximum success for anyone who wears that crimson, whether you are a walk on or 5 star starter. And college football is primarily an NFL development league. PERIOD. To deny that is to deny reality. The great players you want CBH to get is signing on with the expectation you will get them to the NFL. It would be nice to have a bunch of Myrone Rolle on your squad, but this isn't Disney. This is not Coach Carter. And the illusion that somehow this is the way CBH operates is ridiculous. It is even more ridiculous when you take into account that we just paid a guy 21 million dollars to not coach here. 

Edited by DAG

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

This is pretty simple concept. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

You have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe you should google the nickster's past in Louisiana. The nickster IS an awful person, and I know this for a fact. There are people on this board who know why I can say that with such certainty. You are kidding yourself if you think he has any edge on Petrino, Freeze or Briles. He's right there swimming in the same cesspool with the rest of your choir boys.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

You have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe you should google the nickster's past in Louisiana. The nickster IS an awful person, and I know this for a fact. There are people on this board who know why I can say that with such certainty. You are kidding yourself if you think he has any edge on Petrino, Freeze or Briles. He's right there swimming in the same cesspool with the rest of your choir boys.

Say what you think you know? Specifics. How's it match up to turning a blind eye to countless rape and Domestic violence instances? 

Didn it come out that art was in fact just an innocent scapegoat?

Also, most the kids starting at major D1 schools are in bs programs and wouldn't even qualify without their athletic prowess. At least auburn was this was in the early 2010s. 

Players need to be paid tp be athletes. It's the only řeason many are even at school. If there was semi pro ball,  that's where you'd find the best players. 

4 hours ago, W.E.D said:

He can if he wants. Just don’t cross Nick for certain players or beat him on the field. End up just like Freeze and Pruitt. 

Just now, PoetTiger said:

He can if he wants. Just don’t cross Nick for certain players or beat him on the field. End up just like Freeze and Pruitt. 

Are you trying to say Nick set up Freeze calling hookers on a school phone and got UT boosters to destroy their own football program? 

That really doesn't make any sense. Also considering Gus is the winningest coach against him and he did nothing to us

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Are you trying to say Nick set up Freeze calling hookers on a school phone and got UT boosters to destroy their own football program? 

That really doesn't make any sense. Also considering Gus is the winningest coach against him and he did nothing to us

I was being somewhat sarcastic but it has been hinted at in circles Saban was not too happy with Freeze and his antics at OM. You know don’t bring to much attention to the SEC with your carelessness. It puts everyone under an unnecessary microscope. Probably cause Gus was not as careless and foolish as Freeze and Pruitt.

• Like 1

Just now, PoetTiger said:

I was being somewhat sarcastic but it has been hinted at in circles Saban was not too happy with Freeze and his antics at OM. You know don’t bring to much attention to the SEC with your carelessness. It puts everyone under an unnecessary microscope. Probably cause Gus was not as careless and foolish as Freeze and Pruitt.

Freeze was cheating his ass off. More than an anyone. I'm sure everyone was pissed, UGA was too. 

1 hour ago, PoetTiger said:

But just as “ in the pit” as they were?