Coastal QB Grayson McCall

Zeek

10 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Supposedly there was stuff going on behind the scenes to indicate it might not be over. I'm just saying it's obvious that we can finally put this to rest

It is now and yes, there were a lot of people working on trying to figure it out; at UF as well.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

This has been posted a few times; one way or another. For some reason, most of us refuse to acknowledge all the facts....

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JOSEPHIAMLEGEND75@GMAIL.CO said:

This has been posted a few times; one way or another. For some reason, most of us refuse to acknowledge all the facts....

Right. It doesn't fit the narrative.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

His accuracy just didn't become suddenly suspect. At no point this year was he accurate. He was a turnover machine from his very first start. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

8 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

His accuracy just didn't become suddenly suspect. At no point this year was he accurate. He was a turnover machine from his very first start. 

Okay.

So you don't consider the shoulder injury may have retarded any improvement in his passing game.

And I don't know if I would call 5 interceptions over 8 starts a turnover machine

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

RA, IMHO has a high upside in this offense. At the end of the day it's up to Freeze and Montgomery to bring out the very best in him and put him in a position to succeed... Something Harsin and Kiesau DIDN'T do.

7 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

The “narrative” ??? What is the  narrative ?? 

The Ashford is just an inaccurate passer. Without considering how a shoulder injury may have contributed to accuracy issues

• Haha 1

Well, he couldnt beat out Finley for the starting job before his injury so.....there's that. 

Honestly, I think we would love to have another Nick Marshall and would love for Ashford to be that guy. I think we can all agree on that. But IF we could have better, why not? 

Thinking further on this, imagine having a J Stidham type pocket passer but also having a package just for Ashford. He's such a great asset to have, it would be scary good. 

15 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

The Ashford is just an inaccurate passer. Without considering how a shoulder injury may have contributed to accuracy issues

He was horribly inaccurate in HS too. That's why he ended up at Oregon and not at an SEC school.

Also, do you ever wonder why he was sitting behind 3 QB's at Oregon, and then couldn't beat out TJ Finley (who stinks) here and needed Calzada to be be hurt to get onto the field?

He has size and well above average athleticism. If he had accuracy, he wouldn't have been 3rd/4th string at two different P5 schools.

It seems like you just want to see what you want to see. For example, if you followed the QB competition at all during the fall, his inaccuracy and tendency to make mistakes was constantly talked about. And this was well before whatever injuries he suffered. At no point in time has he proven to actually be accurate.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, metafour said:

He was horribly inaccurate in HS too. That's why he ended up at Oregon and not at an SEC school.

Also, do you ever wonder why he was sitting behind 3 QB's at Oregon, and then couldn't beat out TJ Finley (who stinks) here and needed Calzada to be be hurt to get onto the field?

He has size and well above average athleticism. If he had accuracy, he wouldn't have been 3rd/4th string at two different P5 schools.

It seems like you just want to see what you want to see. For example, if you followed the QB competition at all during the fall, his inaccuracy and tendency to make mistakes was constantly talked about. And this was well before whatever injuries he suffered. At no point in time has he proven to actually be accurate.

Exactly. I do want to see what I want to see. I want to see posters acknowledge his shoulder injury while pointing out how inaccurate a passer he is. No where have I suggested he ever was an accurate passer. But IMO, the shoulder injury should be part of the discussion. Such as, 'Boy his accuracy sucks, but  you know, if not for the shoulder injury, he may have improved over the course of the season'. 

If you don't see it that way, that's good too. 

24 minutes ago, AUnCullman said:

Well, he couldnt beat out Finley for the starting job before his injury so.....there's that. 

Honestly, I think we would love to have another Nick Marshall and would love for Ashford to be that guy. I think we can all agree on that. But IF we could have better, why not? 

He 100% DID NOT get an opportunity to beat out TJ. TJ was Harsin's guy from day 1.  Even after Ashford played good in the A Day game it was a given that he was going to be #2 or even #3 on the depth chart.  It was only after TJ got hurt and sucked so bad that Harsin gave the opportunity to Ashford.

Robby has the tools to be a good QB.  Just needs good coaching and experience.  And a decent OLine.  Next year look for some very good things from him.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

I think you have a misunderstanding as to what a narrative is. 

4 minutes ago, tinman1 said:

He 100% DID NOT get an opportunity to beat out TJ. TJ was Harsin's guy from day 1.  Even after Ashford played good in the A Day game it was a given that he was going to be #2 or even #3 on the depth chart.  It was only after TJ got hurt and sucked so bad that Harsin gave the opportunity to Ashford.

Robby has the tools to be a good QB.  Just needs good coaching and experience.  And a decent OLine.  Next year look for some very good things from him.

This narrative makes zero sense, but okay lol.

If TJ was Harsin's guy, why did he bring in Calzada to replace him? Ashford was also brought in by Harsin lol.

It's a cute narrative. You know what's more likely? The guy who completed just 49% of his passes was equally wild and erratic all camp as well lol. This has been confirmed by anyone and everyone who saw any practices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Exactly. I do want to see what I want to see. I want to see posters acknowledge his shoulder injury while pointing out how inaccurate a passer he is. No where have I suggested he ever was an accurate passer. But IMO, the shoulder injury should be part of the discussion. Such as, 'Boy his accuracy sucks, but  you know, if not for the shoulder injury, he may have improved over the course of the season'. 

That's good to be optimistic I guess. Hugh Freeze isn't going to operate under the assumption that the 3rd/4th string QB who has never shown to be accurate was in fact only inaccurate last year because he had a shoulder injury.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, tinman1 said:

I hope your right brother. No matter who the QB is, I will support them.

Question. Where did you get your info that Ashford did not have an opportunity to be QB1?

22 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

8 minutes ago, metafour said:

That's good to be optimistic I guess. Hugh Freeze isn't going to operate under the assumption that the 3rd/4th string QB who has never shown to be accurate was in fact only inaccurate last year because he had a shoulder injury.

I certainly hope Freeze doesn't operate under assumptions in lieu of live evaluation. That would be folly

4 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

I certainly hope Freeze doesn't operate under assumptions in lieu of live evaluation. That would be folly

He doesn't operate this way in recruiting (see the Hank thread), not sure why he would with players he already has on his team.

2 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

Okay.

So you don't consider the shoulder injury may have retarded any improvement in his passing game.

And I don't know if I would call 5 interceptions over 8 starts a turnover machine

You conveniently forget all the fumbles. 

LMAO at you people.  "It's a message board narrative, Robby is actually amazing"

Yet the new coach that everyone is pumping is trying his hardest to get any new QB in here to be the starter from day 1 of spring practice.  Maybe y'all should email Hugh at compliance@auburn.edu to let him know he's wrong

2 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

Okay.

21 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

You conveniently forget all the fumbles. 

No I didn't conveniently forget the fumbles. This discussion is about Ashford's inaccurate passing. Fumbles of his have no bearing in this portion of the thread