Chizik 2010 vs Harsin 2022 recruiting

Mikey

13 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Will you support Harsin for 8+ years if he loses 4-5 per year?

First he'd have to be a key factor in AU winning a national championship and also playing for another. Beating two #1 ranked teams in a three week period when said #1's are your biggest rivals also buys some credibility. If Harsin accomplishes these things, he'll have earned by praise.

11 minutes ago, Mikey said:

First he'd have to be a key factor in AU winning a national championship and also playing for another. Beating two #1 ranked teams in a three week period when said #1's are your biggest rivals also buys some credibility. If Harsin accomplishes these things, he'll have earned by praise.

So until he does those things (none of which happened in Malzahn's first year, since you're including his tenure as OC), you're going to be a sourpuss and make sure that everyone who takes the time to read your ramblings knows how much better Malzahn was than Harsin. You keep harping on how Malzahn wouldn't have had a losing season this year, completely ignoring the fact that virtually every single one of the players was brought in BY Malzahn to run HIS offense, as well as the fact that we changed philosophy on both sides of the ball this year (meaning different styles of players are better suited for it).

You may be fanatical about Auburn, but you sure don't know too much about football. I won't even touch the most glaring aspect of that absence of knowledge again. This time.

5 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

So until he does those things (none of which happened in Malzahn's first year, since you're including his tenure as OC), you're going to be a sourpuss and make sure that everyone who takes the time to read your ramblings knows how much better Malzahn was than Harsin. You keep harping on how Malzahn wouldn't have had a losing season this year, completely ignoring the fact that virtually every single one of the players was brought in BY Malzahn to run HIS offense, as well as the fact that we changed philosophy on both sides of the ball this year (meaning different styles of players are better suited for it).

You may be fanatical about Auburn, but you sure don't know too much about football. I won't even touch the most glaring aspect of that absence of knowledge again. This time.

This is the lamest excuse out there. South Carolina went through the same thing and improved from 2-8 to 7-6. AU should have improved, nine wins at a minimum.

Think about what little improvement it would have taken to get to a 9-3 regular season. Last year we were 6-4 in significant games. Go 6-3 in significant games this year plus the three gimme games and we're at 9-3. 6-4 to 6-3 isn't much improvement at all. Instead we fell to 3-7. Harsin may be the next coming of Pat Dye, but his first year sure is a plastic wal-mart bag full of dog poop.

• Facepalm 1

On 12/23/2021 at 8:51 PM, Mikey said:

There is solid basis for this probability. Look at the teams I posted above. The norm is to go through 3,4, or more coaches before a school hits on a keeper. We've been lucky. Even Chizik, who crashed and burned in year four, won a national championship in his second year. Sooner or later our luck will run out and we'll be on the Tennessee treadmill.

Harsin's record at BSU won't buy him much time at AU. He'll have to come up with some good wins by the end of year three if he wants to stay longer.

An 8 year head coach with a 74-24 career record at the D1 level. There’s not too many of those walking the streets these days. That being the trend of a 45 year old man actually running the program, it would be highly unlikely he’d be the one guy whose “luck” would run out. If someone of his caliber fails, it doesn’t bode well for the future of Auburn football. We’ll be a blind squirrel hoping to find a Dabo Sweeney nut in the wilderness.

Edited by slyinsocal

17 minutes ago, Mikey said:

This is the lamest excuse out there. South Carolina went through the same thing and improved from 2-8 to 7-6. AU should have improved, nine wins at a minimum.

Think about what little improvement it would have taken to get to a 9-3 regular season. Last year we were 6-4 in significant games. Go 6-3 in significant games this year plus the three gimme games and we're at 9-3. 6-4 to 6-3 isn't much improvement at all. Instead we fell to 3-7. Harsin may be the next coming of Pat Dye, but his first year sure is a plastic wal-mart bag full of dog poop.

South Carolina had nowhere to go but up. I don't know the dynamics of the situation in Columbia, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was more akin to our 2012 team where the players essentially quit on the coach. And how different were the schemes? Do you even know, or are you just assuming they were so different because they had different coaches?

We went from a press man defense to zone coverage. If he feels so inclined, I'd be willing to bet @bigbirdcould make your head spin with how different they are. Of course, the defense wasn't really the problem this year.

Now, with regard to the offense, it seems pretty clear that Mike Bobo was forced upon Harsin because the PTB demanded that he have an SEC presence such as Bobo. If you noticed, most of the time the beginning game script, which I'd bet dollars to pesos was presided over by Harsin, went pretty darned well. It was later in games, when the script ran out and Bobo started going to his predictable ways that things fell apart.

Oh yeah, almost forgot: the QB actually had to go through a progression on pass routes. It wasn't one read and then take off, like with Gus's offense. The blocking schemes are more intricate, the routes are more complicated (because they have to go for a longer period of time, since it's more than one read), and the QB's job is quite a bit more taxing mentally.

But why try to convince you of anything? You obviously know more than everyone else here does about football. I mean, why you aren't running your own NFL team and winning Super Bowl after Super Bowl is just beyond me...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If they only had an award for the biggest cherry picker in the world…….

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Now, with regard to the offense, it seems pretty clear that Mike Bobo was forced upon Harsin because the PTB demanded that he have an SEC presence such as Bobo....

I hope Harsin didn't accept getting assistant coaches he didn't want shoved down his throat. That would be even more disappointing than the won/lost record. Do you have any proof of this claim?

The word was that Harsin and Bobo coached against each other out west and thus, the connection. Was that all lies?

22 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Harsin may be the next coming of Pat Dye, but his first year sure is a plastic wal-mart bag full of dog poop.

Speaking of, what was Dye's record during his first season at Auburn, again?

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I hope Harsin didn't accept getting assistant coaches he didn't want shoved down his throat. That would be even more disappointing than the won/lost record. Do you have any proof of this claim?

The word was that Harsin and Bobo coached against each other out west and thus, the connection. Was that all lies?

They coached against each other when Bobo was at Colorado State, yes, and I'm sure Harsin agreed to it... but I sincerely doubt he would have made that choice if it was his choice to make. Maybe a compromise, since he did have a connection to Bobo, but there aren't many places where Bobo would be a first choice OC these days, especially not in the SEC.

And even if he DID choose Bobo, that changes nothing about the rest of my post, which was the part that actually makes a difference. You just didn't have a retort for it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

If they only had an award for the biggest cherry picker in the world…….

Don't like the USCe reference? Then try Tennessee. Improved from from 3-7 to 7-6 with their new coach and that after losing an even 30 players to transfers out and crawfishing on letters of intent.

Different schemes is a lame excuse looking for a place to hide.

• Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Don't like the USCe reference? Then try Tennessee. Improved from from 3-7 to 7-6 with their new coach and that after losing an even 30 players to transfers out and crawfishing on letters of intent.

Don't like one team that had nowhere to go but up? HERE! This is ANOTHER team that had nowhere to go but up...

5 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Speaking of, what was Dye's record during his first season at Auburn, again?

I don't remember. I do know Dye wasn't handed a team with the talent that Harsin was handed. Dye's first season we had two 150 pound running backs. Harsin had the returning SEC freshman of the year at RB. The list goes on....

Just now, Rednilla said:

Don't like one team that had nowhere to go but up? HERE! This is ANOTHER team that had nowhere to go but up...

And.... they went UP! Auburn had room to improve, but we went...DOWN.

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

And.... they went UP! Auburn had room to improve, but we went...DOWN.

Why did we have room to improve? Just because you say we did?

That 1981 team had Lionel "Little Train" James running for it. Don't try to talk about not having any weapons in the backfield. Also had a guy named Randy Campbell running the offense.

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I don't remember. I do know Dye wasn't handed a team with the talent that Harsin was handed. Dye's first season we had two 150 pound running backs. Harsin had the returning SEC freshman of the year at RB. The list goes on....

Oh, yeah, they also finished a game under .500. I don't know if they had the offensive line issues we did, and I suspect the receiver issues we had this year would have been moot running the wishbone, but hey, live in fantasyland as long as you like.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

When you had a 6-4 season, it's very, very clear that the team has room to improve.

7 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

That 1981 team had Lionel "Little Train" James running for it. Don't try to talk about not having any weapons in the backfield. Also had a guy named Randy Campbell running the offense.

James, while a wonderful little scat back, was no Tank Bigsby. Randy Campbell, who had been the third team QB and turned into a quality wishbone QB, was certainly no Bo Nix.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

When you had a 6-4 season, it's very, very clear that the team has room to improve.

Gus thought it was pretty good, if you recall.

But okay, room to improve. Completely new defense. Completely new offense. Clearly the best QB on the team hurt for the last three of those losses. No, no reason at all to not win more games.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

James, while a wonderful little scat back, was no Tank Bigsby. Randy Campbell, who had been the third team QB and turned into a quality wishbone QB, was certainly no Bo Nix.

No he wasn't, but he wasn't in the same offense. Campbell didn't have to throw the ball nearly so often as Nix did. Considering Campbell led us to a national title, I think you're selling him a little short.

21 minutes ago, Mikey said:

This beautiful little thing called google.com will tell you the answer.

Hint: it was a losing record

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

This beautiful little thing called google.com will tell you the answer.

Hint: it was a losing record

Yes, it was 5-6. That's the same record as the year before. Sadly, this time we've gone from a 6-4 winning record to a 6-7 losing record, and even that's deceptive. The 2021 AU team was 3-7 in meaningful games. 6-4 to 3-7 is not what I had expected with the "better coaching" we were supposed to be getting.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Congratulations. You just eliminated everyone except Gus. None of these coaches would make the cut..........Dye, Tuberville, Chizik, Shug…..none of them.

Edited by slyinsocal
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

Congratulations. You just eliminated everyone except Gus. Dye, Tuberville, Chizik, Shug…..all of them.

I don't know, Mike Donahue may have done something close to that.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Pruitt, for all his faults, actually left some talent behind.

Just now, slyinsocal said:

Pruitt, for all his faults, actually left some talent behind.

Enough left when he did to sink almost any ship. You don't lose 30 player and not be put in a bind.