The Harsin Experiment

AUght2win

3 minutes ago, Didba said:

You guys do realize it might be a pretty hard to pitch playing time to some of these highly rated transfer Olineman that want to come in and start immediately, when we have several starters coming back, some for their 6-7th year of eligibility?

Sure, CBH can tell them its an open competition that they have a good chance of winning and that may be true for one of the tackle spots, but some of these other spots could be hard for them to win the job.  These transfer guys could very well be saying "I love competition but I can go to XYZ school and almost be guaranteed a starting spot so Imma go there Coach."  Not saying its happening but I could easily see where it is hurting this staff's chances with portal guys.

Quite possible. Also possible we convinced the super seniors to come back because we missed on the portal guys. A real chicken or the egg scenario and we will never know the answer.

But it looks like Covid has somewhat saved the Oline for next season. Thanks, Covid!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

I agree here. As far as I’m concerned, we are the cellar dwellers in the West. This staff has done absolutely zero to prove otherwise. Harsin will get at least 3 years, but each day, he is looking like he is barely treading water against all of these other coaches. Argue all you want, but what makes any person that posts thoughts or opinions on this site, think we are better off now than when the bowl game was over. This team and program is in disarray and everyday I now question whether or not Harsin is the coach to change it. I honestly don’t see him turning this program around even if he was given 5 plus years. Hell, I’m not sure he can win 8 games, which is the standard in the West for mediocrity. I’m not sure we win 5 this next year. It’s just a ridiculous thing at this point. Say whatever, but it’s all true. If the cupboard was left bare by Gus on the OL, that’s no longer an excuse. I don’t think he has the ability or the want to recruit. It all starts with the HC and I was never a fan of Gus, but as a recruiter he seems to be light years ahead of this guy. 

LMAO... Harsin has been here for barely any time at all yet the cupboard being left bare by Gus is no longer an excuse? you for real?  Do you know how many years it takes to build connections with Oline recruits? Coaches are talking to these top guys in the 8th and 9th grade these days. It's gonna take a minute to build those relationships.

Also, we are cellar dwellers in the west despite beating Ole Miss and Arkansas last season? Like, c'mon man... we easily win 8-9 games this year if Bo doesn't break his ankle.  USCe? W. Bama? W. Houston? W.

Please tell me this is satire or I have fallen asleep and woken up in a land where no one applies logic to their takes and just emotionally spews drivel.

Edited by Didba
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, cbo said:

Quite possible. Also possible we convinced the super seniors to come back because we missed on the portal guys. A real chicken or the egg scenario and we will never know the answer.

But it looks like Covid has somewhat saved the Oline for next season. Thanks, Covid!

Straight facts, this is a perspective I had not yet considered.  Thank you for pointing that out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

I agree here. As far as I’m concerned, we are the cellar dwellers in the West. This staff has done absolutely zero to prove otherwise. Harsin will get at least 3 years, but each day, he is looking like he is barely treading water against all of these other coaches. Argue all you want, but what makes any person that posts thoughts or opinions on this site, think we are better off now than when the bowl game was over. This team and program is in disarray and everyday I now question whether or not Harsin is the coach to change it. I honestly don’t see him turning this program around even if he was given 5 plus years. Hell, I’m not sure he can win 8 games, which is the standard in the West for mediocrity. I’m not sure we win 5 this next year. It’s just a ridiculous thing at this point. Say whatever, but it’s all true. If the cupboard was left bare by Gus on the OL, that’s no longer an excuse. I don’t think he has the ability or the want to recruit. It all starts with the HC and I was never a fan of Gus, but as a recruiter he seems to be light years ahead of this guy. 

Umm? You do realize that Gus had us ranked in the 40s with this last recruiting class?  Harsin and his 👈 got us to 13 or we just not gonna admit that so we can have a I hate Harsin moment?🤷  Guess what? we aren't finished February signing class is still coming and I think we end up in the top ten.  😁 

I will admit I didn't like the way the season ended..........butttttttttt the way he finished off this class with him having been hamstrung due to covid and starting late really impressed me. Just wait till the 2023 class it will be even more impressive. 

In other words we are getting better and it will be better in the long run but you gotta practice patience young grasshopper. 

Edited by autiger88
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

The information I pulled up we have 2 other SEC teams ahead of us as far as total number of players to hit the portal. Not good when we lose players we want to keep but really believe it is a sign of the times.

1 hour ago, autiger88 said:

Umm? You do realize that Gus had us ranked in the 40s with this last recruiting class?

Um, you do realize that Gus had nothing to do with this last recruiting class? Harsin had us in the 40's.

Harsin and his 👈 got us to 13 or we just not gonna admit that so we can have a I hate Harsin moment?

We are currently 8th in in the SEC, 18th in the nation after Story de-committed. Even that's too high, because we are still counting the 4* safety as a football verbal, even though he will sign with and only play basketball at AU. After that safety moves off the football list, we won't be top 20.

Guess what? we aren't finished February signing class is still coming and I think we end up in the top ten.  😁 

Top ten? There aren't enough highly rated players left out there to bring us into the top ten. The vast majority have already signed elsewhere. For example, there is exactly ONE lineman in the Rivals 250 that hasn't already signed and has had some contact from Auburn. That guy is committed to FSU and shows no sign of flipping.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Um, you do realize that Gus had nothing to do with this last recruiting class? Harsin had us in the 40's.

We are currently 8th in in the SEC, 18th in the nation after Story de-committed. Even that's too high, because we are still counting the 4* safety as a football verbal, even though he will sign with and only play basketball at AU. After that safety moves off the football list, we won't be top 20.

Top ten? There aren't enough highly rated players left out there to bring us into the top ten. The vast majority have already signed elsewhere. For example, there is exactly ONE lineman in the Rivals 250 that hasn't already signed and has had some contact from Auburn. That guy is committed to FSU and shows no sign of flipping.

Ya know Mikey, I am honestly impressed with your sheer consistency at this point, the constant adherence to being negative about anything happening in the current regime.  I think I shall dub the King of the Negbarners or maybe Tsar of the Gus Apologists...

We can get Corgi guy, Aught2Win, Tigerbelle, and Viper and the rest of the crew to be your royal court.

/s

Edited by Didba
  • Love 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Didba said:

You guys do realize it might be a pretty hard to pitch playing time to some of these highly rated transfer Olineman that want to come in and start immediately, when we have several starters coming back, some for their 6-7th year of eligibility?

Sure, CBH can tell them its an open competition that they have a good chance of winning and that may be true for one of the tackle spots, but some of these other spots could be hard for them to win the job.  These transfer guys could very well be saying "I love competition but I can go to XYZ school and almost be guaranteed a starting spot so Imma go there Coach."  Not saying its happening but I could easily see where it is hurting this staff's chances with portal guys.

No.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, cbo said:

If anybody in the portal is scared of competing with our 7th year linemen, we don't want them. There's a reason they're still here and not headed to the league.

Pretty sure one of the guys returning was signed by Bowden.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, autiger88 said:

Umm? You do realize that Gus had us ranked in the 40s with this last recruiting class?  Harsin and his 👈 got us to 13 or we just not gonna admit that so we can have a I hate Harsin moment?🤷  Guess what? we aren't finished February signing class is still coming and I think we end up in the top ten.  😁 

I will admit I didn't like the way the season ended..........butttttttttt the way he finished off this class with him having been hamstrung due to covid and starting late really impressed me. Just wait till the 2023 class it will be even more impressive. 

In other words we are getting better and it will be better in the long run but you gotta practice patience young grasshopper. 

😐🤨

2 hours ago, Didba said:

Ya know Mikey, I am honestly impressed with your sheer consistency at this point, the constant adherence to being negative about anything happening in the current regime.  I think I shall dub the King of the Negbarners or maybe Tsar of the Gus Apologists...

We can get Corgi guy, Aught2Win, Tigerbelle, and Viper and the rest of the crew to be your royal court.

/s

You literally offer nothing to discussions on this board. In every thread you just list the best case scenario for the future as the probability and spin every single development as a positive.

You just tried to spin our staff missing on OL with the theory that our returning guys, the crew that's been here since Barfield, are "scaring off" portal talent. 

Seriously, you need to adopt some nuance or variety into your POV.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, Didba said:

We are whiffing equally bad on HS and portal linemen. 1 high school lineman in 12 months. Friend has extensive SEC recruiting experience and Bedell in the northwest and in our biggest position of need for the future we have 1 HS lineman signed. I’m on record as being a strong supporter of CBH, buts that’s very concerning no matter how you look at it. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

The information I pulled up we have 2 other SEC teams ahead of us as far as total number of players to hit the portal. Not good when we lose players we want to keep but really believe it is a sign of the times.

I guess it is a sign of the times.  Many of the ones hitting the portal had committed to the last coaching staff and in the past they would’ve just had to make the best of it with The new coaching staff.  Not now thanks to the portal.  I am assuming it’s that easy to transfer.

1 hour ago, SRBautigerfan said:

I guess it is a sign of the times.  Many of the ones hitting the portal had committed to the last coaching staff and in the past they would’ve just had to make the best of it with The new coaching staff.  Not now thanks to the portal.  I am assuming it’s that easy to transfer.

It’s certainly easy to hit the portal. Hopefully they all catch on somewhere.

Edited by Hank2020
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

Mmmm yes Gus did he was here in 2020 and got us that far when he was fired but you can choose what you wanna see. I mean at this point you would argue with a wall and try to win so.....🤷 Why are you even an Auburn fan when everything to you is doom and gloom? 🤷

I'm not arguing with you about any of this you choose what you wanna believe and go from there. 

Edited by autiger88
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

37 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

Mmmm yes Gus did he was here in 2020 and got us that far when he was fired but you can choose what you wanna see. I mean at this point you would argue with a wall and try to win so.....🤷 Why are you even an Auburn fan when everything to you is doom and gloom? 🤷

I'm not arguing with you about any of this you choose what you wanna believe and go from there. 

The current class is the class of 2022. You are getting your years mixed up. Gus has nothing to do with the class of 2022. Harsin did not bring the class of 2021 up to 13th. Our class of 2021 finished outside of the top 20. Are you in the middle of a drinking/indulging binge?

11 hours ago, weagl1 said:

Well I just saw an Athlon early preview and they have us as the Vandy of the West and it’s hard to argue with that after 5 straight losses, the last of which was that Birmingham Bowl, followed by mass defections to the portal during the off season plus the loss of Coach Eason.  I’m no feeling too good about the Harsin Experiment so far.  

We'll see how it plays out, but Bama is King.  LSU got worlds better with a new staff.  Aggies had the #1 signing class. Kiffen is absolutely destroying the portal on the offensive side of the ball.  Pittman has a ton coming back from a good team and has added a lot of pieces, plus a freak EDGE from Bama.

We took a cast off QB, nothing else on offense, but got a DB that is OK but probably a huge drop off from Roger.

I honestly can't blame them.  I haven't seen State do anything of note, but I think they just scored another TD

4 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

We are whiffing equally bad on HS and portal linemen. 1 high school lineman in 12 months. Friend has extensive SEC recruiting experience and Bedell in the northwest and in our biggest position of need for the future we have 1 HS lineman signed. I’m on record as being a strong supporter of CBH, buts that’s very concerning no matter how you look at it. 

At this point, it's so bad and how anyone could fail so miserably at recruiting the position is beyond comprehension, that you almost wonder if there is some greater plan that we don;t know about.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Didba said:

/s

Facing reality is part of growing up. Are you age 13? Trying to put a positive spin on the current recruiting failures is putting lipstick on a pig. No matter how you try, it's ugly.

No Auburn fan wants Harsin to fail. If he fails, Auburn fails. That being said, an honest appraisal of where we are at the moment is not being a "negabarner".

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

At this point, it's so bad and how anyone could fail so miserably at recruiting the position is beyond comprehension, that you almost wonder if there is some greater plan that we don;t know about.

I like it! We can keep telling ourselves that there's a secret plan and it all will be "just fine". :)

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I like it! We can keep telling ourselves that there's a secret plan and it all will be "just fine". :)

Finally!!

Mikey has seen the light!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, cbo said:

I would guess that's exactly what happened. We had a top tier of targets and missed on most of them. (Steen and Nourzad are the only names out there that I know of, and they're summer guys.) Our next tier is the guys we've already got. And then the tier after that is guys who aren't believe to be as good but who can provide depth and, of course, anyone who transfers after spring. 

Easy for me to imagine there will be some real talent after spring. If our OL is really as bad as folks want it to be, then the 2s from our rivals and several other schools will look pretty tasty. 

• Like 2