Brandon Strikes Again

I_M4_AU

Two proxy wars and the Sec of Defense was hospitalized for four days and Biden didn’t know.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, homersapien said:

How much was tuition when you borrowed that money?  How much did you borrow?

It's all relative. A dollar owed back then was bigger than a dollar owed now. As you failed to note in my previous post, I limited my borrowing because I understood what the term "loan" meant.

22 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

They started chanting 4 more years in order to drowned out some idiot that started yelling about Gaza.  Apples. let me introduce you to Oranges.

1 minute ago, AU9377 said:

They started chanting 4 more years in order to drowned out some idiot that started yelling about Gaza.  Apples. let me introduce you to Oranges.

Sounds like something a cult would do, doesn’t it?

On 1/8/2024 at 4:32 PM, Mikey said:

It's all relative. A dollar owed back then was bigger than a dollar owed now. As you failed to note in my previous post, I limited my borrowing because I understood what the term "loan" meant.

BS.  College tuition was relatively cheap then, like $600 /qtr as I recall. 

I never borrowed money for college, didn't need to. I worked for it.  My wife did borrow $10K but paid like 3% and had no trouble paying it off. She worked too.

17 minutes ago, homersapien said:

BS.  College tuition was relatively cheap then, like $600 /qtr as I recall. 

I never borrowed money for college, didn't need to. I worked for it.  My wife did borrow $10K but paid like 3% and had no trouble paying it off. She worked too.

BS. Starting wages for a new college graduate were also somewhere around $8,000 a year. As I said, it's all relative.

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

BS. Starting wages for a new college graduate were also somewhere around $8,000 a year. As I said, it's all relative.

Well, you must be a lot older than 73.

1969 tuition - $600 

My starting salary in 1975 was $13k. (albeit with a MS degree.)

https://www.bankrate.com/loans/student-loans/college-tuition-inflation/

From 1981-82 to 2021-22, the cost of attending a four-year college in the U.S. has ballooned from $11,840 a year to $30,031 a year — representing a 153 percent increase in the last 40 years. That cost includes tuition and fees, plus room and board, adjusted for inflation.

Edited by homersapien

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Several years later and an advanced degree. Apples to oranges.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2024 at 2:52 PM, Mikey said:

Several years later and an advanced degree. Apples to oranges.

This is the point..... If these loans are to be treated like any other loan,  they should be included in bankruptcy filings.  We don't have debtor prisons and won't have them.  If they are preventing a large number of people from getting a fresh start, then the loans are harmful to the community at large. 

There are professionals that, for whatever the reason may have been, ended up defaulting on their loans.  Once they were in default, they were then prevented from using their education due to their licenses being suspended based on the default.

At that point, we are preventing the person that is in default from correcting the situation.  How is that good for anyone?  We need to use some common sense in dealing with the problem.

On 1/10/2024 at 2:48 PM, homersapien said:

Well, you must be a lot older than 73.

1969 tuition - $600 

https://www.bankrate.com/loans/student-loans/college-tuition-inflation/

From 1981-82 to 2021-22, the cost of attending a four-year college in the U.S. has ballooned from $11,840 a year to $30,031 a year — representing a 153 percent increase in the last 40 years. That cost includes tuition and fees, plus room and board, adjusted for inflation.

By my math that's around a 3% increase per year using the rule of 72, which matches the historical (or at least I'm told) inflation rate.

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

We need to use some common sense in dealing with the problem.

The people who took out excessive loans should have used common sense and quit borrowing so much.

12 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The people who took out excessive loans should have used common sense and quit borrowing so much.

So the answer is to do what?  I don't disagree with your statement, but it is easier to say that when not in their shoes.  Regardless of who should have done what, the situation remains that the loans are federally guaranteed and in default.  Being in default isn't and will never be a criminal offense.  Therefore, something will need to take place in order to make repayment something that they can accomplish while being contributing citizens.   Settlements forgiving penalties and interest is an option for some, thereby allowing the federal govt to recoup a portion of the default. I'm sure there are other programs as well, but we can't really just pretend that it will fix itself.

1 hour ago, creed said:

By my math that's around a 3% increase per year using the rule of 72, which matches the historical (or at least I'm told) inflation rate.

Public and private colleges and universities have taken advantage of the loan programs.  They are every bit as at fault as the students they sign up for the program.  Loans have provided an unlimited stream of cash.  Auburn has taken advantage as much as any other.

33B9E7FD-F8FE-424C-927E-047C1706B809.jpeg

Edited by AU9377
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Who would have thought, shocking:

I’m sure Joe will respond at a point and time of his choosing, I just hope he actually does.

15 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Curious. What does “weak” mean? Biden seems physically frail but he has at least confronted major powers militarily.  I thought maga was all about isolationism and no more foreign wars.  It’s kinda hard to be tough on the world stage, no matter how much “or else” bravado someone rants about, if the other side knows you have no stomach for a consequence and you’ve promised your base no boots on the ground.

Just sanctions and a few cruise missiles. Good luck backing off the bully with that.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

Curious. What does “weak” mean? Biden seems physically frail but he has at least confronted major powers militarily.  I thought maga was all about isolationism and no more foreign wars.  It’s kinda hard to be tough on the world stage, no matter how much “or else” bravado someone rants about, if the other side knows you have no stomach for a consequence and you’ve promised your base no boots on the ground.

Just sanctions and a few cruise missiles. Good luck backing off the bully with that.

When has he confronted major military powers?  Before the Ukraine war Biden allowed Nord Stream 2 pipeline to be completed.  That allowed Russia to keep cash flow going.  He also sat back and did not deter Putin before the invasion.  A strong President would have confronted him BEFORE the invasion.  He was so afraid of Putin starting a nuclear war he metered assistance to Ukraine and prolonged this unwinable war.

Biden withdrew (surrendered) from Afghanistan, leaving $billions of weapons behind and 13 service personnel were killed.  This administration retaliated by killing 10 civilians days later.

Biden appeased Iran by allowing access to $6 billion and lifting oil sanctions.  He sides with Israel until he starts getting bush back from Hamas protesters and then straddles the fence and doen’t take a firm stance. He allows Pro Hamas protesters to damage and threaten the White House and police.

He has allowed the Houthis to alter shipping routes without much retaliation.

And now 3 more service men have died and many more wounded.

Only the left would define MAGA as such.  We live in this world and, up until recently, America was the leader of the free world.  With the weak leadership we have now that is in question.

Biden has promised *no boots on the ground* (see Ukraine war) and you are right, the other side knows this and is taking advantage. It’s an election year and Iran knows that too. Biden is hoping Iran will heed his *don’t do it* stance from now on.  They won’t

It will be interesting to see what Biden does in Texas about Abbott.  Will he confront his own citizens with force while appeasing Iran or will he turn into the paper tiger his is?  He is wrong about the border and his foreign policy sucks.

Edited by I_M4_AU
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Curious. What does “weak” mean?

Tom Cotton explains it well.

31 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

When has he confronted major military powers?  Before the Ukraine war Biden allowed Nord Stream 2 pipeline to be completed.  That allowed Russia to keep cash flow going.  He also sat back and did not deter Putin before the invasion.  A strong President would have confronted him BEFORE the invasion.  He was so afraid of Putin starting a nuclear war he metered assistance to Ukraine and prolonged this unwinable war.

Biden withdrew (surrendered) from Afghanistan, leaving $billions of weapons behind and 13 service personnel were killed.  This administration retaliated by killing 10 civilians days later.

Biden appeased Iran by allowing access to $6 billion and lifting oil sanctions.  He sides with Israel until he starts getting bush back from Hamas protesters and then straddles the fence and doen’t take a firm stance. He allows Pro Hamas protesters to damage and threaten the White House and police.

He has allowed the Houthis to alter shipping routes without much retaliation.

And now 3 more service men have died and many more wounded.

Only the left would define MAGA as such.  We live in this world and, up until recently, America was the leader of the free world.  With the weak leadership we have now that is in question.

Biden has promised *no boots on the ground* (see Ukraine war) and you are right, the other side knows this and is taking advantage. It’s an election year and Iran knows that too. Biden is hoping Iran will heed his *don’t do it* stance from now on.  They won’t

It will be interesting to see what Biden does in Texas about Abbott.  Will he confront his own citizens with force while appeasing Iran or will he turn into the paper tiger his is?  He is wrong about the border and he his foreign policy sucks.

I not talking about the wonders of Biden. This is about maga and trump.  This isn’t the apprentice, peddling steaks, or a hotel deal - how would he have stopped Ukraine? He’s supposedly an isolationist right? Trump talks about shooting shoplifters so he’s a tough guy? Dear lord he’s simply a talker. That’s all he is. In reality imo he would acquiesced it to Putin and explained it as a good thing. Trump isn’t a Republican.  Reagan would have laugh his a$$ off if he faced off against him. 

Im not challenging Biden has shown weakness (ie Afghanistan was total incompetence) im just saying youre confusing a used car salesman with Eisenhower. 

Ps Nord 2 was a solely German initiative  - who trump had completely alienated. How would he have “stopped it” exactly?  Your comment is straight out of trumps cpac speech and was spun by the alt right media - was totally debunked. Classic Trump.

Edited by auburnatl1

1 minute ago, auburnatl1 said:

This is about maga and trump.

You have lost your mind.  Trump has NOTHING to do with these 3 service men dying at the hands of Iran.

Ted Cruz had a resolution to halt the Nord Stream 2 just after Biden was elected and it failed and Biden, in May of 2021 allows it to be completed.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/us-waive-sanctions-firm-ceo-behind-russias-nord-stream-2-pipeline-source-2021-05-19/

Then 7 months later:

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/595518-biden-imposes-nord-stream-2-sanctions/

Somehow he couldn’t look down the road a half a year to determine how important that Nord Stream 2 pipeline was to Russia or because Republicans were against letting it be completed he was for it, your choice.

And now, because of the existential threat of climate change we have frozen exportation of LNG to save the planet.  Who does that hurt and who does that benefit?  I will remind you they froze it to study the harm it MAY be doing.

WASHINGTON, Jan 26 (Reuters) - U.S. President Joe Biden on Friday paused approvals for pending and future applications to export liquefied natural gas (LNG)from new projects, a move cheered by climate activists that could delay decisions on new plants until after the Nov. 5 election.

The Department of Energy (DOE) will conduct a review during the pause that will look at the economic and environmental impacts of projects seeking approval to export LNG to Europe and Asia where the fuel is in hot demand.

The review will take months and then will be open to public comment which will take more time, Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm told reporters in a teleconference.

Biden said in a statement: "During this period, we will take a hard look at the impacts of LNG exports on energy costs, America's energy security, and our environment."

The pause "sees the climate crisis for what it is: the existential threat of our time," said Biden, a Democrat.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/biden-pauses-approval-new-lng-export-projects-win-climate-activists-2024-01-26/

In the dead of winter when European demand is at its highest Biden cuts the supply so Russia can benefit.  The man need to go and it has NOTHING to do with Trump.