Departures and Additions 2021-22 Postseason

Zeek

43 minutes ago, McFU said:

I think this is where Harsin could use some tact instead of being a hard nosed when it comes to certain types of personalities.  However the stuff about not being late to meetings and following the rules I hope he stays stubborn on because those are more life skills than football skills.

It is a balancing act Garner is a hard nosed coach who has put many players into the NFL but remember a while back we had a highly rated player who did not thrive under Garner but went to Maryland and a different type of coach and then made it in NFL.  The problem is if you are a hard nosed coach you have to be that way with everyone or they think it is favoritism. Now as Cole mentioned about Garner there was an off the field side where he checked on players for some he was a father figure and mentor but even with that he could not reach that player.   

One thing that people have to look at it is the position coach who does most of the interacting with the players where head coach is more hands off.  I do remember Harsin taking parts in some of the coaching and running with the players.  Assuming some of what we have heard about Harsin in last couple weeks he does need to work on talking to the players as people and not just as a coach.  Little things like how are you doing, any issues with school, how is your family. 

Hopefully he will realize this and that will make him a better coach long term.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

we had a highly rated player who did not thrive under Garner but went to Maryland

Great article here on Byron Cowart. The best thing about this to me is seeing a person do some self-scouting, make some changes, and succeed. So many woulda coulda stories about people who should have achieved greatness but self-sabotaged their way to anonymity and worse. Love that Cowart made sure he wasn't one of them.

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2019/03/former-no-1-recruit-opens-up-about-what-went-wrong-at-auburn.html

I just want to point out that Gus probably was/is more of a friend/fatherly figure than almost every head coach in Division 1.  This was a huge change for the guys.  And Harsin is not as horrible as he has been made out to be either.  Just compared to Gus……he is quite a bit different.  Gus and Kristi were kinda one of a kinds when it came to how a bunch of things were done and that is why we all liked them as people so much.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I just want to point out that Gus probably was/is more of a friend/fatherly figure than almost every head coach in Division 1.  This was a huge change for the guys.  And Harsin is not as horrible as he has been made out to be either.  Just compared to Gus……he is quite a bit different.  Gus and Kristi were kinda one of a kinds when it came to how a bunch of things were done and that is why we all liked them as people so much.

It’s two extreme differences . Kobe Hudson preferred the Gus type Mentorship. Others on our team prefer CBH type. The perfect balance is clearly a saban like personality. I don’t think either one should be getting crapped on though. People have loss their collective minds lately. 

• Like 5

Colby Wooden is returning. That’s good. I don’t think he entered the portal but strongly considered it. Also saw some cryptic tweet that J.J. is also not leaving. Can anyone confirm.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wcware said:

Colby Wooden is returning. That’s good. I don’t think he entered the portal but strongly considered it. Also saw some cryptic tweet that J.J. is also not leaving. Can anyone confirm.

Hoke thinks it's a good possibility he's back. Also Marquis Robinson could be as well, but that one seems less certain. Some Mizzou fan said on the rant last night that he's ghosted the Mizzou staff

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, au302 said:

Hoke thinks it's a good possibility he's back. Also Marquis Robinson could be as well, but that one seems less certain. Some Mizzou fan said on the rant last night that he's ghosted the Mizzou staff

Feels like maybe we're starting to show these guys some humility, some money, or both. Regardless, I'm happy for the winds to blow in literally any other direction than they have been. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Feels like maybe we're starting to show these guys some humility, some money, or both. Regardless, I'm happy for the winds to blow in literally any other direction than they have been. 

Hopefully both, but hopefully money. They can learn humility while a part of the program. We need players. 

4 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Hopefully both, but hopefully money. They can learn humility while a part of the program. We need players. 

Oh, I'm not talking about humility on the players' parts. 

Come Back To Me GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

4 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I'm assuming you're on mobile. The only way I've figured out is to actually download them and then add to the post as a file. 

That said, since it's you, I actually clicked on the link. I'm willing to do that horribly annoying and tedious task for my buddy the Barn. And, I gotta say, it paid off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, I'm not talking about humility on the players' parts. 

Come Back To Me GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

We need to help out with those NIL deals as well.

the-office-michael-scott.gif.f778f9b7df31cb2ffc169122d91538cf.gif

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Eh. I don’t see them as that unique. Good people but players’ coaches are not a new concept. Richt was famous (and infamous) for it. Guys like Harbaugh, Kiffin, Jimbo, etc. are all guys who aren’t going to crawl players. They let the players mostly do what they want as Gus did.

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Don't know the truth to it, but I've seen people mention that NIL Auburn was pretty crucial in getting him to stay.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Don't know the truth to it, but I've seen people mention that NIL Auburn was pretty crucial in getting him to stay.

Either we're capitalists or we're not. Glad Auburn is doing some things to stay competitive.

I thought I remembered someone saying Harsin didn't take back the guys that enter portal? Was that just speculation or has Harsin changed his approach on that?

If it's the latter I'll take it as a good sign..

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

So glad Colby is staying.  I would hate to be a coach these days because I am sure I would fail.  We are quick to blame the head coach but we are expecting these kids to make good decisions when they have the ability to change their circumstance at the drop of the hat.  News Flash:  18-23 year males are not always rational and if they have others whispering in their ear or are told no you aren't trying hard enough they can make foolish decisions based on emotion because the transfer portal is so convenient. I also think that NIL can cause jealousy among the players and could cause some that aren't playing enough or seen enough to seek greener pastures(literally).   Some are just not going to fit in with the philosophy or with the personalities of the coaches, it happens with every team.  I blame video games on everything!😀

1 hour ago, aublue88 said:

I also think that NIL can cause jealousy among the players.

It's possible I'm the only one, but I've never considered this before. There are going to be so many facets to the NIL, it is going to be very interesting to see how it all plays out in real time.

• Like 1

The passive aggressiveness on this site by so many ppl is something I've never seen on any corners of the internet 

16 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

The passive aggressiveness on this site by so many ppl is something I've never seen on any corners of the internet 

It's absolutely hilarious

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I have guys writing me in my PM's.......dude is probably 57 doing this 😂😂

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Just following your lead

Name an instance where these type issues pop up when a program is winning. Didn't hear much about all this we AU was 6-2 and ranked 13th🤷‍♂️

Edited by NWALA Tiger