Coastal QB Grayson McCall

Zeek

On 12/29/2022 at 6:57 PM, NWALA Tiger said:

Danny Hugh has got to do a thorough analysis of his QB room as it stands now. Can he win with Ashford or Gernier this year? If he gets a transfer w multiple yrs eligibility, he runs the risk of Ashford or Gernier transferring.  The portal giveth and the portal taketh 

In my ignorant opinion, I think RA would do well sitting a year alas like MW. I hope we get a decent placeholder immediate transfer. 

42 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Still believe Robbie will be our QB next year.  Improved mightily considering no OL, no coaching. 

I believe Freeze can make him a complete player, not just a playmaker.

I don’t believe they want him to be , but he may well be.

1 minute ago, icanthearyou said:

Why would anyone not want that?  What is the rationale?

He must go so far to improve his passing. He has very little discipline in his throwing. Thats why he is so inconsistent. 

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

He must go so far to improve his passing. He has very little discipline in his throwing. Thats why he is so inconsistent. 

Okay.

I just believe he improved greatly and, Freeze's system is fairly easy to grasp.  It creates quicker reads, easier reads (even when coverages are disguised or, combos) and, creates a lot of wide open receivers. 

I think when you combine Robbie's running ability with Freeze's passing game, you may well have something very special.  Robbie has the arm and, I believe the accuracy.  Just needs a better system, better blocking, better coaching.

• Like 1

The best thing for Robbie is for us to bring in a QB for one year who is a proven starter.  Robbie is such a strong runner I think he will still have a wildcat role.  Learn without much pressure, and compete for the job after a year in the system. His running ability will give him a chance to be the starter, but he will still need to develop into a reasonably proficient  passer. I'll be rooting for him.  I love mobile QB's. They add so much to an offense. And Robbie has Vince Young-like running ability.

28 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Okay.

I just believe he improved greatly and, Freeze's system is fairly easy to grasp.  It creates quicker reads, easier reads (even when coverages are disguised or, combos) and, creates a lot of wide open receivers. 

I think when you combine Robbie's running ability with Freeze's passing game, you may well have something very special.  Robbie has the arm and, I believe the accuracy.  Just needs a better system, better blocking, better coaching.

He can definitely run!! I greatly question accuracy. He makes 1out 10 good throws. He also almost never moves in the pocket and still throws an accurate pass. Freezes system is predicated on accurate passing.

Edited by Hank2020
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I tend to agree

Ashford has already spent two years sitting at Oregon and part of one at AU. How much more sitting does anyone think he needs? It's time for him to either use the pot or get off the pot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Ashford has already spent two years sitting at Oregon and part of one at AU. How much more sitting does anyone think he needs? It's time for him to either use the pot or get off the pot.

That's not the point. The point is does he have the ability at this point to play winning football 

• Like 2

There are about 80 QBs in the Bowl games. Sadly almost every one of the teams is getting better QB play IMO than AU did. I guess that's probably one of the reasons they are in bowl games and Auburn stayed home. We just have to get better at that position.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, autan said:

There are about 80 QBs in the Bowl games. Sadly almost every one of the teams is getting better QB play IMO than AU did. I guess that's probably one of the reasons they are in bowl games and Auburn stayed home. We just have to get better at that position.

Amen!

Give Ashford a break.  He did show improvement in his last games.  Experience will allow the game to slow down for him which will make all the difference in the world.  Plus he will not be so hard on himself when he does make a mistake.  He can, and I think he will, develop into a good SEC QB.  Plus he now has someone who can teach him.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tinman1 said:

Give Ashford a break.  He did show improvement in his last games.  Experience will allow the game to slow down for him which will make all the difference in the world.  Plus he will not be so hard on himself when he does make a mistake.  He can, and I think he will, develop into a good SEC QB.  Plus he now has someone who can teach him.

The guy had trouble completing the most basic screen passes. Caddy made good use running option, but I don't think that's where Hugh Freeze wants to have to start out. If Ashford is starting, we're going to struggle offensively. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I don’t believe they want him to be , but he may well be.

He has to learn to see the field better, learn not to bail out of the pocket (when he has a good pocket to throw in) and learn how to take a few mph off his fastball on shorter throws...He cannot be a 1 dimensional QB...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, tinman1 said:

We had to go to essentially a 1960s offense to be somewhat successful.  He struggled to complete 50% of his passes.  One would hope he'd improve some, but jumping to 62%++ Comp % would be a massive jump.  I don't think the coaches believe he can they can get that out of them, which is why they are trying so hard to bring in a starter.

18 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Okay.

Wo, time out. True, Freeze's system isnt unusually complicated but he requires a level of fundamental soundness and almost NFL-caliber independent, sound judgm't before the snap from his QBs than all but a few college coaches. His starting QBs first & foremost must be able to make ALL of the throws consistently and have an unusually high completion %. 

Some very talented QBs don't fit into some very successful O systems and without reinventing themselves, can't. 

• Thanks 1

RA had a 49% passing percentage. THats pretty bad. Accuracy is a big problem. 7 TD and 7 Int. Believe it or not Finley's Passing percentage was around 60% for this past season. But all season we were plagued by weird Center to QB snaps. Low, high, left or right snaps. We kept most but it put us in a bad offensive flow within the first second or two of those plays. 

There are so many factors that are tied into one single play that can affect the overall game. If you are not good at just the fundamentals you are doomed. From the Center position to the QB, they have to be sound. 

I'm not sure what we have on our team in those 2 critical positions that can carry us to 8-9 wins next year. 

2 hours ago, AUnCullman said:

not sure what we have on our team in those 2 critical positions that can carry us to 8-9 wins next year. 

Not near enough… yet

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Welp. That's a wrap. Sucks for him. And us

I am not even trying to be a smart a$$ but why did anyone think he was gonna be an option when he couldn't get academically qualified at AU or Florida? I really was seriously asking this a couple of pages back and nobody answered and not one national blog or show thought it would happen. If the people that aren't on this board are correct, and it appears they are, how could AU "lose" him? Again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

I am not even trying to be a smart a$$ but why did anyone think he was gonna be an option when he couldn't get academically qualified at AU or Florida? I really was seriously asking this a couple of pages back and nobody answered and not one national blog or show thought it would happen. If the people that aren't on this board are correct, and it appears they are, how could AU "lose" him? Again.

Supposedly there was stuff going on behind the scenes to indicate it might not be over. I'm just saying it's obvious that we can finally put this to rest

49 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Supposedly there was stuff going on behind the scenes to indicate it might not be over.

This was from some of the same people who have previously brought notably bad information. I've learned to take a wait and see approach.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1