SEC Pods and Semifinal Play-In

RunInRed

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-only-playoff-greg-sankey-admits-conference-is-considering-a-range-of-possibilities/

Boom.  Was waiting to see if this would ever get legs.  With 4 pods of 4, you can easily create a playoff within conference.  Obviously a lot of decisions as we have previously discussed with number of games etc. But Sankey has now mentioned this possibility.  So interesting at least. 

16 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-only-playoff-greg-sankey-admits-conference-is-considering-a-range-of-possibilities/

Boom.  Was waiting to see if this would ever get legs.  With 4 pods of 4, you can easily create a playoff within conference.  Obviously a lot of decisions as we have previously discussed with number of games etc. But Sankey has now mentioned this possibility.  So interesting at least. 

So would the SEC just break from the CFP? Yknow, if it meant we get the 4 pods of 4 exactly as originally proposed…

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, AUwent said:

So would the SEC just break from the CFP? Yknow, if it meant we get the 4 pods of 4 exactly as originally proposed…

I mean we've all said winning the SEC is tougher than the natty.  So why not lol

• Like 1

Just now, AUBwins said:

I mean we've all said winning the SEC is tougher than the natty.  So why not lol

Saban will probably oppose since he can't cake walk through the playoff if it's all SEC teams. 

• Like 1

I've said since I joined here that between NIL and the SEC adding UTA and OU the NCAA governance of college football is over. The big boys will split away. 

2 hours ago, GunsmithAU said:

I've said since I joined here that between NIL and the SEC adding UTA and OU the NCAA governance of college football is over. The big boys will split away. 

I think they are floating that just to prod. Not enough viewership IMO to be a reality.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

I think they are floating that just to prod. Not enough viewership IMO to be a reality.

They don't need viewership. If the SEC decides they want to leave, the acc, B12, b10, and pac will automatically jump on board. 

The usefulness of the NCAA has lapsed in major athletics. 

• Like 1

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2022/05/24/sec-football-schedule-future

Be over the moon if they go with 1-7/7, but I would be happy with the 3-6/6 they proposed:

•    Alabama: Auburn; Tennessee; LSU
    •    Arkansas: Missouri; Texas; Kentucky
    •    Auburn: Alabama; Georgia; Vanderbilt
    •    Florida: Georgia; South Carolina; Oklahoma
    •    Georgia: Auburn; Florida; Kentucky
    •    Kentucky: Mississippi State; Arkansas; Georgia
    •    LSU: Ole Miss; Texas A&M; Alabama
    •    Ole Miss: Mississippi State; LSU; Vanderbilt
    •    Mississippi State: Ole Miss; Kentucky; Texas A&M
    •    Missouri: Oklahoma; Arkansas; South Carolina
    •    Oklahoma: Texas; Missouri; Florida
    •    South Carolina: Florida; Missouri; Tennessee
    •    Tennessee: Vanderbilt; Alabama; South Carolina
    •    Texas: Oklahoma; Texas A&M; Arkansas
    •    Texas A&M: LSU; Texas; Mississippi State
    •    Vanderbilt: Tennessee; Ole Miss; Auburn

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, GunsmithAU said:

They don't need viewership. If the SEC decides they want to leave, the acc, B12, b10, and pac will automatically jump on board. 

True if the others follow. I was actually replying thinking about the SEC only playoff OP.

• Like 1

an SEC playoff would be horrible - it would likely get us just one team into the NCAA playoff.   I'd be ok if we dropped the SEC CG to be honest - it just makes getting into the playoffs harder and the possibility of injury is real. 

I would rather see 4 SEC teams play for two automatic bids for the NCAA playoffs (assuming there are 6-8 slots).  It would be two games ( more $) vs just the SEC CG. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Beaker said:

an SEC playoff would be horrible - it would likely get us just one team into the NCAA playoff.   I'd be ok if we dropped the SEC CG to be honest - it just makes getting into the playoffs harder and the possibility of injury is real. 

I would rather see 4 SEC teams play for two automatic bids for the NCAA playoffs (assuming there are 6-8 slots).  It would be two games ( more $) vs just the SEC CG. 

The CFP isn't going to stay at 4 teams so we'd get two in no matter what.

Also, we'll probably get a semi solely bc it's more money for the conference. It's the only reason change happens 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beaker said:

I assumed the Headline meant an SEC only playoff. No SEC winner to ncaa playoff.

On 5/24/2022 at 11:10 AM, GunsmithAU said:

The SEC (Greg Sankey heads the NCAA Transition Committee), ACC, B12 ( commissioner co-heads the committee with Sankey), the PAC12 (just visited DC with Sankey to lobby Congress on NIL) and B10 ALL make up the governing body of the NCAA.  Those conference commissioners have been tasked with re-writing the NCAA rule book by August 1st, that's why the Transition Committee was formed months ago. 

So what do you mean that those 5 will leave the NCAA when everyone of them ARE the NCAA?  

On 5/24/2022 at 4:25 PM, AUwent said:

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2022/05/24/sec-football-schedule-future

Be over the moon if they go with 1-7/7, but I would be happy with the 3-6/6 they proposed:

•    Alabama: Auburn; Tennessee; LSU
    •    Arkansas: Missouri; Texas; Kentucky
    •    Auburn: Alabama; Georgia; Vanderbilt
    •    Florida: Georgia; South Carolina; Oklahoma
    •    Georgia: Auburn; Florida; Kentucky
    •    Kentucky: Mississippi State; Arkansas; Georgia
    •    LSU: Ole Miss; Texas A&M; Alabama
    •    Ole Miss: Mississippi State; LSU; Vanderbilt
    •    Mississippi State: Ole Miss; Kentucky; Texas A&M
    •    Missouri: Oklahoma; Arkansas; South Carolina
    •    Oklahoma: Texas; Missouri; Florida
    •    South Carolina: Florida; Missouri; Tennessee
    •    Tennessee: Vanderbilt; Alabama; South Carolina
    •    Texas: Oklahoma; Texas A&M; Arkansas
    •    Texas A&M: LSU; Texas; Mississippi State
    •    Vanderbilt: Tennessee; Ole Miss; Auburn

No divisions and no pods? 

13 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Alabama; Georgia; Vanderbilt

So we get the best 2 teams in the conference every year? Seems fair.

So the Princess Bride teaches - blogs | Stuff.co.nz

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

I don't care to see the IB or DSOR eliminated. :gofig:

• Like 1

On 5/25/2022 at 4:06 PM, Hank2020 said:

I assumed the Headline meant an SEC only playoff. No SEC winner to ncaa playoff.

That is what I was thinking too. The SEC would be a blood bath. There is no way there won’t be a time when multiple teams will deserve a spot. I will see that would be a major middle finger to the rest of college football if the SEC does such a thing lol.

6 hours ago, oracle79 said:

I would much rather do 1-7/7 but if everyone's beloved DSOR has to stay, I will be happy if we get the consolation prize of playing Vandy every year.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

With big 12 getting their new arrivals next year 2023, why not just settle with UT and OU early as well.  What a cluster is going to be for a 1 or 2 year 14 team.  The fact that it's only for 2 years is what clouds it up.  The surrounding aura with outgoing teams is going to be awkward the full year this year for the players of those teams and the fans.  I know it's contractual but I thought it was more to give the conference ample time for the replacements.  Now they have them coming in 2023. So let the others go in 2023 as well.  It doesn't matter regarding the new contract. Media knows that the 2 money cows are leaving.  Still not going to get anything better. 

That being said, I'm feeling more like 2024 than 2025, but needs to happen sooner.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

With big 12 getting their new arrivals next year 2023, why not just settle with UT and OU early as well.  What a cluster is going to be for a 1 or 2 year 14 team.  The fact that it's only for 2 years is what clouds it up.  The surrounding aura with outgoing teams is going to be awkward the full year this year for the players of those teams and the fans.  I know it's contractual but I thought it was more to give the conference ample time for the replacements.  Now they have them coming in 2023. So let the others go in 2023 as well.  It doesn't matter regarding the new contract. Media knows that the 2 money cows are leaving.  Still not going to get anything better. 

That being said, I'm feeling more like 2024 than 2025, but needs to happen sooner.  

I want them in ASAP. But I suspect they wait it out. 👎

Edited by AUwent

3 hours ago, AUBwins said:

The SEC would love that but the big 12 won’t allow it to happen unless those teams are willing to pay a substantial fee. If I was the big 12 I wouldn’t budge either 

• Like 2

If the league adopts the 3-6/6 (as I believe they will), I think a whoooole lot of planned OOC games will be cancelled. Since teams will alternate between 5 home conference games and 4 home conference games, it seems obvious to me that they're going to want OOC games at home on the 4 home conference games years. Now, we wisely set up all of our OOC games over the next decade to be away on odd, home on even, so for us it would be an easy fit. But for many SEC teams, it isn't so clear cut.

Can someone rationally explain to me why some Auburn fans want bama and thuga in our permanent rotation?  I contend I we should just want a balanced difficulty of schedule for every team (as much as possible). 

Historically, I read recently bama and thuga have had the most success on the field in the past 20 yrs (it was some period of time that was 'current').

I started going to Auburn games in '84 as a student and  yeah, the rivalry with thuga has been electric, but we would still play them every other year I think or similar.  The history would not be erased. 

I find it much more important to be playing for championships which we have a better chance by only playing one of the 600# gorillas, every year vs "well it's always been that way".    I liken it to a parent saying, "because I said so."    

If you just want tradition, drop the IB and let's play DSOR.   The relationship with bama was toxic in the 30's and 40's and it's been pretty toxic since they poisoned our trees and spray painted on a building downtown. Playing them every other year is ok also. 

Please tell me which year that we had one of the hardest schedules in America (top 3 only) and won the SEC.  

For all you, tradition seekers....

• "Pat Sullivan ain't walking through that door."
  • "Bo Jackson ain't walking through that door."
  • "Cam Newton ain't walking through that door."
  • "Rowdy Gaines ain't walking through that door...."

Oh, and I think I read our conference just added a couple more programs steeped in tradition with a pretty salty recruiting classes every yr to add the difficulty factor.   Just make it even, we don't have to have the hardest schedule in the SEC to be Auburn.   Having the most difficult schedule in the SEC is not a badge of honor we must wear.  

Thuga fans are not going, "dang, we won the natty, but I wish we had played in the SEC - W to really have full bragging rights. "

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, Beaker said:

Can someone rationally explain to me why some Auburn fans want bama and thuga in our permanent rotation?  I contend I we should just want a balanced difficulty of schedule for every team (as much as possible). 

Historically, I read recently bama and thuga have had the most success on the field in the past 20 yrs (it was some period of time that was 'current').

I started going to Auburn games in '84 as a student and  yeah, the rivalry with thuga has been electric, but we would still play them every other year I think or similar.  The history would not be erased. 

I find it much more important to be playing for championships which we have a better chance by only playing one of the 600# gorillas, every year vs "well it's always been that way".    I liken it to a parent saying, "because I said so."    

If you just want tradition, drop the IB and let's play DSOR.   The relationship with bama was toxic in the 30's and 40's and it's been pretty toxic since they poisoned our trees and spray painted on a building downtown. Playing them every other year is ok also. 

Please tell me which year that we had one of the hardest schedules in America (top 3 only) and won the SEC.  

For all you, tradition seekers....

• "Pat Sullivan ain't walking through that door."
  • "Bo Jackson ain't walking through that door."
  • "Cam Newton ain't walking through that door."
  • "Rowdy Gaines ain't walking through that door...."

Oh, and I think I read our conference just added a couple more programs steeped in tradition with a pretty salty recruiting classes every yr to add the difficulty factor.   Just make it even, we don't have to have the hardest schedule in the SEC to be Auburn.   Having the most difficult schedule in the SEC is not a badge of honor we must wear.  

Thuga fans are not going, "dang, we won the natty, but I wish we had played in the SEC - W to really have full bragging rights. "

image.gif

I fully expect we'll get three permanents. That said, as long as Vandy is our third permanent I'll take it.

While us and Florida would get the toughest draws from a 1+7 setup, that would be as balanced for every team as you could get.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 2