Mikey defends Gus' OL recruiting...

bigbird

39 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

So great job supporting the winners.  How original. “Fair weather fan” comes to mind. Have a great weekend Mr. Mikey. Sorry I poked the “bear”.

Oh dude, fair weather fan is the perfect descriptor 

@Mikey, any more thoughts on the quality and quantity that Gus left on the OL? Harsin is gonna get run out of town because he didn’t devote every resource to replacing Gus’ guys. But they were never good enough.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 9/16/2022 at 9:23 AM, Mikey said:

If they are on scholarship on an SEC roster, they are by definition SEC-quality players. I obliged you by using your parameters. Now you don't like the results. Oh well.......

If you watched that PSU game… I’ll rest my case about whether they are SEC caliber. Imagine the guys that can’t beat out our starters. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

If you watched that PSU game… I’ll rest my case about whether they are SEC caliber. Imagine the guys that can’t beat out our starters. 

Which goes back to the original argument that if we don't have players that can unseat really bad players, then we don't have depth, no matter the numbers.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Let’s face it, Gus was terrible at recruiting this position and Harsin is no better. Both are awful. 
And now we are in a world of hurt with nobody in the current class. 

Edited by gr82b4au
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

now we are in a world of hurt

We've been there for 5 years. Nothing has changed and that's the problem.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

@Mikey, any more thoughts on the quality and quantity that Gus left on the OL? Harsin is gonna get run out of town because he didn’t devote every resource to replacing Gus’ guys. But they were never good enough.

Any thoughts about why, if the O-line is anything like as bad as has been portrayed here, Harsin has made little if any effort to acquire replacements? Thoughts about why they are worse than they were last year?

Any thought about why Harsin, who in some quarters is said to be a great developer, didn't "develop" the bunch of 3 and 4* O-line recruits Gus left to him?

It wasn't just the O-line either. The backs missed more blocks than they made. Harsin's QB's were awful. Then there's that defense..... The only group that looks improved is the WR guys and I think the only reason for that is Ike Hillyard.

Bottom line, PSU is better than they were last year. Auburn is worse. How is that Gus's fault? For how many more years are you haters going to keep trying to blame Harsin's failures on Gus?

I already said he's going to get fired for failing to replace these guys. He'll lose his job for it, and he'll deserve it.

But that doesn't change what the quality or quantity Malzahn failed to recruit, and it was mostly the offensive line. We threw 38 passes. Penn State was credited with 36 (!!!!!!) QB hurries. That would be unbelievable, except that it absolutely matched the eye test of what we saw. 

Go check the film on the 3rd down play where Finley threw it to Shed instead of Moore or Hunter (who were coming open for a TD). Nose Tackle was left unblocked. TJ just threw it where he could to avoid a sack. Or check the film on the sack on Ashford when we were inside the 10. Unblocked blitzer on the A gap. Never had a chance. Or rewatch Finley's best throw to Javy Johnson. Unblocked rusher runs past Stutts immediately. It was a great play by Finley to avoid the sack, keep his eyes up, and make that touch pass. The examples of free rushers and missed blocks by the OL is limited only by the number of snaps we took on the day.

The QBs aren't great. The WRs aren't great. But the OL is next level bad. Not even worth comparison between the position groups. 

Edited by mcgufcm
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Texas and Auburn had similar offensive line situations (not good) when they hired Sarkisian after we hired Harsin.  Sark prioritized OL for NIL dollars and now 8 of the 10 OL guys on his 2 deep are his guys, and they just went head to head with Alabama. He owned the problem and fixed it.  We hired the wrong guy, then we crippled his recruiting rather than fire him, and here we are.  But Harsin went out of his way to NOT embrace NIL, and at the very least could have thrown numbers at the O line problem and didn't do it.  How he thought he could go into an SEC season with that line is beyond me. And it's going to be WORSE next year.  If he was trying to sabotage his successor, I'm not sure how he could do it differently.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

Texas and Auburn had similar offensive line situations (not good) when they hired Sarkisian after we hired Harsin.  Sark prioritized OL for NIL dollars and now 8 of the 10 OL guys on his 2 deep are his guys, and they just went head to head with Alabama. He owned the problem and fixed it.  We hired the wrong guy, then we crippled his recruiting rather than fire him, and here we are.  But Harsin went out of his way to NOT embrace NIL, and at the very least could have thrown numbers at the O line problem and didn't do it.  How he thought he could go into an SEC season with that line is beyond me. And it's going to be WORSE next year.  If he was trying to sabotage his successor, I'm not sure how he could do it differently.

So many good points here. I wasn't aware of the Texas OL situation. Interesting comparison. With the point being, it can be improved quickly with the right guy. 

Sarkisian started 2 freshman, 2 sophomores and 1 senior against Bama on the Oline.  4 of the backups are freshmen, and the other is a sophomore.  Texas's season last year was as disappointing as ours. The joke around Austin was that if Sarkisian didn't start drinking again after that season, he was probably going to be okay. But the coaches and the alumni were all on the same page with NIL, and I have to give Sarkisian credit for what he has pulled off.  Texas is going to be another monster program. I'm kinda sorry they are coming to the SEC.

18 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

But Harsin went out of his way to NOT embrace NIL, and at the very least could have thrown numbers at the O line problem and didn't do it. 

That's not how it happened. 

Rich hamstrung CBH with NIL.

@WarDamnEagleWDE can speak on this if you want his sign off.

100% right about the UTx situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Rich hamstrung CBH with NIL.@WarDamnEagleWDE ca

100% right about the UTx situation.

And that's what scares the hell out of me going forward should he get the job.  I understand being cautious, but model our program after the bamas and georgias of the world and get as agressive as possible.

• Thanks 1

On 9/18/2022 at 7:04 AM, Mikey said:

Any thoughts about why, if the O-line is anything like as bad as has been portrayed here, Harsin has made little if any effort to acquire replacements? Thoughts about why they are worse than they were last year?

Any thought about why Harsin, who in some quarters is said to be a great developer, didn't "develop" the bunch of 3 and 4* O-line recruits Gus left to him?

It wasn't just the O-line either. The backs missed more blocks than they made. Harsin's QB's were awful. Then there's that defense..... The only group that looks improved is the WR guys and I think the only reason for that is Ike Hillyard.

Bottom line, PSU is better than they were last year. Auburn is worse. How is that Gus's fault? For how many more years are you haters going to keep trying to blame Harsin's failures on Gus?

The $64k question is:  is it even possible for you to NOT rush to defend Gus Every. Freakin. Time. when someone on this board takes a swipe at his shortcomings while he was the AU HC?  Geez man -- in shear terms of "stubborn defense," the Japanese in WWII have got nothing on you..  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tinman1 said:

And that's what scares the hell out of me going forward should he get the job.  I understand being cautious, but model our program after the bamas and georgias of the world and get as agressive as possible.

That’s what Pat Dye understood! We can be upset and mad with CBH, but nothing will change after her is gone unless our money people get their heads out of their asses! We need a colonoscopy for our football program! Especially the night before part! We need 1 vision. My question is where were these super coaches that most want when we hired Harsin, Malzahn, Chizik, Bowden or Tuberville? Nothing has changed since Dye. We hire and want to fire immediately!

• Like 1

Until Chizik, I’m not sure that was true. Bowden had six years and ran himself off by pulling a Jimbo at FSU and gutting the program by failing to recruit. Then Tubs had a decade. Tried to fire him. True. But didn’t. Chizik was the first to get a short run, and he earned it with the worst team in school history. And by hiring Loeffler. That’s a fireable offense. 

Edited by mcgufcm
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

The $64k question is:  is it even possible for you to NOT rush to defend Gus Every. Freakin. Time. when someone on this board takes a swipe at his shortcomings while he was the AU HC?  Geez man -- in shear terms of "stubborn defense," the Japanese in WWII have got nothing on you..  

I let a lot of the borderline remarks slide. I usually only respond to the fraudulent claims or some other low-hanging fruit. It is interesting that this year's AU team is worse than last year's, yet the haters still try to blame Gus. If Gus was as bad as some claim, the further we get away from Gus the better the team should get. Yet, the opposite is proving true.

59 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I let a lot of the borderline remarks slide. I usually only respond to the fraudulent claims or some other low-hanging fruit. It is interesting that this year's AU team is worse than last year's, yet the haters still try to blame Gus. If Gus was as bad as some claim, the further we get away from Gus the better the team should get. Yet, the opposite is proving true.

This might come as shocking news to you but, ... Gus absolutely WAS as bad as some on here claim!  As embarrassing as last Saturday's loss to Penn State was, you can find losses just  as hideous during Gus's tenure when AU traveled to Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge & Athens, just to name a few.  A quick Google search of 'worst embarrassing losses for Auburn under Gus Malzahn' yielded right up top:  5 Worst Losses   OK?  Give the knee-jerk defense of Gus a rest.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

Give the knee-jerk defense of Gus a rest.  

Gus also took us to a national championship game, beat bammer more than anybody else did over his time at AU and never had a losing season. He ran a clean program that never had a scandal or NCAA problem. Give the knee-jerk hatred of Gus a rest.

• Like 1

Just listened to a radio interview (about illegal immigration) with Tuberville, but the last question was about Auburn football and Harsin.  His opinion is this.  Harsin "inherited a huge mess with very few good players" whose talent does not match the teams they are playing.  He wishes him the best but it will take a long time to turn things around.

Listen.  We all can debate until the cows come home about Gus, Harsin, etc.  Gus had his moments, but the rest of the league had passed him by.  As Kirby said, "once you get past the 1st few series against Gus you have him figured out".  It was time for him to go.  As far as Harsin, it is apparent he is in over his head and needs to go also.  Just a question of when.

It will take everyone in power at Auburn to get this ship upright, and it's going to take years.  I hope the right decision are made so we don't continue the downfall.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tinman1 said:

His opinion is this.  Harsin "inherited a huge mess with very few good players" whose talent does not match the teams they are playing.  He wishes him the best but it will take a long time to turn things around.

And patience is no longer given by our fan base.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Gus also took us to a national championship game, beat bammer more than anybody else did over his time at AU and never had a losing season. He ran a clean program that never had a scandal or NCAA problem. Give the knee-jerk hatred of Gus a rest.

{sigh}  If you look closely at this picture, you might just be able to glimpse the forest -- right behind those trees:  

Fall Forest GIF by Living Stills

• Haha 2
  • Dislike 1

16 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

{sigh}  If you look closely at this picture, you might just be able to glimpse the forest -- right behind those trees:  

Fall Forest GIF by Living Stills

Not with his head up his eyes closed