Dee Davis Article

Timbeaux38

1 hour ago, au701948 said:

Absolutely perfect time to work him into a genuine game situation. Of course not put the entire game on his shoulders, but allow him to compete. Better conditions than non-contact A-Day play.

And against his home town school. 

• Like 1

There was something said the other day about Dee's father letting CBH that he didn't want Dee to play this first year. That he want him to get his feet under him, learn the college game and scheme and get a good start on his academics.

I'm not sure about that, but would reinforce the complete lack of Dee all year. Has anyone else heard anything like that?

• Like 5

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

There was something said the other day about Dee's father letting CBH that he didn't want Dee to play this first year. That he want him to get his feet under him, learn the college game and scheme and get a good start on his academics.

I'm not sure about that, but would reinforce the complete lack of Dee all year. Has anyone else heard anything like that?

Yes. Also that he needs to work on taking care of the ball (both air and ground) if he wants playing time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

If true, that’s the appropriate way for a father to be involved with his son’s college football career. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

No but that would explain so much lol. 

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

3rdgeneration posted about it on the previous page of this thread. Said her husband read about it somewhere.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, nurbis said:

3rdgeneration posted about it on the previous page of this thread. Said her husband read about it somewhere.

Well, I trust @3rdgeneration implicitly!

Now her husband on the other hand...

He's obviously brilliant but...😂

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, nurbis said:

Thanks. I was about to say that I read it somewhere, but 3rd's post is what I read, lol.

But everything I've heard and read about Davis supports him having very good parenting, and that would be good parenting. Now, I do have a hard time believing that Harsin would agree to put his team at a competitive disadvantage at any point for that reason, so I'd love to get the details that we'll never get. But the only thing that matters is what happens going forward. LFG!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

If true, that’s the appropriate way for a father to be involved with his son’s college football career. 

I think it depends on how that message is delivered. From what I have read about the Davis family though, it was probably delivered in the right way.

• Like 1

Can you imagine if D Davis had some dedicated coaching from a QB coach/OC that had some NFL experience?   Or better yet, someone who had coached P Mahomes or even  Russell Wilson....we'd be

Crisco Cookbook : Cooking with Crisco Oil by Proctor and Gamble Staff  (1985, Hardcover) for sale online | eBay

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Or better yet, someone who had coached P Mahomes or even  Russell Wilson.

Did Austin Davis coach Mahomes, too? I don't see nearly the comparison between him and Dee as with Wilson, but still good to know.

Man, I just hope he gets a chance. He may not pan out, but we have already seen what the other quarterback has to offer. Let’s give someone else a shot in this bowl game. 

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Did Austin Davis coach Mahomes, too? I don't see nearly the comparison between him and Dee as with Wilson, but still good to know.

No.....just grabbing his name since he is mobile and a hot name.

• Like 1

Just now, Beaker said:

No.....just grabbing his name since he is mobile and a hot name.

Gotcha. Well, Dee is a Wilson clone and we actually are getting Wilson's coach so that's good enough for me!

• Like 1

I'm excited about the opportunity to see Dee in the bowl game.  I don't know how much of the playbook the coaches feel good about him calling but I'd love to see the bowl game run like Aday with TJ and Dee alternating series instead of Dee coming in for a couple obvious gimmick plays.  Also I hope he gets the opportunity to actually pass and doesnt just come in to hand off or run himself ala Gus playcalling.  I remember when D Craig was a freshman and Pat Nix was a Senior and Craig would come in on goal line situations and short yardage.  

One of the many major mistakes harsin made in his first year not playing him and for sure not playing him in the iron bowl, choosing rather to go with a one legged inaccurate qb that he asked to throw on first down with only 1:46 to play and UAT only having 2 time outs. If DD had played the second half and we had run rollouts, bootlegs, power and qb draws and handoffs to tank we would have won the game. That game, especially second half, is how a coach snatches defeat from the jaws of victory. Dont get your hopes up, for whatever reason he is never going to play DD!

• Haha 1

MMW Bowl Edition

1. Davis will get less than 5 snaps.  One throw
  2. This board will be mad

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Thanks. I was about to say that I read it somewhere, but 3rd's post is what I read, lol.

But everything I've heard and read about Davis supports him having very good parenting, and that would be good parenting. Now, I do have a hard time believing that Harsin would agree to put his team at a competitive disadvantage at any point for that reason, so I'd love to get the details that we'll never get. But the only thing that matters is what happens going forward. LFG!

If his father's request is true, I think Harsin would honor it, to whatever extent was reasonable.  I think he would respect the nature of the request, and see the wisdom in it.  I also think he would have put Davis on the field, if he thought it would have a good chance of preventing a loss.

Harsin was planning to kick off the season with a two-year starter, a transfer with SEC starting experience, and a #3 with G5 starting experience.  It would just make sense to focus reps on the 3 QBs in front of him, and have DD do what most freshman QBs traditionally do.  If Davis took a snap during the regular season, it was only going to be in the kind of mop up duty where the #1 and 2 QBs have already had their workout.  After game 2, there was no mop up duty like that to be seen.  I doubt Harsin ever considered putting him out there against Alabama.

My guess:  2021 was going to play out that way for Davis, regardless of any request from his father.  If anything, such a request from his father reinforced it.  I think the only exception to that would have been if Davis was just blowing the coaches' minds in practice.

• Like 2

I really hope Dee gets to show out in the bowl. Just from seeing him in limited time during the A day game I was surprised by his talent. It also says a lot about him knocking all these rumors about him transferring. It makes me think that people are afraid to go up against him given his amazing HS record in Texas. Win or lose it will be exciting to see him on the field. 

10 hours ago, McLoofus said:

What I heard is 3rd party info, so take it for what it’s worth. My husband read it on 247, he said.  Not sure if it’s true, but they said the parents had a meeting with Harsin and he promised to not play him this year. It would explain a lot.  

We won't know if Davis, or any number of others for that matter, stick around or not until after spring practice. Usually a number of kids drop out after they fail to move up the depth chart over the spring.