WR coach Cornelius Williams fired

Barnacle

3 hours ago, AUlurker said:

So I attended the game, and saw a coach with a play sheet near the line of scrimmage when the defense was on the field. Now being in the student section, the Auburn sideline is across the field, so I assumed it was Mason. I think it made sense that he could've been on the sideline calling plays directly to Zakoby, and cleared up a lot of communication and alignments on defense.

My son, family and friends said the same thing. They flat out said it was Mason.

8 hours ago, God Cam It said:

Did Bobo act like an insubordinate know it all after Harsin pulled Bo? Did Caddy act like an insubordinate know it all after Harsin pulled Tank after his fumble (and yes I know Tank wasn't 100% but the game was in the line and I assure you Harsin didn't want to lose it despite it being just Georgia State)? The answer to those is no. Now Harsin also took over the WR rotation from Corn and something happened to where Harsin fired him shortly after depite knowing it would look bad. 1 + 1 = _____. 

Do we know that's what happened with Corn?

2 hours ago, AU-24 said:

My son, family and friends said the same thing. They flat out said it was Mason.

I was told it didn't happen.  Plus, that seems like something some Auburn news outlet would have mentioned.  I remember that being a thing with Kevin Steele and various OCs as well - reporting on whether they'd be in the booth or not and then reporting if a unit was struggling and that changed.  

13 hours ago, David Strickland said:

The WRs have also been missing a lot of their blocking assignments to support the run game.

I know one thing...John Samuel has completely whiffed on at least 1 block in each game.  Like he got O'le-d by a Matador...as well as he has played otherwise, and as much as I appreciate his valiant efforts this year, those things stick out like a sore thumb.  Blocking by WR and TE on perimeter has been pretty atrocious.

I think it’s a lot of reaching going on. Harsin when building his staff wanted a blend of his own coaches sprinkled in with some coaches familiar with Alabama and the recruiting landscape. Corn for the bill. It probably was simple as things just not working out from a chemistry, communication, and philosophy standpoint. Or maybe Corn is not used to the high level of expectations Harsin had. Regardless there was a disconnect and instead of putting games on the line sorting it out, he opted to move on. Good thing he had an experienced staffer in place to keep some continuity going, and not have to bring in a new face 4 games in. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Tigerfinz said:

I know one thing...John Samuel has completely whiffed on at least 1 block in each game.  Like he got O'le-d by a Matador...as well as he has played otherwise, and as much as I appreciate his valiant efforts this year, those things stick out like a sore thumb.  Blocking by WR and TE on perimeter has been pretty atrocious.

I've seen it too

Even if he went down there it couldn't be he made a decision himself to go down to the sideline, it has to be he was chewed out and told to go?  Lol. Ok

1 hour ago, Tigerfinz said:

Blocking by WR and TE on perimeter has been pretty atrocious.

I've never seen more screens get blown up like I did vs the PSU game

• Like 1

There's been a bunch of reaching. Lol. That's why I keep asking the same question, I guess it can't get answered and it sparks anger for some reason.

I had 3 guys I haven't ever spoke to come at me in anger. I've had a couple of guys who have been passive aggressively at me for literally years that I don't even remember what they are upset about. I've had some who pretend they don't notice me but like anytime someone jokes or comes at me coincidentally. And I've had people that are supposed to be cool with me get mad.

And the entire time nobody can answer the question. I've heard he was insubordinate, I've seen it be exaggerated about wr play, I've seen the fact that a guy who normally doesn't play was late getting in and now that's a fireable offense.....which I guarantee we will do again, possibly as early as next week.....You see it in the NFL, you'll see bammer do it, uga, whoever you say is a well ran team.......

Oh and with all the reaching it was stupid to suggest that a former auburn football player would know more than the average Joe on a message board about the football program.....that is reaching but the other stuff makes sense. Literally the same guy said that's stupid but when a random guy made up all of this negative stuff nobody knows about the coaches character he co-signed.

And people get mad at me for asking how does this make sense......this season is going to be wild😂

9 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I've never seen more screens get blown up like I did vs the PSU game

This last game I saw deal literally turn around in a circle and when he completed the turn a db pushed him over. But this is the second best group as far as talent on offense. Then when I thought about it I couldn't argue. It really may be.....But that just shows our talent level. We need an upgrade of talent across the board

• Like 1

After sleeping on it...we'll see how this plays out....But I don't see why this couldn't have been done after the season.  It could be good and deserving or it could be bad and just look terrible from an overall program management standpoint.  Harsin apparently has no history of firing coaches mid-season, so this is out of character.

I don't think I buy the "Someone needs to be fired" nonsense line.  Part of me doesn't want to buy it b/c I think it's a really terrible look from a leadership standpoint.  You're 4 games into a season, knowing this isn't an immediate fix...firing a guy just b/c (especially when probably 8/10 position coaches are underperforming) just doesn't make sense.  Especially firing a guy who is well regarded as a good young and up can coming coach who you essentially hand selected...one that has direct ties to the state you reside.  It doesn't make logical sense.  You could elevate the new WR coach and essentially give him all the duties and fire him in the offseason.  The same thing would be accomplished.

Everyone said it's football related.  Maybe it coaching philosophy or not seeing eye to eye or his position group is being handled so much worse than anyone else's.  I'm not sure.  I still don't see why this couldn't have been done after the season & given the new guy just a much larger role.

The only way this ends up looking good for Auburn is if our WR group starts excelling and becoming a top unit...but with the rest of our problems on offense I'm not sure how possible that really is.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

This last game I saw deal literally turn around in a circle and when he completed the turn a db pushed him over. But this is the second best group as far as talent on offense. Then when I thought about it I couldn't argue. It really may be.....But that just shows our talent level. We need an upgrade of talent across the board

Deal was praised as our best blocker on offense last year.  I'm kinda surprised about that.

• Like 1

Just now, W.E.D said:

Deal was praised as our best blocker on offense last year.  I'm kinda surprised about that.

Yeah. Me too! You can probably imagine when he was pushed down I at least wanted him to get up and push the guy back. The second half of that game though everybody was whipped. I didn't think the first half was that bad, I didn't think it was good but I thought it was enough.....the second half we couldn't hardly run at all. Like the hb's were getting hit immediately. And you could see it on TV their d line was so small

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I watch the little interactions between the lines because if you watch closely you can tell if your guys are in trouble or not. You can look at mannerisms and tell who's winning that fight if you pay attention

12 hours ago, cole256 said:

I say secondary guy. A corner want be in and it will show how pathetic that is to happen and put some violin music on it and there you go

??? 

12 minutes ago, shabby said:

??? 

A corner will not be in the game when he is supposed to be. It had happened every game. It's the thing a majority point to as far as it happened once on offense when the wr was supposed to be in but they had to call him to come out and get lined up

That happens on defense all the time so when a corner doesn't get in the secondary coach will get fired

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Lots of people wanted "No more MR. Nice Guy". Now we don't have a Mr. Nice Guy. I can get used to it real easy, I hope others can too. When you ask for a hard-azz and you get a hard-azz, take the bitter with the sweet.

A number of players were shown the door before the season started, now coaching heads are starting to roll. It's nothing to get upset about. If we've hired the right guy it will be obvious in three years. If he's not the right guy that will also be obvious.

In the meantime, let's be supportive.

Exactly! We have some dumb fans... 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, RunInRed said:

It’s not Boise Boys versus the SEC it’s Boise versus the “potato gang” 

we knocking potatoes now red? by gawd i will not stand for it.where is the nearest sonic where you live? and how big a boy are you? grins

Edited by aubiefifty
typo

21 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Lots of people wanted "No more MR. Nice Guy". Now we don't have a Mr. Nice Guy. I can get used to it real easy, I hope others can too. When you ask for a hard-azz and you get a hard-azz, take the bitter with the sweet.

A number of players were shown the door before the season started, now coaching heads are starting to roll. It's nothing to get upset about. If we've hired the right guy it will be obvious in three years. If he's not the right guy that will also be obvious.

In the meantime, let's be supportive.

Honestly, this is where I'm at as well.  I get the optics of firing a coach midseason aren't great.  But at the same time, I like a coach willing to hold everyone accountable.  If he doesn't feel like he and an assistant coach can't get on the same page after spring and fall practices and four games, do something about it.

And of course this is all assuming there weren't other factors involved.  I've heard the notion of being insubordinate in some way.  No head coach should put up with that.  No idea if that's true though.  In fact, from what people who've followed Corn's career say, it doesn't sound like him at all.  But who knows?

But like you say, we wanted a hardass - a wolf.  It looks like we've got one.  Now we just have to see how it plays out.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

That’s $300k per year

I'll admit... when I first read the piece, I read it as 600,000 per season.  Even so............................

2 hours ago, Tigerfinz said:

If he doesn't whiff on the Hunter Hurdle play Hunter likely scores. JSS was jogging towards the play watching instead of going to block the one man that had an angle.

• Like 1