Chizik 2010 vs Harsin 2022 recruiting

Mikey

7 hours ago, Viper said:

So at least 5 seasons? In an environment that fires HCs after 3 seasons for averaging 8 wins/season? You know to last 5 seasons, he will have to make a significant improvement over Gus to justify firing Gus? You realize Gus averaged 8.5 wins/season?

You don't count so well. Chizik was here for four seasons, not three. 

And he got fired not because he averaged over 8 wins a season (it's actually 8.25, not 8.5...no need to quibble over that, however), but because he didn't win an SEC game in his final year. Well, that and the fact that most people (myself included) gave Malzahn's offense more credit for the NC than they did Chizik's coaching, and there was the thought that we should snatch Gus up before he kept winning at Arky St and landed a job at a blue blood school.

15 hours ago, Viper said:

Mark my words… We will have a new HC by January 2024.

Mark my words: If we have a new HC by January 2024, it will be because we are the two-time defending national champions and the NFL came calling for our coach.

9 hours ago, Viper said:

After he gets boat-raced for 3 cycles by dink, kirbs & now Kelly, throw in Kiffin & Napier, he’ll be back in the NW by Jan 2024.

Yeah, counting is not your best skill. Kelly will have only coached 2 seasons in Baton Rouge come January 2024.

But again, don't let me get in the way of your effort to rain hellfire down on any optimism regarding Harsin. That's obviously your prerogative. 

I will, however, give you one thing: you're definitely fanatical about Auburn.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Viper said:

Mario. Then Napier.

Supposedly, AU offered both in that order with Harsin 3rd or 4th on the list. 

I’m a fan. Duh. 

Was working on package for MC then Oregon got into championship game and Auburn screwed around and lost him Napier was never offered.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Was working on package for MC then Oregon got into championship game and Auburn screwed around and lost him Napier was never offered.

How many times have you said this and how many more do you anticipate saying it?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Mark my words: If we have a new HC by January 2024, it will be because we are the two-time defending national champions and the NFL came calling for our coach.

Probability is that we'll have a new coach by January 2024 because the poor won/loss record demands a change. I do like your version better but it's not what happens in the real world.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Gus choked in both NC games, Ted Roof won us that NC.

That's idiocy. Find a recording and watch the final minute of the game against Oregon. Tell me what you notice on the sidelines, whose decision closed the final plays.

People saying Harsin doesn't have name recognition have zero idea what they're talking about.  Harsin is a very well known, well thought of coach. Maybe people need to expand their knowledge base before flippant, ignorant comments.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Viper said:

100% agreed on Mario bolting for Miami after the fact. Prior to the fact, he gave no indication he was leaving Oregon anytime soon. Yes we all know HCs lie, but no one with a horn loud enough was predicting him to Miami after he signed the big extension at Oregon. 

Also agreed on his in-game coaching abilities. dink and kirbs both suffered the same early in their HC careers, but blue chip recruits, which hires good assistants, covers up poor in-game decisions. I said one year ago on this forum the only realistic candidate we were after that could recruit toe to toe with those two was Mario. Recruiting solves all. A&M fans are about to find that out. Jimbo runs a boring old school offense like kirbs prefers (and what dink used to prefer), but the blue chippers are about to make A&M another elite SEC program, which is another dagger in our annual schedule. Brian Kelly won’t be far behind.

Never said Napier was better than Harsin. No one has a clue on that. But we all knew of Napier. Who here named Harsin as a serious candidate immediately after Gus was fired? Heck, who here had ever heard of Harsin prior to the day Gus was fired? The collective reaction on this board the day of his hiring was “Who?”

Now everyone here is backing him, 6-6 record n all. Because he gives good pressers? Because he’s the antithesis of Gus? The guy who just took over play-calling duties after he fired “his” guy and then hired a stand-in as OC. Haven’t seen that one in…oh…2 or 3 seasons.

Like it or not…with who he is competing against for recruits in addition to not having any name recognition…he is in an uphill, no-win situation to survive in the SEC. He can’t sell himself or the promise of the NFL because he has little to no evidence of it. He can’t sell a high-powered offense or a former Heisman winner like Gus relied on. The only thing he has to sell that is concrete proven is Auburn. Since Dye, that used to always work no matter our HC. Not any longer. Not in today’s SEC where you can no longer chalk up easy wins over Ole Miss, MSU, ARK & the East rotator. Throw in A&M + LSU about to become major forces and Harsin will be out three years tops.

So we admit it's tougher for Auburn to compete recruiting wise. Therefore, we can't complain when the Cristobals, Kellys, Meyers, and Bob Stoops of the world don't have the courage to take on that challenge. The one guy who was semi available, clearly is not an elite coach, and obviously prefers the easier path at an Oregon or a Miami.

Knowing all that, there is no choice, no alternative. Why not give Harsin 10,000% of your support and encourage his success, through thick AND thin? I would HOPE that we appreciate the one guy, with the winning pedigree, and the guts to accept this challenge. Either you're all in, or not.

If you want flash and dash and instant success, pull for uat or thuga.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:
1 hour ago, fredst said:

How many times have you said this and how many more do you anticipate saying it?

Forever

Well. at least until the next coaching search. Don't worry though, a lot of people seem to think that will only be two more years anyway

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mikey said:

That's idiocy. Find a recording and watch the final minute of the game against Oregon. Tell me what you notice on the sidelines, whose decision closed the final plays.

The whole sideline yelling at Dyer to run after Oregon thought he was down, they all deserve credit.

All I know is a team averaging 50 points a game was held to 19.  Another team averaging 43 points a game was held to 20.  Defense scored two points on a safety after offense failed to score at the goal line.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

35 minutes ago, bigbird said:

People saying Harsin doesn't have name recognition have zero idea what they're talking about.  Harsin is a very well known, well thought of coach. Maybe people need to expand their knowledge base before flippant, ignorant comments.

They just don't know...

5 minutes ago, Didba said:

Gus apologists make me want to puke.

:puke:know the feeling....

Edited by slyinsocal

16 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

The whole sideline yelling at Dyer to run after Oregon thought he was down, they all deserve credit.

All I know is a team averaging 50 points a game was held to 19.  Another team averaging 43 points a game was held to 20.  Defense scored two points on a safety after offense failed to score at the goal line.

Apparently you don't comprehend the written word very well. Here, I'll quote myself again for you: "Find a recording and watch the final minute of the game against Oregon. Tell me what you notice on the sidelines, whose decision closed the final plays."

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

How many have ever heard of Todd Dodge?

He must suck

I'll say I have never heard of Dodge but upon a brief glance at his resume, it speaks for itself and he played at TJ highschool in PA, Texas.  Only a stones throw away from where I stalked QBs on the grid iron.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Didba said:

Gus apologists make me want to puke.

You wouldn't have to puke if the very, very sick Gus haters would stop bringing him up. I never even think about Gus until I come here and some of the sickos start spewing their lies. I've never known a shrink to help anybody, but some of the haters might want to give therapy a try. Do you really want Gus to inhabit your heads forever?

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

25 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

If that's all you know, you don't know much about football in general or that game in particular. One should expect to face tougher defenses in a championship game. That should go without saying. Then there's Cam Newton's back injury early on, which clearly hindered his effectiveness. Go back and watch the whole game, apparently you need an educational refresher. Don't forget to watch the last few plays multiple times, paying particular attention to the AU sidelines.

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

You wouldn't have to puke if the very, very sick Gus haters would stop bringing him up. I never even think about Gus until I come here and some of the sickos start spewing their lies. I've never known a shrink to help anybody, but some of the haters might want to give therapy a try. Do you really want Gus to inhabit your heads forever?

From my perspective, the reason Gus gets brought up is bc the program is still dealing with the ramifications from the deficiencies that he caused during his tenure.  Further, he gets brought up when people like you, who really don't know what they are talking about and they show it every time they post, say things like Harsin XYZ this, Gus XYZ that.

It happens all the time and those of us that are high on auburn because we know football very well, and are optimistic about the future are sick of you and other being constantly being pessimistic about Auburn football and our current HC.

Honestly, some of you must love playing the Heel because y'alls takes are as bad as Skip Bayless's.  And before you get all huffy and say "whaaat? I know football, I have watched football my whole life yada yada, ad nausea and all that crap. "  I have read many of your takes over the past season and you don't know football beyond a fan level of understanding.  It's clear as blue bird day from the content of your posts.  So please, go at other posters with your BS but don't come at me with it because I don't suffer fools and I don't even have to do anything to point out that you are a fool when the content of your posts do it so well for me.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Didba said:

From my perspective, the reason Gus gets brought up is bc the program is still dealing with the ramifications from the deficiencies that he caused during his tenure.

He turned over a 6-4 team, that's 6-4 against an all-SEC schedule. A team that had all the key ingredients returning. Gus turned over an experienced team that lost the fewest to graduation and transfer that we've ever lost. He turned over a team that had never had a losing record.

The best we could do this year is 3-6 against our major competition. There is doubt as to weather you know football or not, but it's clear that you can't do elementary school arithmetic.

19 minutes ago, Mikey said:

He turned over a 6-4 team, that's 6-4 against an all-SEC schedule. A team that had all the key ingredients returning. Gus turned over an experienced team that lost the fewest to graduation and transfer that we've ever lost. He turned over a team that had never had a losing record.

The best we could do this year is 3-6 against our major competition. There is doubt as to weather you know football or not, but it's clear that you can't do elementary school arithmetic.

What you fail to take into account is that you can’t compare years.   Every team is different year to year.  All the other teams from the previous year, except South Carolina, did not have a coaching change.   

17 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Lost players only tell half the story. You are correct we had a lot of players return but we lost all of our starting WR's all of who were NFL or close to NFL caliber add that to the O-line returning which was not elite and you had a decimated Offense.   Without the threat of our WR's teams were able to clamp down on our running game.  Almost forgot Pappoe was out a good part of the season and our best NT Wright was out then luckily Harsin went to transfer Portal and picked up Fair, Leota, and Harris who were all key contributors.  Add to the fact that A&M, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Miss State were all improved from previous year. Then add losing Nix late in the season and you end up with 6-6 season.

So you are correct we had a lot of returning players but key players at WR were gone and injuries removed others in areas where we weren't very deep. Think how bad our D would have been without Leota, Harris, and Fair. 

44 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I notice you keep regurgitating Gus' 6 wins. 

You really can't compare them to your point.

Gus 6 wins were against teams that were .500( and 1 team had that record, LSU) or less in record. And they lost to a SC team that won only 2 games that year.

Gus had Bo all year to try to pull out wins. Harsin didn't have Bo for over 2 games, and had to go on the road to play SC again without him.

I'm not saying Harsin didn't have his issues, but Gus didn't prove anything that last year comparing him to Harsin.