Fall Practice Observations and Videos

toddc

6 minutes ago, toddc said:

It's 'Football 101' for Auburn wide receivers in fall camp
by Jason Caldwell
24 minutes ago

AUBURN, Alabama—Heading into his fourth football season at Auburn following a standout career at Hoover High School, Shedrick Jackson is the most experienced wide receiver on the roster for the Tigers, but he admits that he feels like he’s starting over with the change in offense from Gus Malzahn’s system to the one that Bryan Harsin and Mike Bobo are installing for the 2021 season.

“I would say it’s a lot more to learn and that’s a good thing, too,” Jackson said of the role for the wide receivers. “It’s more opportunities for us, route combinations and certain routes we never ran in the past before. Just learning to do things like that, it’s more of a pro-style. I think we are getting the hang of it and starting to make plays.”
Coming from an offense where many of the decisions were made from the sidelines well before the ball was snapped, Auburn’s offense is one that now challenges everyone to learn to think on their own and do it to make the correct pllays in the heat of battle. Harsin said it’s something they are working on daily.
“Yeah, every guy on the offensive side, you are  asking them to think,” Harsin said. “You have to really go out there and understand what coverages are, what techniques the DBs are playing against you and why. Tight ends, what are they doing? Look at the front, look at the coverage, look at the safeties.

“Right now, we ae just in Football 101, it feels like so we're really understanding why the defense does what it does? What are the advantages when they are in this look? How do we take advantage of a defense when they are in another look? We are teaching guys that right now.”
All that comes together when the ball is snapped and the quarterbacks, wide receivers and tight ends all have to be on the same page to make the offense work. Jackson said that is what the focus has been early in camp with the players taking what they learn from the film room to the practice field and vice versa.
“People have made plays, but it’s not only on the field, it’s off the field too in the film room,” the senior said. “We get together, we watch film because we understand we have to learn defenses and see the same thing that Bo (Nix) is seeing. That helps out the whole offense and makes it run more smoothly.”

Harsin noted that there are plenty of benefits to learning what the defense is trying to do and how to combat that on offense. One of those is just plain enjoyment of the game and being successful. Having an answer is the key to being successful in football on both sides of the ball. What you do when someone gives you a different look is the ultimate answer in football’s chess game. Harsin said he wants to equip his players to be able to have those answers themselves and make plays.
“When you start to understand why and what teams are trying to do and the different ways to go up there and win in those situations — I think it gives you a lot more confidence and enjoyment in the game,” Harsin said. “We are teaching that right now. That's part of what these guys in these installs and everything are doing. It's kind of Football 101. Alright, here's the looks. Here's how we are going to go out there and execute this play against it. When they do this, we do that, and so on and so forth.
“At the end of the day, you hope to get some type of advantage from that with your players being really, really smart guys," Auburn's coach added. "When you can do that, you can play fast, you can play physical. You kind of talk about that zone — that's really what you want to play in. Like, you know these are all the things that you have worked on. Now you just go cut it loose. Now you go out there and that talent and that hard work and technique, and all those things you have been working on, really shine because you are going to be in the right spot and you are going to do the right thing and your are going to trust the players around you. That's all going to happen. When those things are all combined, good things happen.

This says a lot about where we were with the old offense. 

This speaks on alot of things I was trying to say as far as the wr lacking in the draft process. Our guys had to wow with athletic stuff and that's it. Didn't have the opportunity to wow with the mental part. Everybody seems to be more happy with not having to hold their head down when it comes to what offense did they run in college. Now they don't have to play catch up.

Actually now that I write this, that can actually still be effecting our wide outs. I know when I moved from Florence to Huntsville and I started playing for my new team I got much better once I became acclimated with the plays

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, toddc said:

Carries himself well and is a great rep for Auburn. Growing up before our eyes. Even his acne is cleared up which is a sign of growth in its own right. 😝 

I feel better now that I heard him admit to not playing well last year. He still wouldn't come out and say it but I think that's from media training. That was one of my big problems with media day, if he wasn't acknowledging his problems I couldn't get behind that. 

So I enjoyed this much better. Now as far as preference I myself prefer guys who are more real, I feel like when I can see their personality it allows me to connect to a player. But that's just my preference of course. Tomato. Tomato. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I feel better now that I heard him admit to not playing well last year. He still wouldn't come out and say it but I think that's from media training. That was one of my big problems with media day, if he wasn't acknowledging his problems I couldn't get behind that. 

So I enjoyed this much better. Now as far as preference I myself prefer guys who are more real, I feel like when I can see their personality it allows me to connect to a player. But that's just my preference of course. Tomato. Tomato. 

I'm genuinely curious to know what Bo is like around the locker room, around his teammates, etc. He doesn't let on very much in interviews. 

• Like 1

Oh and also loved to here this. @McLoofus you know this is all I've been saying the last couple of years. I feel like this can make him into a new QB. 

“To me, with Bo, it’s doing the little things over and over and I’m talking about fundamentally,” Bobo said. “He had a really good day on day three. I thought he was sharp. I thought he was fundamentally sound. He was on-balance in the pocket when he threw and he finished on-balance. That’s a lot of what we havve been talking about with him of being on-balance and getting his feet in the ground. You’re going to be more consistent throwing the ball.

“Just becoming a more consistent passer, to me that’s with his fundamentals that we talk about every day. That goes back to him being vulnerable and taking coaching, and not having all the answers and listening. The number one thing for me, you never get away from talking fundamentals. You’ve never arrived.

“You are always looking at the fundamentals of each play, your drop and where your eyes are and how you set your hips," Bobo said. "All those little things we talk about. A scheme is a scheme, but doing the fundamentals over and over is the main thing with him and I like where he’s at. There is a lot of improvement to be made, but he has made a lot of improvement the short time we’ve been here.”

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Oh and also loved to here this. @McLoofus you know this is all I've been saying the last couple of years. I feel like this can make him into a new QB. 

“To me, with Bo, it’s doing the little things over and over and I’m talking about fundamentally,” Bobo said. “He had a really good day on day three. I thought he was sharp. I thought he was fundamentally sound. He was on-balance in the pocket when he threw and he finished on-balance. That’s a lot of what we havve been talking about with him of being on-balance and getting his feet in the ground. You’re going to be more consistent throwing the ball.

“Just becoming a more consistent passer, to me that’s with his fundamentals that we talk about every day. That goes back to him being vulnerable and taking coaching, and not having all the answers and listening. The number one thing for me, you never get away from talking fundamentals. You’ve never arrived.

“You are always looking at the fundamentals of each play, your drop and where your eyes are and how you set your hips," Bobo said. "All those little things we talk about. A scheme is a scheme, but doing the fundamentals over and over is the main thing with him and I like where he’s at. There is a lot of improvement to be made, but he has made a lot of improvement the short time we’ve been here.”

And not just what it means for Bo but what it means for our approach to coaching the position under Harsin. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

And not just what it means for Bo but what it means for our approach to coaching the position under Harsin. 

He has been preaching mental aptitude. Knowing what you are doing and why you are doing it. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, toddc said:

by Jason Caldwell
24 minutes ago

AUBURN, Alabama—Heading into his fourth football season at Auburn following a standout career at Hoover High School, Shedrick Jackson is the most experienced wide receiver on the roster for the Tigers, but he admits that he feels like he’s starting over with the change in offense from Gus Malzahn’s system to the one that Bryan Harsin and Mike Bobo are installing for the 2021 season.

“I would say it’s a lot more to learn and that’s a good thing, too,” Jackson said of the role for the wide receivers. “It’s more opportunities for us, route combinations and certain routes we never ran in the past before. Just learning to do things like that, it’s more of a pro-style. I think we are getting the hang of it and starting to make plays.”
Coming from an offense where many of the decisions were made from the sidelines well before the ball was snapped, Auburn’s offense is one that now challenges everyone to learn to think on their own and do it to make the correct pllays in the heat of battle. Harsin said it’s something they are working on daily.
“Yeah, every guy on the offensive side, you are  asking them to think,” Harsin said. “You have to really go out there and understand what coverages are, what techniques the DBs are playing against you and why. Tight ends, what are they doing? Look at the front, look at the coverage, look at the safeties.

“Right now, we ae just in Football 101, it feels like so we're really understanding why the defense does what it does? What are the advantages when they are in this look? How do we take advantage of a defense when they are in another look? We are teaching guys that right now.”
All that comes together when the ball is snapped and the quarterbacks, wide receivers and tight ends all have to be on the same page to make the offense work. Jackson said that is what the focus has been early in camp with the players taking what they learn from the film room to the practice field and vice versa.
“People have made plays, but it’s not only on the field, it’s off the field too in the film room,” the senior said. “We get together, we watch film because we understand we have to learn defenses and see the same thing that Bo (Nix) is seeing. That helps out the whole offense and makes it run more smoothly.”

Harsin noted that there are plenty of benefits to learning what the defense is trying to do and how to combat that on offense. One of those is just plain enjoyment of the game and being successful. Having an answer is the key to being successful in football on both sides of the ball. What you do when someone gives you a different look is the ultimate answer in football’s chess game. Harsin said he wants to equip his players to be able to have those answers themselves and make plays.
“When you start to understand why and what teams are trying to do and the different ways to go up there and win in those situations — I think it gives you a lot more confidence and enjoyment in the game,” Harsin said. “We are teaching that right now. That's part of what these guys in these installs and everything are doing. It's kind of Football 101. Alright, here's the looks. Here's how we are going to go out there and execute this play against it. When they do this, we do that, and so on and so forth.
“At the end of the day, you hope to get some type of advantage from that with your players being really, really smart guys," Auburn's coach added. "When you can do that, you can play fast, you can play physical. You kind of talk about that zone — that's really what you want to play in. Like, you know these are all the things that you have worked on. Now you just go cut it loose. Now you go out there and that talent and that hard work and technique, and all those things you have been working on, really shine because you are going to be in the right spot and you are going to do the right thing and your are going to trust the players around you. That's all going to happen. When those things are all combined, good things happen.

Really dumbfounding and sad at the stuff our players have to learn after the elementary style they've been used to. I really think Bo and the wrs will benefit greatly from this new approach.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, toddc said:

by Jason Caldwell
24 minutes ago

It was beyond obvious

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It was beyond obvious

There's folks on this site who didn't listen for years when some of us would point this stuff out.  They're pretty quiet right now.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

There's folks on this site who didn't listen for years when some of us would point this stuff out.  They're pretty quiet right now.

Man. Not one my bad

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

There's folks on this site who didn't listen for years when some of us would point this stuff out. 

Y’all obviously just hated the previous coach. They were just being the *real* Auburn fans and supporting the leader of the team- who, if you haven’t heard, is just a really nice man who always represented Auburn with class

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, toddc said:

Even his acne is cleared up which is a sign of growth in its own right. 😝 

Well he is engaged maybe that has something to do with that........:timeout:

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Well he is engaged maybe that has something to do with that........:timeout:

Might be why she said yes.

• Like 1

Let’s cause some damage baby! Everything he says gets me fired up.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

JBoy fundamentally misunderstanding the plot of Star Wars might be one of the most interesting developments of the offseason. 

By a mile

• Like 2

😂 

Edited by toddc

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

I feel like this can make him into a new QB. 

So, finally getting legit coaching can maybe do wonders 😉

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

It was beyond obvious

You got 2 routes in his offense. A 9 and a screen and you only play one position that only runs one of the two. 

7 minutes ago, toddc said:

I really dislike Jboy. 

Mainly bc how terrible his twitter feed is and he constantly deletes predictions that don't come true

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I really dislike Jboy. 

Mainly bc how terrible his twitter feed is and he constantly deletes predictions that don't come true

I can't say I dislike him, but that Twitter feed is unbearable. Had to unfollow. 

17 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

and he constantly deletes predictions that don't come true

Im glad I’m not the only one that notices his obvious style of “make predictions and then walk it back with excuses that nobody can possibly check”. Lol

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cbo said:

I can't say I dislike him, but that Twitter feed is unbearable. Had to unfollow. 

Block retweets

• Like 1