How does a school reach out to a potential coach?

AUFAN1972

How or what is the correct way that a AD or search committee reaches out to a potential coach?   Do they just contact the coaches agent and say we would like to talk if he has any interest?

"Hey Bobby. You still got that same girlfriend and bike? No. Well come on down and lets talk...."

They check AUFamily.com .

Specifically my posts

They go through agents or search committees. Make contact and start interviewing like a normal vacant position. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, AUFAN1972 said:

As always, when a question is asked not one person on Aufamily.com knows anything but smart azz answers, or  they just quote what someone else said.

99.9% of us are regular fans just like you. We've never hired a football coach. 

I mean yeah, you reach out to the guys agent or if they don't have an agent you might contact their current school to request permission to talk with the coach as a courtesy, or you can reach out to the coach directly through email, phone calls, etc. 

There's likely not one specific hiring method that all schools use to reach out or make contact with candidates. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AUFAN1972 said:

As always, when a question is asked not one person on Aufamily.com knows anything but smart azz answers, or  they just quote what someone else said.

And yet you keep asking?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, AUFAN1972 said:

I don’t know for sure, but I imagine most sitting HC have a contract that says they can’t talk to another team during the season. So, if they are interested, they need to go through an agent.  The agent will let the school know of their interest and then “talks” will happen, with the agent acting as an intermediary.  From the school’s perspective, the AD and/or a committee makes a list of their top targets, then contacts the agents of those targets.  I would imagine that they either eliminate a candidate pretty quickly or they can go pretty far down the road with an agent, before actually talking to the coach.  Then, if he doesn’t make a good impression, they move in to the next target.  I imagine Auburn has several targets they are pursuing at one time.  

All of this is just guesswork on my part. 

I would think at this point, informal interviews have already started to take place with agents to gauge interest.  All the candidates that are mentioned daily, likely have already been reached out to.  Those candidates have told their agents to let AU know if they are interested or not.  If not, they have already moved on regardless of whether their name continues to be bantered around daily in the media.  If they are interested, behind the scenes talks are taking place and one's who make the cut are being vetted and discussed intently and will get a formal interview after the Iron Bowl.  With timing being an issue with the ESD and Portal date (both in December), you have to be very methodical in how and when all of this takes place.  You have to hit the ground running (meaning things already have to be in motion) by December 1.  The next 3-4 weeks are going to be interesting.  We just have to keep our sanity and be patience.  All indication so far with our new president and our new AD, is that we are going to do this right.  Let's see what happens.

• Like 1

Group text.  Mainly it’s just @bigbird @TitanTiger and I going back and forth on a shared Notes list, adding and crossing candidates off before we tell Cohen who to interview.  But occasionally we’ll solicit feedback via AUFAMILY Twitter Poll or from Roberts.

As for initial contact, that’s where @augolf1716 comes into play.  #roadtrips 

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Group text.  Mainly it’s just @bigbird @TitanTiger and I going back and forth on a shared Notes list, adding and crossing candidates off before we tell Cohen who to interview.  But occasionally we’ll solicit feedback via AUFAMILY Twitter Poll or from Roberts.

💯 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

sisters.gif 

Golf's at the end

• Haha 1