Kiffen/Sanders

AuCivilEng1

Kiffin vs Sanders  

134 members have voted

1. 1. From what I’ve gathered, the overwhelming majority of the fan base wants one of these guys. At this point Auburn as a whole is going to be devastated if one of these two isn’t our coach next year.  My question is, if both are interested, how tf does Auburn choose? What a complicated yet delightful problem to have. My question is, if these are your two guys, who you picking and why 1 over the other?

1 hour ago, AUDrew said:

Like it or not, CFB is about recruiting above all else.  That's how Lil Nicky built an empire.

Put yourself in the shoes of an 18 year old kid.  Who makes the bigger impression on you sitting in your living room?  Lifelong coach of a legendary DC that you likely never heard of?  Or, the NFL Hall of Famer with Super Bowl Rings who is arguably the greatest Defensive Back to ever play the game?

It's gotta be Prime Time if it's between the two.  All Prime needs to do is come in and make out of the park hires for his staff and then manage the program and bring in the talent. 

If you’re a HS recruit and you’ve never heard of Lane then you’re an idiot who has no business playing at the highest level. 

Deion has grown on me but everything surrounding him is hype. That’s a red flag. How’s that hype going to do if Auburn goes 6-6 next year and it’s clear his scheme isn’t working? Is he just going to be a commercial that coaches? 

There are no definite yes candidates. All these rumored coaches have serious issues that need to addressed. And for some reason Auburn seems to have zero interest in going after proven HC’s who check all the boxes like Fickell or Urban. 

Just now, woodford said:

Urban

Honestly that would be the best home run of all home runs but I don’t think he’s coming back to the SEC to start over. That is an urban legend. 
Of course all this talk about De and kif is shooting for the moon too. 

• Like 2

Auburn never makes the splash hire. I want that Auburn excitement back that was here when Malzahn first came. If Sanders was named coach, Auburn would be revived overnight. There is no doubt in my mind that he wouldn't give 100%. Kiffen, I'm not so sure about. They already have commercials with Sanders and Saban together. It's meant to be. 

Edited by AU Is Gold
Grammar
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, AU Is Gold said:

Auburn never makes the splash hire. I want that Auburn excitement back that was here when Malzahn first came. If Sanders was named coach, Auburn would be revived overnight. There is no doubt in mind that he wouldn't give 100%. Kiffen, I'm not so sure about. They already have commercials with Sanders and Saban together. It's meant to be. 

I will admit that I was very excited when we hired Gus. And then for his first couple of years I thought we were going to win every game. I loved that feeling and I wish we could get it back. 

Edited by gr82b4au
  • Like 1

Between those two, I'd definitely pick Prime, but you all need to be ready for the bammer press, starting with ESPN, to dredge up every detail of the Prime Academy fiasco. From my personal digging into it, it appears Sanders got borderline scammed, then lost his cool completely when he tried to intervene and make things right. It won't be portrayed that way. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, woodford said:

If you’re a HS recruit and you’ve never heard of Lane then you’re an idiot who has no business playing at the highest level. 

I wasn't saying a recruit hadn't heard of Lane.  I was saying that his legacy cache of being in and around the NFL all his life because his Dad was Monte is probably not something that has any effect on a 18 year old because most of them have no idea who Monte Kiffin is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AUDrew said:

Like it or not, CFB is about recruiting above all else.  That's how Lil Nicky built an empire.

Put yourself in the shoes of an 18 year old kid.  Who makes the bigger impression on you sitting in your living room?  Lifelong coach of a legendary DC that you likely never heard of?  Or, the NFL Hall of Famer with Super Bowl Rings who is arguably the greatest Defensive Back to ever play the game?

It's gotta be Prime Time if it's between the two.  All Prime needs to do is come in and make out of the park hires for his staff and then manage the program and bring in the talent. 

Nick Saban is an expert recruiter and talent evaluator. He is a good game day coach but excellent getting his team prepared and is surrounded by great assistant coaches. With that being said he still messes up when under pressure. 
I think Sanders would kill it recruiting but how is he in evaluating talent? He would definitely  have to hire great coordinators. I just don’t know if he could handle all of what entails being a SEC head coach?

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I will admit that I was very excited when we hired Gus. And then for his first couple of years I thought we were going to win every game. I loved that feeling and I wish we could get it back. 

Yep. Not long ago, we use to think, "if the defense is just average, we will be champions." So far gone now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well, um, OUR votes don't count. We have ZERO input as to the new coach.

Do I care which one? NOPE. Frankly, I really do not think it will be either of these guys. But if it is, I really do not care which.

I will support either one!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

From what I’ve gathered, the overwhelming majority of the fan base wants one of these guys. At this point Auburn as a whole is going to be devastated if one of these two isn’t our coach next year. 

My question is, if both are interested, how tf does Auburn choose? What a complicated yet delightful problem to have. My question is, if these are your two guys, who you picking and why one over the other?

I answered Lane, because I think he has more proof of concept. Sanders would also be so fun, but he’s definitely more of a risk.

At least the ones on forums anyway.

Edited by Hank2020

Lane Kiffin is made for the drama of coming to AU and taking on his old boss in the Iron Bowl.  He would do well here for a long time.

Deion Sanders would be a 5-star hire in many ways, and he has what it takes to do well at a P5 school.  He's a star in the making.

We couldn't go wrong with either, but no matter which is hired, many AU fans will be crushed.

I slightly prefer Kiffin by 51%-49%, but I think Sanders will be hired.  And our recruiting will explode.

• Like 1

I voted Prime, mostly over my concerns with Kiffin. Kiffin doesn’t always know when to keep his mouth shut, and I think he’d eventually say the wrong thing to the wrong person. I also worry about Kiffin darting out of our program. Auburn is one of the best jobs in the country, but there are 4-5 schools consistently considered more prestigious. Just like he darted from UT to USC, I’d worry that he’d dart from here to one of those program, perhaps Bama after Saban retires. And  we think Bama fans have egos now? Imagine how much they’d rub stealing our coach in our face. 
Finally, I think Kiffin has some glaring coaching weaknesses. Kiffin has more SEC experience. That doesn’t make him better per se. It just means that we know more about him. Will Muschamp has more SEC experience than both of them, and he’s a terrible head coach. So at this point, the one thing we can say about Lane is that we know more about his strengths and weaknesses than we do Sanders. For all that’s said about Lane’s offense, Lane Kiffin consistently puts bad defenses on the field, and makes head scratching in game decisions all the time.
So, picking between the two, both have egos to a degree, but Prime’s personality I think meshes well here as a guy who legitimately enjoys mentoring as a way to feed his ego versus Kiffin who gets his kicks by acting like an internet troll. Prime is more of an unknown, but I see potential, versus I think we know what we get with Kiffin… good offense and bad defense.  
Plus, I could see Prime and Bruce getting along. I feel like Lane would see Bruce as a threat, kind of like how Calipari flipped out in Mark Stoops. 

• Like 2

Prime + Bruce = Auburn would have the coolest coaches on the planet!!!

Prime + Charles + Bo + Big Hurt = Auburn is the place of legendary players and personalities!

Prime on the recruiting trail = AU in the top 3 every year!

Prime @ AU = AU is in the headlines every single week!

• Like 5

I just got off the phone with a longtime friend who is a lifelong Bama fan (and alum).  His daughter is in her freshman year at Auburn and he has begrudgingly begun rooting for Auburn when they are not playing Bama.  He said if we hire Sanders he is going all in on Auburn.  Orange and blue everything.  His comment was that he doesn't know if Deion is a good football coach, but Deion knows who the good football coaches are and can bring them in to handle that while he visits every high school in the states of Alabama, Georgia and Florida and racks up recruits.  

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Auburn Tiger said:

Now will those in power listen?

Why should they?  Stop the Steele got us Harsin. Fool me once….

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Why should they?  Stop the Steele got us Harsin. Fool me once….

No. Allen Greene got us Harsin. Stop the Steele didn’t say “hire Harsin.” And there is no indication that Greene acted based on a social media frenzy. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, AUDrew said:

I agree.  

30 minutes ago, Auburn Tiger said:

No. Allen Greene got us Harsin. Stop the Steele didn’t say “hire Harsin.” And there is no indication that Greene acted based on a social media frenzy. 

The collective cluster that was that off season got us Harsin. Between the fan revolt, the Steele undercutting Malzahn stuff with the boosters, and boosters’ need for control, Greene ended up on like his 9th choice before hiring Harsin. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DAG said:

DEION. It’s fairly simple. 

Agreed. And yet some folks just can't get it straight.