Fall Practice Observations and Videos

toddc

44 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Thank you hope your ass is dragging do you even know what day it is?

I’m not sure what day it is but I think it’s one that ends with a  y.

Edited by toddc
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That stuff about balance, man. That's what I want to hear. 

You practice like you play, is something my dad always beat into me.  I have feelings that the last staff didn't stress this for virtually all players and positions 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

You practice like you play, is something my dad always beat into me.  I have feelings that the last staff didn't stress this for virtually all players and positions 

Yup. It was revelatory the first time a coach told me, "Practice doesn't make perfect. That's BS. Practice makes permanent." I actually felt like a huge dummy for ever believing the first version. 

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yup. It was revelatory the first time a coach told me, "Practice doesn't make perfect. That's BS. Practice makes permanent." I actually felt like a huge dummy for ever believing the first version. 

Oh gosh that’s what the coaches use to say at the Faulkner basketball camp lol. Good times, good times. 

• Haha 1

J.J. Pegues making progress as a defensive lineman

Auburn Defensive Backs in Action at Opening Practice

AUBURN, Alabama–The big move in spring practice for the Auburn football team, both literally and figuratively, involved super-sized tight end J.J. Peguesbeing converted to defensive tackle. With the Tigers in the first week of preseason drills, Defensive Coordinator Derek Mason said he likes the sophomore’s potential at the new position.

“J.J. is getting progressively better every day,” Mason pointed out. “Coach (Nick) Eason and Coach (Bert) Watts do a good job of pushing these guys in terms of the ending.” Eason is Auburn’s new defensive line coach and Watts is also a newcomer to the staff. He works with the edge rushers in addition to being the special teams coordinator.

Pegues, who is 6-3, 308 pounds, played in all 11 games as a freshman at tight end and started in Auburn’s victory over Arkansas. The former Oxford, Miss., High School multi-sport star caught seven passes for 57 yards and rushed five times for 14 yards last season. In high school he spent most of his time on offense, including quarterback, in leading his team to a state championship as a senior.

“I think it is a process so for him, just challenging him every day to be his best self, not getting frustrated if it doesn’t go exactly the way he wants it to go that day,” Mason said.

“I think J.J. is a guy who is extremely athletic and talented,” Auburn’s first-year defensive coordinator added. “He wants to do everything right so sometimes that can be a frustrating process. For him he picked it up fast and is getting better every day. The nuances are about repetition, but for him the more reps he is taking the better he gets.

10359137.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Sophomore J.J. Pegues (89) works against sophomore Keiondre Jones (58) and senior Brodarious Hamm (59) at the line. (Photo: Adam Sparks / Inside the Auburn Tigers, 247Sports)

“It is just good to see this big, explosive, strong and extremely athletic guy up front because when you watch him in one-on-ones or watch him in nine-on-seven he can move the line of scrimmage. He can move laterally. I just like the temperament that he has shown since he has come back from offense to defense.”

9COMMENTS

Mason, Pegues and the Tigers are preparing for the season opener and beyond. Auburn opens the schedule with a Sept. 4th home vs. Akron.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, toddc said:

J.J. Pegues making progress as a defensive lineman

Auburn Defensive Backs in Action at Opening Practice

AUBURN, Alabama–The big move in spring practice for the Auburn football team, both literally and figuratively, involved super-sized tight end J.J. Peguesbeing converted to defensive tackle. With the Tigers in the first week of preseason drills, Defensive Coordinator Derek Mason said he likes the sophomore’s potential at the new position.

“J.J. is getting progressively better every day,” Mason pointed out. “Coach (Nick) Eason and Coach (Bert) Watts do a good job of pushing these guys in terms of the ending.” Eason is Auburn’s new defensive line coach and Watts is also a newcomer to the staff. He works with the edge rushers in addition to being the special teams coordinator.

Pegues, who is 6-3, 308 pounds, played in all 11 games as a freshman at tight end and started in Auburn’s victory over Arkansas. The former Oxford, Miss., High School multi-sport star caught seven passes for 57 yards and rushed five times for 14 yards last season. In high school he spent most of his time on offense, including quarterback, in leading his team to a state championship as a senior.

“I think it is a process so for him, just challenging him every day to be his best self, not getting frustrated if it doesn’t go exactly the way he wants it to go that day,” Mason said.

“I think J.J. is a guy who is extremely athletic and talented,” Auburn’s first-year defensive coordinator added. “He wants to do everything right so sometimes that can be a frustrating process. For him he picked it up fast and is getting better every day. The nuances are about repetition, but for him the more reps he is taking the better he gets.

10359137.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Sophomore J.J. Pegues (89) works against sophomore Keiondre Jones (58) and senior Brodarious Hamm (59) at the line. (Photo: Adam Sparks / Inside the Auburn Tigers, 247Sports)

“It is just good to see this big, explosive, strong and extremely athletic guy up front because when you watch him in one-on-ones or watch him in nine-on-seven he can move the line of scrimmage. He can move laterally. I just like the temperament that he has shown since he has come back from offense to defense.”

9COMMENTS

Mason, Pegues and the Tigers are preparing for the season opener and beyond. Auburn opens the schedule with a Sept. 4th home vs. Akron.

I think if he can be very very good, like super good quickly, he can be one of the biggest keys to us having a surprise year

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Four-star freshman adds 'elite speed' to Auburn receiving corps

ByNATHAN KING 96 minutes ago

Wide Receivers On Opening Day of Auburn Preseason Football Practice

AUBURN, Alabama — As displayed for Auburn at wide receiver in recent seasons, speed is never a bad thing.

And after track star Anthony Schwartzturned a three-year career out wide for the Tigers into a fourth-round NFL draft selection a few months ago, Auburn could use an infusion of speed. The Tigers new coaching staff believes they have another burner at their disposal in freshman Tar'Varish Dawson, who has been turning heads with his athleticism in the opening few days of Auburn's 2021 preseason camp.

"(Dawson) has elite speed," Auburn offensive coordinator Mike Bobo said Monday afternoon during a chat with reporters. "Obviously he has track times, but he has game-changing speeds that can create explosive plays off his ability. Right now you can see the guy has speed; he's made some tough catches in practice; he's won some with his speed."

Dawson, a two-way player out of Lehigh Senior (Fla.), committed to Auburn last May. When Bryan Harsin was brought in, the four-star athlete was one of his first priorities to maintain in the Tigers' 2021 recruiting class. Bobo remembers liking Dawson's game and recruiting him when he was South Carolina's offensive coordinator last season. 

Dawson originally planned to sign with Auburn in December, just days after Gus Malzahn was fired, but he held off "to make sure I make the right decision."

Bobo said, once hired, he and Auburn's new staff got right to work recruiting Dawson to stay with his pledge — and it was "a good sign" for the future of the offense that Dawson ultimately inked with Auburn during the February signing period. He was a summer enrollee whose first practice with the team was last Friday.

Dawson's development takes on more importance now that he's the only wide receiver in Auburn's 2021 class. Hal Presley, a three-star out of Texas, started summer workouts with the team in June but entered the transfer portal just two weeks after reporting to campus. He landed at Baylor last month.

As promising as the early returns on Dawson have been, Bobo knows he and his coaches have to build up the freshman patiently over the course of this season and moving forward in his Auburn career.

But the potential is there, and Dawson has already shown flashes of explosive production in Auburn's passing game.

"Right now, it's learning what to do," Bobo said. "He's got talent, and that's our job as coaches to figure out what he can do and put himself in position to be successful. But I like his attitude. He likes football, he likes to compete."

Coincidentally, Auburn's first-year offensive coordinator said he spent a portion of his Monday morning talking with the freshman about the expectations for his first preseason with the program.

"We had a conversation this morning, him and I, about what he needs to keep working on to improve, and that's focusing on what his coach tells him on a daily basis and not getting ahead of himself — try to improve as a receiver each and every day," Bobo said.

Auburn lost its top three wide receivers — Schwartz, Seth Williams and Eli Stove — from last year's team, and its returnees at the position totaled only 23 receptions in 2020.

The Tigers did add some much-needed experience via the transfer portal with Demetris Robertson, the former No. 1 receiver recruit in the 2016 class who played his last three seasons at Georgia.

"I don’t know the exact numbers, but those guys (Schwartz, Williams and Stove) were a large, large percentage of the passing offense," Bobo said. "I told these guys the other day: It’s a credit to them what they did after spring practice. We weren’t where we needed to be coming out of spring practice in the passing game, and they worked extremely hard in what we call their play-around practices this summer. They got in their playbook, and we’re light years ahead of where we were when we finished spring."

Auburn gave players an off day Monday. The Tigers will practice for the rest of the week, with the first padded practice set for Thursday, leading up the first scrimmage of preseason camp Saturday evening inside Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Reciever update for @cole256

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, toddc said:

he's made some tough catches in practice

Especially this part @cole256

• Like 1

• Love 1

Live updates: Auburn coordinators talk preseason camp

ByNATHAN KING 5 hours ago

What We're Hearing From Fall Camps Across The Nation 8/8 (Late Kick Cut)

latekick-fallcampsacrossnation0808thumbnail.jpg

AUBURN, Alabama — With the players receiving an off day Monday, Auburn offensive coordinator Mike Bobo and defensive coordinator Derek Mason are set to meet with reporters to discuss the Tigers' first few days of preseason practices from the over the weekend.

Replacing former Arkansas coach Chad Morris running the Tigers' offense and coaching quarterbacks, Bobo is working with Bryan Harsin to implement a more pro-style scheme for Auburn in 2021, with more tight-end usage, under-center snaps for quarterbacks and downhill running for the tailbacks serving as a few of the points of emphasis.

After being let go by Vanderbilt following seven seasons as the Commodores' head coach, Mason is tasked with keeping up the high standard Auburn's defense created for itself in the five seasons under Kevin Steele. The Tigers, led by a loaded secondary and experienced linebacking corps, and are moving from a 4-2-5 base defense to a 3-4 under Mason.

Looking for interviews and if anyone else sees them please post.

Haven't finished the Bobo interview yet, but I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say he was gushing over Bo Nix - his work ethic, effort, etc. Sounds like they have developed a solid relationship. Also found his focus on vulnerability interesting. Never heard a coach put it that way, but glad to know Bo is taking coaching. Also glad to hear that he is spending a lot of time and effort with Bo on fundamentals and footwork. Seldom heard that from prior staff, and sort of confirms my suspicion that Gus never made it a priority.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, toddc said:

Four-star freshman adds 'elite speed' to Auburn receiving corps

ByNATHAN KING 96 minutes ago

Wide Receivers On Opening Day of Auburn Preseason Football Practice

AUBURN, Alabama — As displayed for Auburn at wide receiver in recent seasons, speed is never a bad thing.

And after track star Anthony Schwartzturned a three-year career out wide for the Tigers into a fourth-round NFL draft selection a few months ago, Auburn could use an infusion of speed. The Tigers new coaching staff believes they have another burner at their disposal in freshman Tar'Varish Dawson, who has been turning heads with his athleticism in the opening few days of Auburn's 2021 preseason camp.

"(Dawson) has elite speed," Auburn offensive coordinator Mike Bobo said Monday afternoon during a chat with reporters. "Obviously he has track times, but he has game-changing speeds that can create explosive plays off his ability. Right now you can see the guy has speed; he's made some tough catches in practice; he's won some with his speed."

Dawson, a two-way player out of Lehigh Senior (Fla.), committed to Auburn last May. When Bryan Harsin was brought in, the four-star athlete was one of his first priorities to maintain in the Tigers' 2021 recruiting class. Bobo remembers liking Dawson's game and recruiting him when he was South Carolina's offensive coordinator last season. 

Dawson originally planned to sign with Auburn in December, just days after Gus Malzahn was fired, but he held off "to make sure I make the right decision."

Bobo said, once hired, he and Auburn's new staff got right to work recruiting Dawson to stay with his pledge — and it was "a good sign" for the future of the offense that Dawson ultimately inked with Auburn during the February signing period. He was a summer enrollee whose first practice with the team was last Friday.

Dawson's development takes on more importance now that he's the only wide receiver in Auburn's 2021 class. Hal Presley, a three-star out of Texas, started summer workouts with the team in June but entered the transfer portal just two weeks after reporting to campus. He landed at Baylor last month.

As promising as the early returns on Dawson have been, Bobo knows he and his coaches have to build up the freshman patiently over the course of this season and moving forward in his Auburn career.

But the potential is there, and Dawson has already shown flashes of explosive production in Auburn's passing game.

"Right now, it's learning what to do," Bobo said. "He's got talent, and that's our job as coaches to figure out what he can do and put himself in position to be successful. But I like his attitude. He likes football, he likes to compete."

Coincidentally, Auburn's first-year offensive coordinator said he spent a portion of his Monday morning talking with the freshman about the expectations for his first preseason with the program.

"We had a conversation this morning, him and I, about what he needs to keep working on to improve, and that's focusing on what his coach tells him on a daily basis and not getting ahead of himself — try to improve as a receiver each and every day," Bobo said.

Auburn lost its top three wide receivers — Schwartz, Seth Williams and Eli Stove — from last year's team, and its returnees at the position totaled only 23 receptions in 2020.

The Tigers did add some much-needed experience via the transfer portal with Demetris Robertson, the former No. 1 receiver recruit in the 2016 class who played his last three seasons at Georgia.

"I don’t know the exact numbers, but those guys (Schwartz, Williams and Stove) were a large, large percentage of the passing offense," Bobo said. "I told these guys the other day: It’s a credit to them what they did after spring practice. We weren’t where we needed to be coming out of spring practice in the passing game, and they worked extremely hard in what we call their play-around practices this summer. They got in their playbook, and we’re light years ahead of where we were when we finished spring."

Auburn gave players an off day Monday. The Tigers will practice for the rest of the week, with the first padded practice set for Thursday, leading up the first scrimmage of preseason camp Saturday evening inside Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Reciever update for @cole256

Man. Where did Malcolm Johnson go.

23 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Haven't finished the Bobo interview yet, but I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say he was gushing over Bo Nix - his work ethic, effort, etc.

Bo is a worker for sure. On the team workout videos  he is always going all out. He’s a fierce competitor and I look forward to watching his growth in this offense. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Haven't finished the Bobo interview yet, but I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say he was gushing over Bo Nix - his work ethic, effort, etc. Sounds like they have developed a solid relationship. Also found his focus on vulnerability interesting. Never heard a coach put it that way, but glad to know Bo is taking coaching. Also glad to hear that he is spending a lot of time and effort with Bo on fundamentals and footwork. Seldom heard that from prior staff, and sort of confirms my suspicion that Gus never made it a priority.

Bo definitely didn't get along with Morris. Not sure if it was philosophy or lack of spring to gel, but they weren't made of each other. Probably also safe to say his sideline reactions wouldn't go over well with the new staff. 

That said... Seems like everyone is saying the right things. All positions, both sides of the ball. Hopefully it carries into the season 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Bo definitely didn't get along with Morris. Not sure if it was philosophy or lack of spring to gel, but they weren't made of each other. Probably also safe to say his sideline reactions wouldn't go over well with the new staff. 

That said... Seems like everyone is saying the right things. All positions, both sides of the ball. Hopefully it carries into the season 

Everybody always says the right things......Morris and Bo did, it's always the actions not the talk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

As opposed to Gus. “Bo had a good week of practice. Gon win some championships with him”. *in my best Jay G Tate Gus impression voice*

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

It's amazing how improvement happens when you actually apply the fundamentals huh? No secret techniques, just doing it right every single time

• Like 2
  • Love 1