2023 Portal Discussion Thread

toddc

27 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

Is Thompson visiting Florida? I've seen us, Florida and a few other P5 schools are after him.

I feel sure UF will be going after the same group of QBs that AU is. Cameron did say there was more interest in Thorne than Thompson overall, whatever thats worth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, CR said:

I think hes taking finals this week which is delaying visits

^^^

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Let’s hope the tampering worked and we’re just waiting for Thorne’s exams to be completed 

That’s what it sounds like. I hope it all works out as he has planned it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

Kiffin claimed we tampered, right? 

Wouldn't surprise me. He is always saying something. He reminds me of a teenager that loves to hear their own voice and opinions. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

Crying and accusing your fellow SEC coaches of cheating is a quick way to get blackballed from their coaching fraternity, I would think. 

It hasn't affected Saban or Kirby yet.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

I'm pretty sure it was Lane Kiffin who said it. He said that Auburn was tampering with Thorne for a month before he ever entered the transfer portal. I know tampering is illegal but we all know that Tommy Rees and Saban had talked to Tyler Buchner before he entered the portal. Even LSU accused Kiffin of tampering to get Walker Howard to transfer from LSU to Ole Miss. It's kinda childish to run to media about it though and Kiffin is good at that. 

Crying and accusing your fellow SEC coaches of cheating is a quick way to get blackballed from their coaching fraternity, I would think. It will just make it even more sweet when we beat them at Jordan Hare this fall.

How in the world would Kiffin know who tampered with a QB from MSU unless he did?

• Like 3

Rivals finally posted this afternoon about the QB situation and said the same as Bird and CT. Basically it is believed that Thorne is who we want (and have probably been waiting for) and MSU graduation is this weekend. He will not be able to visit this weekend but the “rumor” is that we lead for him. 
We just need him to visit. If he sets a visit for next week, CT will go elsewhere I am sure. 
Guessing probably Florida who is just as desperate as we are…

• Like 2

If Thorne is the man, he doesn't need to blow his finals. He needs to graduate or there could be another problem we don't need

• Like 4

Thompson and Thorne both have the completion percentage that Freeze puts a HUGE priority on for his QBs. We know what happened going after Zach Calzada w/ known shoulder issues and Thompson is coming off shoulder & throwing hand surgeries last 9 months. He's exactly what Freeze likes - pre surgeries. Thorne's youtube highlights show a Wuerfel-like ability to consistently hit those receiver outside shoulder passes that are so hard to defend. Downside, he stares down his target from snap to throw. Every. Single. Time. That works vs Western Michigan but maybe not SEC DBs. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

How in the world would Kiffin know who tampered with a QB from MSU unless he did?

It wasn’t Kiffin….it was some Michigan State fan that tweeted it then AU Rivals responded with a tweet about them calling Mel Tucker “the Portal King” and I think people saw that and automatically assumed Kiffin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’d kinda rather us be going after Thompson if there’s even the slightest chance that Thorne’s academic status is in doubt. Have we learned nothing from the McCall debacle?

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I’d kinda rather us be going after Thompson if there’s even the slightest chance that Thorne’s academic status is in doubt. Have we learned nothing from the McCall debacle?

Have you learned nothing ? There is nothing indicating that his academic status is in doubt. 

• Like 3

Just now, AUwent said:

Who is saying this kids academics is in doubt?  

• Like 1

Just now, DAG said:

Have you learned nothing ? There is nothing indicating that his academic status is in doubt. 

Fair, it’s just that he hasn’t finished his finals yet. Keyword, “even the slightest.”

Edited by AUwent
  • Facepalm 2

Just now, AUwent said:

Fair, it’s just that he hasn’t finished his finals yet. 

Heck! He hasn’t even visited yet! 

Finals are scheduled at a specific time for all students and so is graduation. The smart thing to do is to focus on that and then focus on the transfer decision. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Heck! He hasn’t even visited yet! 

My point exactly. This just feels like a completely unnecessary risk by the staff.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

11 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Who is saying this kids academics is in doubt?  

Nobody. Went is just jumping from A to X times Y divided by Z as he does from time to time.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AUwent said:

My point exactly. This just feels like a completely unnecessary risk by the staff.

Hmmm.. I don’t see you making that point in your comment. Risky recruiting decisions by our staff?? Could be. I’m guessing they have more knowledge than I do and I hope they do their best. At the end of the day nothing is certain 

12 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Fair, it’s just that he hasn’t finished his finals yet. Keyword, “even the slightest.”

I mean come on man that can be applied to students on our team if that is the case. McCall literally was just the worst case scenario for everybody and quite frankly he screwed himself .

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AUwent said:

It means let the man finish his damn school work since it's finals week. Since he just entered the portal he will focus on where to transfer to after Finals.

• Like 4

We have no clue what is going on with these two QBs.
For all we know Thompson wasn’t cleared by the training staff or wants to take other visits before he decides. Or the staff told him he is plan B if A does not work out. 
Thorne might have to complete his academics and get his grades sent to Auburn before they can officially offer him. Or he might not even be that interested in Auburn and is slow playing the staff. 🤷

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, AUwent said:

You are making a mountain out of nothing, not a mole hill, a grain of sand, nothing! I'm not going to say definitively there's no risk but I will say no source anywhere has given the slightest indication Thorne may not graduate. At this point, if there was, an insider one 1 of the boards would have said something if there was a concern. That has not happened.

• Like 1

The risk here is that IF Thompson is ready to commit or move on, but we slow play him waiting on Thorne, we better be extremely confident that Thorne is in.  This seems like an unnecessary risk unless the staff is A.  Much higher on Thorne than Thompson AND B.  Very confident that Thorne is coming to AU.  
If we slow play Thompson, he moves on, and then Thorne decides to go somewhere else we’re forced to live off of McCall rumors until mid-August.  🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

The risk here is that IF Thompson is ready to commit or move on, but we slow play him waiting on Thorne, we better be extremely confident that Thorne is in.  This seems like an unnecessary risk unless the staff is A.  Much higher on Thorne than Thompson AND B.  Very confident that Thorne is coming to AU.  
If we slow play Thompson, he moves on, and then Thorne decides to go somewhere else we’re forced to live off of McCall rumors until mid-August.  🤦‍♂️

Yup. Lots of “If” factors in play here. Time will tell 

• Like 2