Coastal QB Grayson McCall

Zeek

15 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

So far Freeze has proven he is able to pick low hanging fruit on the recruiting trail. I’m hoping and remaining optimistic that he can catch some bigger… more challenging fish 

You may have to wait until this time next year on much of that. Most of the big fish were already reeled in before Freeze was hired.

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

So far Freeze has proven he is able to pick low hanging fruit on the recruiting trail. I’m hoping and remaining optimistic that he can catch some bigger… more challenging fish 

Has signing day come and gone and I just didn’t realize it?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

Ah, the coveted “drive the mods crazy. total chaos” category. I’ll check.  The ability to be both pro and anti freeze simultaneously, while also being critical but supportive of dabo, sanders,  ect  - all within the same thread. 

There is no greater achievement.

After reading this I re-read it in the voice of Ralphie from A Christmas Story (Similar to how he described the Red Ryder BB gun). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

44 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Has signing day come and gone and I just didn’t realize it?

No but there is still a lot of Auburn fan PTSD from the past 8ish years.  

I think it will be a good class.  Not expecting miracles.  This staff has a lot of damage to undo. 

I can guarantee it will be better than anything Harsin would have pulled in. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, GreenTiger said:

I could be wrong, and there may be a little bit of overstatement/hyperbole in this, but in 2-3 weeks, Freeze and his piecemeal staff have recruited more offensive lineman than the last two Auburn staffs over the past 3-4 years, combined. 

Edited by AUINSY
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

Yup. We are still living in the hype phase. We will see how much of his recruiting ability is actually true in the next few weeks. 

You can’t expect miracles in three weeks.  Recruiting is built upon relationships built over a long period of time and this staff is having to work overtime to establish those, just like any new coaching staff does.   

Also, Harsin burned a lot of those bridges while he was here which makes the new staff’s job even harder.  

Even Saban’s first class was not that spectacular, he had about a month to put it together and their biggest recruit, Rolando McClain, was a Shula recruit.  Shula left Saban a much better foundation than Harsin left Freeze. 

Freeze needs to be judged on the 2024 class, that is where he will need to prove himself on the trail.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

You can’t expect miracles in three weeks.  Recruiting is built upon relationships built over a long period of time and this staff is having to work overtime to establish those, just like any new coaching staff does.   

Also, Harsin burned a lot of those bridges while he was here which makes the new staff’s job even harder.  

Even Saban’s first class was not that spectacular, he had about a month to put it together and their biggest recruit, Rolando McClain, was a Shula recruit.  Shula left Saban a much better foundation than Harsin left Freeze. 

Freeze needs to be judged on the 2024 class, that is where he will need to prove himself on the trail.  

I get what you are saying. And mostly agree. One could argue that the recent Legacy recruit and the Aviation linemen are a windfall because Harsin is gone not because Freeze is such a dynamic recruiter ( he could be I’m not arguing he is not) 

The NC State QB Leary and MS State RaRa Thomas are both big fish and all recruiters are on equal footing in getting these guys from the portal and on their roster. Can Freeze and company make it happen? The hype train says that selling his program and getting recruits is his strength. I’m hopeful that this is correct because those players are in his office this weekend. 

17 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Leary is ranked higher. He is on campus. 

DL should  be priority #1 when it comes to QB’s. 

14 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

I get what you are saying. And mostly agree. One could argue that the recent Legacy recruit and the Aviation linemen are a windfall because Harsin is gone not because Freeze is such a dynamic recruiter ( he could be I’m not arguing he is not) 

The NC State QB Leary and MS State RaRa Thomas are both big fish and all recruiters are on equal footing in getting these guys from the portal and on their roster. Can Freeze and company make it happen? The hype train says that selling his program and getting recruits is his strength. I’m hopeful that this is correct because those players are in his office this weekend. 

Well I agree….with a caveat.  

You have to sell a QB on the fact that you WILL fix the Oline.  That is 100% on Malzahn and Harsin.  Its just hard, as we saw last year, to get a top QB to come in and play behind an awful offensive line. 

Then the skill players, like WRs, fall.  They want to know who is throwing the ball to them and its the same concept.  It all goes back to the lines, and selling these skills guys that you have a plan you have already started enacting to fix it. 

You have to remember, Leary wants to improve his draft stock.  The offensive line is going to be key for him.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

I think it will be a good class.  Not expecting miracles.  This staff has a lot of damage to undo. 

I agree, and I was being facetious. 😂

4 hours ago, AUINSY said:

I could be wrong, and there may be a little bit of overstatement/hyperbole in this, but in 2-3 weeks, Freeze and his piecemeal staff have recruited more offensive lineman than the last two Auburn staffs over the past 3-4 years, combined. 

You noticed that too?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, jAUSon said:

So is this curtains for McCall to Auburn? 

Yes all the Auburn pay sites are saying it’s a situation similar to desi sills. Really sucks because it was basically a slam dunk and we think he would of committed this weekend or shortly thereafter.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

think it will be a good class.  Not expecting miracles.  This staff has a lot of damage to undo. 

Agree 100%. I mean, it’s been 3 weeks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

Dang! That is disappointing. Would have been a great spark to the recruiting fire. 

Leary can be too….don’t give up all hope 😬

I wanted McCall too, just disappointing that we can’t take him because of an academic technicality when it seems he really wants to be here but oh well…..Leary is still a dang good QB and a tremendous upgrade over our current options. 

Auburn academics biting us in the butt again. No idea why we seem to be the only SEC school that can’t make s*** happen. Some talk the staff might prefer Leary anyways.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Auburn academics biting us in the butt again. No idea why we seem to be the only SEC school that can’t make s*** happen. Some talk the staff might prefer Leary anyways.

If we get Leary. We will be thanking AU academics. 

The staff would be correct. He is the better option!!

4 hours ago, Zeek said:

Kirby wouldve found him a nice underwater basket weaving class at Uga. Notice they and Bama never have these issues. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Zeek said:

Thank goodness we're not GT!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, twilli13 said:

Kirby wouldve found him a nice underwater basket weaving class at Uga. Notice they and Bama never have these issues. 

This. AU is not an Ivy League institution 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

the more damage i see from harsin the madder i get. we will never do it but i wish we could sure the dog stew out of him! he does not deserve the money he got for the shape he left us in.................

6 hours ago, Zeek said:

so we cannot sign him and get him a tutor? he would not be able to practice or anything?