Transfer Portal Targets/Commits (2022)

AUght2win

11 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Three SEC caliber edge guys for a two-starter position.

How many SEC caliber receivers and O-linemen do we have? Both those positions will need more depth than the Edge.

Wooden is usually on the field at same time as our two edge guys so is not really a backup to them. Brooks is only legitimate backup. We are hoping in his second year he takes off but you need more players on the edge. Yes we need O-line and safety but after picking up a WR we still have six scholarships.  So one for an edge still leaves us 5 it is not like we are going to pull in 4 Portal O-line. with luck we will get 1 maybe 2 but I wouldn't bank on any Portal O-line this cycle. 

Getting a legitimate Edge Rusher would be huge especially 4th quarter when we would like our best players to still have some gas left in the tank.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Getting a legitimate Edge Rusher would be huge especially 4th quarter when we would like our best players to still have some gas left in the tank.

Somebody literally asked yesterday or the day before why we were getting pressure on the QB early against PSU and MSU but not later in the game.

Locks

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Three SEC caliber edge guys for a two-starter position.

Who are the 3 SEC caliber players at that position?

Colby Wooden is 285 pounds - he is NOT an "Edge" player (maybe in an absolute emergency). He is closer to playing DT than he is to playing the Edge position.

1 hour ago, metafour said:

Who are the 3 SEC caliber players at that position?

Colby Wooden is 285 pounds - he is NOT an "Edge" player (maybe in an absolute emergency). He is closer to playing DT than he is to playing the Edge position.

Wooden is SEC caliber anywhere on the line. And it’s clear Brooks is already an SEC caliber athlete. So we are really 4 deep there.

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

We're recruiting a pool of like 20 kids right now.  That's it.  We can focus on positions outside one or two spots.

Yes.  OL is our #1 priority.  There are like 3 or 4 total guys that fit our needs.  Should we do nothing else besides talk to them?  After OL there are 3-4 WRs that fit our needs.

So 8 guys are our priority.  We have 8 slots and needs at DE/DT/S after OL/WR.  We can recruit more than one spot.  Your complaining really makes little sense.  It's not like we are prioritizing DE.  Our staff has plenty of bandwidth to recruit 20-30 kids for 8 spots.

Can we actually, though? How many times did we completely strike out this past spring? Maybe we should narrow down our targets to a handful and put the full weight of the staff on them. 

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

We took a WR from Miami last night.

It's wild.  How in the hell were we able to get a commit at WR (1 of our 8 slots needed to fill), when we also offered a DE from Florida.

CRAZY

Idk if you saw but the UM guy has never registered a catch. Not a bad pull but definitely doesn’t solve the WR problem. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Wooden is usually on the field at same time as our two edge guys so is not really a backup to them. Brooks is only legitimate backup. We are hoping in his second year he takes off but you need more players on the edge. Yes we need O-line and safety but after picking up a WR we still have six scholarships.  So one for an edge still leaves us 5 it is not like we are going to pull in 4 Portal O-line. with luck we will get 1 maybe 2 but I wouldn't bank on any Portal O-line this cycle. 

We need starting receivers and starting OL. While DL depth helps, starting positions take precedence. 

But even if we don’t pull anymore DL, I have confidence that with Jaylon Jones, Marcus Harris, Leota, Hall, Wooden, Brooks, M’Ba, and Zykevious we will mix and match to always have studs on the field along the line.

26 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Can we actually, though? How many times did we completely strike out this past spring? Maybe we should narrow down our targets to a handful and put the full weight of the staff on them. 

I kind of see your point, but if this staff can't recruit more than a couple position groups at a time, they may as well pack it up now. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Idk if you saw but the UM guy has never registered a catch. Not a bad pull but definitely doesn’t solve the WR problem. 

He seemed to have a decent spring.  He essentially got hurt and his first two years was almost all rehab.  Seems like he's dependent on how well he progresses from his hip injury.

He's not the only WR we're planning on taking.

25 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Yes we can.  Cmon man.  Just b/c we strike out on a guy doesn't mean we were spread too thin.  You can only talk to a guy so much.

9 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

He seemed to have a decent spring.  He essentially got hurt and his first two years was almost all rehab.  Seems like he's dependent on how well he progresses from his hip injury.

He's not the only WR we're planning on taking.

Yes we can.  Cmon man.  Just b/c we strike out on a guy doesn't mean we were spread too thin.  You can only talk to a guy so much.

Maybe you’re right. Idk how the inner workings of recruiting portal guys works. But as you said earlier all we seem to get is homesick Alabama kids. We may need to change some tactics.

10 minutes ago, cbo said:

I kind of see your point, but if this staff can't recruit more than a couple position groups at a time, they may as well pack it up now. 

Funny thing is they did pretty well last year in the portal. But things have been a disaster offensively since we somehow let the ULL wideout slip away.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Maybe you’re right. Idk how the inner workings of recruiting portal guys works. But as you said earlier all we seem to get is homesick Alabama kids. We may need to change some tactics.

I 100% agree with your that our portal recruiting is pretty disappointing in certain areas.  We've missed on countless OL in multiple portal windows.  I think we've done pretty well at DT with Harris and Jones.  DB has been hit or miss but some good ones.  OL has been a disaster.  QB probably OK or above average depending on this season.  DRob was OKish last year, but we've missed consistently this year until now.  I'd imagine we'll add one more

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Wooden is SEC caliber anywhere on the line. And it’s clear Brooks is already an SEC caliber athlete. So we are really 4 deep there.

That doesn't answer the question at all. The Edge position is more of a rushing LB, it's not a line player. Wooden is not an Edge player. Brooks has never played in a single game yet, so again, you have literally two Seniors and nothing proven behind them, and they can't both play every snap (not even taking into account if there is an injury). Using Brooks as an example is no different from me saying that we don't need WR because "Tar'Varish Dawson is already an SEC caliber athlete".

I still don't understand your premise at all. There are how many on-field coaches + off-field recruiting staff members employed by Auburn? The idea that recruiting an Edge transfer (which you still haven't explained as to how it's not an obvious need) is going to prevent them from recruiting a WR or other position makes no sense. It's not like they take the entire staff and put them on one kid to recruit. Jimmy Brumbaugh probably isn't helping with WR recruiting.

If you want to know why Edge is a need: last season we had Hall, Leota, TD Moultry, and Romello Height all playing snaps. The first three played major snaps, and Height would have played even more snaps had he not been suspended midway through the year.

This year we have those first two guys back, and basically nobody who has played any snaps behind them. It is a very obvious need. Stating that 285 pound Colby Wooden can play Edge is not an actual answer.

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

After yesterday, we are now down to six slots remaining in the class of '22. One of those slots is a "use it or lose it" transfer slot. The other five may be used for transfers, normal recruits or held over for class of '23 early enrollees. That's how I have it under the NCAA's rules that existed last time I checked.

If this happens, would make more sense why we ran off as many as we did. Staff may have had an inkling of this before the public 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

:bow:

The inner workings of the portal puts the full weight of NIL on them.  Auburn should be doing the same while there's no regulations in place, ante up big time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, au302 said:

If this happens, would make more sense why we ran off as many as we did. Staff may have had an inkling of this before the public 

So run 'em all off while banking on the ncaa to vote to extend the scholly limits?  Brilliant move by CBH & Co., all that tittle tattle in February was a farce now that we know he was playing 3D chess. 

:drippingsarcasm7pa:

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

So run 'em all off while banking on the ncaa to vote to extend the scholly limits?  Brilliant move by CBH & Co., all that tittle tattle in February was a farce now that we know he was playing 3D chess. 

:drippingsarcasm7pa:

Lol, fair enough man

Yeah removing the 25 man limit wasn't anything ppl were banking on

• Like 1

8 hours ago, au302 said:

Even if it happens I am not sure how much it will help us. We are having trouble finding the 6 players we have without the change this year.  Now if it includes 2023 class it could be big for Auburn to allow us to get back to 85.

9 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Even if it happens I am not sure how much it will help us. We are having trouble finding the 6 players we have without the change this year.  Now if it includes 2023 class it could be big for Auburn to allow us to get back to 85.

Yep. We can't even get to 25/32 anyway. More slots won't help Auburn a bit.

21 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Yep. We can't even get to 25/32 anyway. More slots won't help Auburn a bit.

There's still time to fill in the 25/32 and 2 were added just his week, so hopefully more to come onboard.  

The additional slots will help if Auburn has a decent season and shows improvement.  Fingers crossed. 

10 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

My guess is Harsin is going to put just as much weight on the player's attitude, work ethic, and fit within the team as he is on how good a football player they are. That's going to reduce the field for potential transfers and recruits. I'm fine with that. We'll have to see how it translates to wins/losses on the field.

10 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Another WR down.

According to the On3 guys, seems like academics was the issue. Credit transfers and degree paths are the fickle mistress behind the Transfer Portal...

• Like 1