Harsin Drama Megathread

TitanTiger

For those of you on this… how did Saban and Alabama do it? Saban’s contract, Saban’s relationships with boosters etc. etc. etc. How do they do it: They freaking cheat!

You can't sign the #1 recruiting class every year for a decade and not be breaking the rules. Yes, success begets success and kids want to play for a winner, but it defies logic how a coach who went 6-6, 6-5, 7-5, 6-6, 9-2, 8-4, 10-3, 8-5, 13-1, 9-3, and then bombed in the NFL showed up at a school with a long history of NCAA infraction cases who wasn't relevant for a decade and turned them into the greatest powerhouse in the history of CFB overnight.

Was he winning recruiting national championships at Michigan State? Was he winning recruiting national championships at LSU? How do they do it? They freaking cheat!

Edited by AU-24
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

37 minutes ago, au302 said:

There's a very big difference between explicit racism and not understanding your players backgrounds. Harsin is not the only coach to struggle with that. It's something that needs to be improved, if true, but they better have a smoking gun

This is an important conversation. We use the word racism in a lot of ways, and depending on how we use it, it may fit or it may not. Here's what I want to know: did coaches (esp. Mason) leave for reasons adjacent to why players are leaving? If the answer has anything to do with Harsin failing to connect with Black players, then we have two choices: (a) help Harsin do better or (b) part ways.

I realize quite a few of the voices supporting Harsin are Black players. These conversations are really messy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

For those of you on this… how did Saban and Alabama do it? Saban’s contract, Saban’s relationships with boosters etc. etc. etc. How do they do it: They freaking cheat!

You can't sign the #1 recruiting class every year for a decade and not be breaking the rules. Yes, success begets success and kids want to play for a winner, but it defies logic how a coach who went 6-6, 6-5, 7-5, 6-6, 9-2, 8-4, 10-3, 8-5, 13-1, 9-3, and then bombed in the NFL showed up at a school with a long history of NCAA infraction cases who wasn't relevant for a decade and turned them into the greatest powerhouse in the history of CFB overnight.

Was he winning recruiting national championships at Michigan State? Was he winning recruiting national championships at LSU? How do they do it? They freaking cheat!

Au 24... He didn't have the REC at those other schools

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Didba said:

Not seeing legal people doing interviews just high level admin in the article, did I miss it

From the story: "People affiliated with the legal affairs of Auburn have been reaching out for answers as to why there's been a staff exodus and why there have been so many issues within the program, a source told ESPN."

“A source also said Harsin hated the concept of name, image and likeness and made that clear to players. Harsin was particularly critical of players from low-income families who received money from NIL deals because he thought they lost their focus on football, one source added.” -

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/auburn/2022/02/04/bryan-harsin-auburn-football-toxic-dysfunctional-program/6664062001/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Angry 1

1 minute ago, DyeCampAlum said:

From the story: "People affiliated with the legal affairs of Auburn have been reaching out for answers as to why there's been a staff exodus and why there have been so many issues within the program, a source told ESPN."

Okay, that is what I read. That statement didn't seem to imply that to me.  Thanks.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

BINGO!

REC is as real as there being microchips in the COVID vaccines...

Edit: or maybe there is more to it then I realized...

Edited by Didba
got called out
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

“A source also said Harsin hated the concept of name, image and likeness and made that clear to players. Harsin was particularly critical of players from low-income families who received money from NIL deals because he thought they lost their focus on football, one source added.” -

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/auburn/2022/02/04/bryan-harsin-auburn-football-toxic-dysfunctional-program/6664062001/

I wonder who the source is. 

I'm not in a position to know what is fact or rumor at this point in time. But I will say that IF Harsin who has a beautiful wife is dumb enough to have an affair someone should call Petrino and take him for a motorcycle ride.

Allot of players from low-income families who received money from NIL deals, are very publicly supporting Harsin.

• Like 1

Just now, Auburn Tiger said:

I wonder who the source is. 

Not sure. A few more quotes from unnamed players in the program. 

If I'm not mistaken, I think I heard something about this a couple of weeks ago on a podcast. I think it was mentioned that Mason tried to talk to him about his stance on NIL

Just now, AU-24 said:

Allot of players from low-income families who received money from NIL deals, are very publicly supporting Harsin.

You know the income levels of ppl giving him support?

Let me throw in kind of an outside comment. I'm new to the board (posted briefly a couple years ago), but I'm not new to the forum or to AU. I lived in Alabama for 20 years and have been a fan for 30. I'm passionate about Auburn and hate the Tide  with equal passion.

A couple possible observations with no inside information.

1) Maybe Harsin is an anachronism, an old school guy used to coaching kids who herded cattle or shot elk in the off season. He doesn't get social media and urban culture. Bad fit for an SEC school with the bright lights and bling. Or maybe he's a joker

2) The Justin Lee article someone called "brutal" was pathetic. Just a media monkey flinging poo for the TPTB. Hope he gets an invite to the suites, the little pressitute.

3) Sounds to me like there's some guys like being challenged to man up and some other guys who like be friended on Facebook and remembering being the big dog in high school. Reminds me of a story. Kid struck out 9out of 10 guys in amateur baseball. Went to the pros, couldn't get anybody out. Coach told him "You remember that 10th guy, they're all here" That's how life is, you got to earn respect.

Just my opinion.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Didba said:

REC is as real as there being microchips in the COVID vaccines.

Couldn't be more wrong

• Like 6

Why would he not leverage the NIL rule instead of buck it? It would have done some of his job for him. 🤦

Edited by Auburn Tiger
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Didba said:

REC is as real as there being microchips in the COVID vaccines.

I don’t know how to take this….

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

You know the income levels of ppl giving him support?

Yes, just like you know the income levels of players not giving him support. Look at where they were recruited from etc.

If your argument is: if the kid is wealthy he doesn’t mind the deal, but if the kid is poor he doesn’t want them to have an NIL deal. That of course is beyond ridiculous!!

Edited by AU-24
  • Like 1

So if racism doesn’t stick, what will they go to next! Y’all got to be kidding me. Don’t fall for this. Harsin was hired and given a contract. I know some on here have been against him from the beginning, but how about just getting behind our coach and giving him the tools and support he needs! Just a thought!

Edited by provibe
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Couldn't be more wrong

Really? I mean I know it exists but does it really do everything that people claim? Some of the stuff that is said make it out to almost be a baba yaga... booogeyman

9 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

If that’s true, and if it’s part of a pattern, I could see it described as racism. Yikes.

1 minute ago, AU-24 said:

Yes, just like you know the income levels of players not giving him support. Look at where they were recruited from etc.

I'm not making the statement as pure fact like you are.