Fall Practice Observations and Videos

toddc

1 hour ago, cbo said:

We had color commentators calling it out during games. Embarrassing. 

My son would call out alignment adjustments for the opposing team's D while watching. He started doing it when when he was 12.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

So, finally getting legit coaching can maybe do wonders 😉

I imagine so once you get those fundamentals down

46 minutes ago, bigbird said:

My son would call out alignment adjustments for the opposing team's D while watching. He started doing it when when he was 12.

Crazy, but I'm not surprised.

Maybe check if UCF is hiring. Can your son say "yes?" I hear that's a prerequisite for the offensive staff. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Really dumbfounding and sad at the stuff our players have to learn after the elementary style they've been used to. I really think Bo and the wrs will benefit greatly from this new approach.

Its just boilerplate football. Like the simple little buttonhook from Tinsley to Frazier in the video above, that we never saw in a game.. Simple fundamental football.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bigbird said:

I could see him doing that 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cbo said:

Crazy, but I'm not surprised.

Maybe check if UCF is hiring. Can your son say "yes?" I hear that's a prerequisite for the offensive staff. 

That's actually pretty funny cbo...sad but funny

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cole256 said:

I imagine so once you get those fundamentals down

Which should be hopefully reinforced with the elite coaching.  Our QB room is in drastically better shape than it has been in recent memory.  Hopefully it pays off.

The Mason and Bobo visits were great watches. I'm also going to have to get back in the habit of watching videos when they come out. I was wondering if i was just growing out of my passion for AU football as i get further away from my college days. I pulled up those videos a saw they were about 30mins a piece and planned to watch a few minutes of them. Watch both all the way through and thoroughly enjoyed it!

• Like 1

I am just happy to be looking forward to watching the games and practice videos.  It's been so frustrating and painful the past few years it was no longer enjoyable. 

• Like 3

where did coach gardner end up? i am curious to watch him and see if his game is upped after moving on from gus since he was supposedly unhappy.

26 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

where did coach gardner end up? i am curious to watch him and see if his game is upped after moving on from gus since he was supposedly unhappy.

Coach Garner is at Tennessee I think 

Edited by toddc
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, toddc said:

Coach Garner is at Tennessee I think 

thank you for taking the time to let me know!

• Like 1

Harsin active in practice: 'I just love listening to coaches coach'

When you’re watching Auburn practice you can always find Bryan Harsin right in the thick of it. Not standing around watching, but participating in practice.

Sometimes he’s one of the guys throwing to wide receivers during a drill. At other times the former quarterback is helping Bo Nix and the other Auburn quarterbacks with fundamentals. Or he’s over with the defense working in press coverage with the cornerbacks.

For Harsin, it’s all about his passion for the game.

Bryan Harsin talks with his team after practice.
Bryan Harsin talks with his team after practice. (Todd Van Emst)

“Hey, man, I love football. I love football. And I learn every day,” Harsin said. “When I'm on the defensive side, I'm all about tackling. I know schemes, and I see it from a different perspective on the offensive side. If I can help and provide just maybe what the offensive side might be thinking about that particular coverage or technique, or how much of a problem that can be... I'll provide information.”

While he was spotted with the receivers during a media viewing window, Harsin says he also spent part of the practice with cornerbacks coach Zac Etheridge and tried to help them out while picking some things up.

“But I love just listening to coaches coach,” Harsin said. “I love to hear the players communicate out there and see the techniques… I want to be around it. That's our team. That's the one thing about being a head coach, getting to go out there and be on every side with every group. Then you pick the winners, right? The defense is winning, I want to go hang out with them. The offense is winning, I want to go hang out with them. Special teams, I want to be with those guys. That's the fun part about being the head coach, you get to cheer for each side.”

Harsin joked that he liked to hang out with the winners of practice, but also emphasized that correcting the mistakes and helping the losing side out is a big part of it, too.

“I enjoy seeing those guys work and being there and just try to pick them up, help them out, encourage them, re-emphasize whatever the coach is saying. At the same time, too, when it's not going well, let them know that we've got to fix this,” Harsin said. “One thing that we're learning right now is that we know that there's going to be mistakes and things we have to correct. But what I hope these guys understand is, once they recognize whatever it is they need to do better, they're able to just move towards improving and making that decision to intentionally get better at whatever it is that they can improve on. That's why I bounce around. I enjoy that.”

• Like 3
  • Love 2

OL was working on combo blocks today and the following combos were paired in the drill:

Hamm & Council (RT & RG)
Coffey & Stutts (RT & RG)
Manning & Jackson (LG & LT)
Tate Johnson & Zierer (LG & LT)

Did not see Troxell.

Edited by ValleyTiger
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, toddc said:

Harsin active in practice: 'I just love listening to coaches coach'

When you’re watching Auburn practice you can always find Bryan Harsin right in the thick of it. Not standing around watching, but participating in practice.

Sometimes he’s one of the guys throwing to wide receivers during a drill. At other times the former quarterback is helping Bo Nix and the other Auburn quarterbacks with fundamentals. Or he’s over with the defense working in press coverage with the cornerbacks.

For Harsin, it’s all about his passion for the game.

Bryan Harsin talks with his team after practice.

Bryan Harsin talks with his team after practice. (Todd Van Emst)

“Hey, man, I love football. I love football. And I learn every day,” Harsin said. “When I'm on the defensive side, I'm all about tackling. I know schemes, and I see it from a different perspective on the offensive side. If I can help and provide just maybe what the offensive side might be thinking about that particular coverage or technique, or how much of a problem that can be... I'll provide information.”

While he was spotted with the receivers during a media viewing window, Harsin says he also spent part of the practice with cornerbacks coach Zac Etheridge and tried to help them out while picking some things up.

“But I love just listening to coaches coach,” Harsin said. “I love to hear the players communicate out there and see the techniques… I want to be around it. That's our team. That's the one thing about being a head coach, getting to go out there and be on every side with every group. Then you pick the winners, right? The defense is winning, I want to go hang out with them. The offense is winning, I want to go hang out with them. Special teams, I want to be with those guys. That's the fun part about being the head coach, you get to cheer for each side.”

Harsin joked that he liked to hang out with the winners of practice, but also emphasized that correcting the mistakes and helping the losing side out is a big part of it, too.

“I enjoy seeing those guys work and being there and just try to pick them up, help them out, encourage them, re-emphasize whatever the coach is saying. At the same time, too, when it's not going well, let them know that we've got to fix this,” Harsin said. “One thing that we're learning right now is that we know that there's going to be mistakes and things we have to correct. But what I hope these guys understand is, once they recognize whatever it is they need to do better, they're able to just move towards improving and making that decision to intentionally get better at whatever it is that they can improve on. That's why I bounce around. I enjoy that.”

I need that merch he got on.

1 hour ago, ValleyTiger said:

OL was working on combo blocks today and the following combos were paired in the drill:

Hamm & Council (RT & RG)

Did not see Troxell.

It was asked elsewhere but I’ll ask here.....keiondre Jones????

1 hour ago, TigerPAC said:

Something weird seems to be going on there. I know we're not supposed to speculate and I have absolutely no desire to make any guesses, but it doesn't take speculation to see something is at least a little off there. I was watching the 247 video of O-line drills today and pretty sure I spotted Keiondre and Jeremiah Wright jogging on the side together. Jeremiah was not dressed out but Keiondre was fully dressed. I really believe the young man is one of our best lineman, so I hope everything turns out ok. We really need him

10 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

He was out there, served as a LB in the combo drill that I saw.

Seems to have slipped some, not sure why bc I like him.

24 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Garner Langlo has been standing out on the Oline per Council

Have high hopes for him. In every class there's a guy who stands out to me for some weird reason (aka no legitimate reason whatsoever) and he's the guy for me in his class. 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Have high hopes for him. In every class there's a guy who stands out to me for some weird reason (aka no legitimate reason whatsoever) and he's the guy for me in his class. 

I'm really proud of stutts, he's a hometown kid that really transformed his body or at least upped his athleticism more than I thought he could to be honest. He trained with a hometown hero and one of the best athletes to ever come out of Florence, Rayfield Ragland. He played college basketball at Clemson for our former Auburn coach Cliff Ellis. Many say he should've played football in college instead, he was that good.

But anyway, he really worked. I actually saw one of his sessions at the University of North Alabama complex one time and it made be tired just to watch. Seriously. This is one of the reasons I know players still take breaks and spend time at home too btw.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

Hamm & Council (RT & RG)

Did not see Troxell.

I'm speculating here, but I'm thinking that Troxell is getting a little rest at times, bc of his history w/ injuries. Don't want to wear him out or down this early into camp.