Coastal QB Grayson McCall

Zeek

1 hour ago, PUB78 said:

What is McCall’s major at Coastal Carolina?

I have searched and came up empty.

Sports management.

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Sports management.

Thank you. Auburn doesn’t have this degree? 

8 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Thank you. Auburn doesn’t have this degree? 

No, only as a grad minor.  Doesn’t seem to matter, UF does and he still apparently has academic issues transferring there as well.  

On 12/22/2022 at 1:04 PM, aucanucktiger said:

Particularly interesting considering we recently admitted players w/ apples & oranges academic situations from Germany (Zeirer) and various countries in Africa (various players). Not questioning just...interesting.

It's a lot easier to transfer in 2 years of JUCO vs being a 5th year player trying to transfer in essentially an entire degree and "meet" the progress towards completion for a 2nd year vs 5th year player 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

It's a lot easier to transfer in 2 years of JUCO vs being a 5th year player trying to transfer in essentially an entire degree and "meet" the progress towards completion for a 2nd year vs 5th year player 

That's the way it was explained to me, so it's hard to see why some people are still optimistic that he's coming to AU. How can he be acceptable now when he wasn't last week , at AU or Florida? 

Am I missing something obvious? 

Wouldn't be the first time for that...😃

14 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Ouch!  Thanks for sharing.  Saw he was questionable but never saw what happened.  Maybe sprained neck or Concussion? The way they report concussions nowadays, you figure that would have been said.  Guess I am thinking of NFL where they must report things.

15 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

He should really try to graduate and leave instead of transfer. If he's been there that long he's probably closer to graduation than being able to transfer.

Or why not just transfer to AU and change majors and come here as a sophomore or whatever. Play your last year of eligibility and go pro.  Ask for an additional $100k of NIL money to be set aside to complete your degree when done messing around in the pros.  You can even go back to CC to finish that degree someday. Just get him in the school some how. Seems it could work if the academics/education part wasn’t in the way somehow.  (That last sentence even made me chuckle!) 😀

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jw 4 au said:

Or why not just transfer to AU and change majors and come here as a sophomore or whatever. Play your last year of eligibility and go pro.  Ask for an additional $100k of NIL money to be set aside to complete your degree when done messing around in the pros.  You can even go back to CC to finish that degree someday. Just get him in the school some how. Seems it could work if the academics/education part wasn’t in the way somehow.  (That last sentence even made me chuckle!) 😀

You have to show progress towards a major after a certain amount of time in college. He can't start over on a new major.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

You have to show progress towards a major after a certain amount of time in college. He can't start over on a new major.

Ahh, well ok. Loophole closed as soon as it opened! Someone must have done that in the past to circumvent the rules to have a specific rule like that, because a regular student can take as long as they want and change majors twenty times over, as long as the tuition keep rolling in. Thanks. 

• Like 1

Yep at the senior level which he should be entering you have to show 80% (if I remember correct) course completion towards your degree to be eligible for athletics.  He could start over but he’d be sitting on the bench while he played catch up academically.  

The whole academic side of things are a mess. One day you’re reading about players finishing their degree in 3 years while playing football. But they’re increasingly playing alongside 6th or 7th year seniors. If you’ve been in college for 6 or 7 years going year round like they all do now, what are you working on? Doctoral degree? Law school?  

Edited by Gowebb11

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

He should really try to graduate and leave instead of transfer. If he's been there that long he's probably closer to graduation than being able to transfer.

That's probably the only hope.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

The whole academic side of things are a mess. One day you’re reading about players finishing their degree in 3 years while playing football. But they’re increasingly playing alongside 6th or 7th year seniors. If you’ve been in college for 6 or 7 years going year round like they all do now, what are you working on? Doctoral degree? Law school?  

Lots of them are in grad school at that point but redshirt years can help offset the degree progress thing if I'm not mistaken

I wonder how many credits he has to make up to transition to an AU major? Find the major that best translates, and let him bust academic butt during the spring and summer semesters to be eligible to play in the fall. That gets you spring practice also. We obviously have the spots on the roster to try it if it is mathematically possible.

18 hours ago, Pedaler said:

I wonder how many credits he has to make up to transition to an AU major? Find the major that best translates, and let him bust academic butt during the spring and summer semesters to be eligible to play in the fall. That gets you spring practice also. We obviously have the spots on the roster to try it if it is mathematically possible.

That is an interesting point.  I don't know what his "progress towards degree" has to be met.  Is it the start of fall camp?

If so, then yeah it might be possible for him to find some random major that could take say....80% of his credits.  Then his has a semester and two mini-semesters to make up the gap.

Seems like it's always been a hard yes/no.  Not "let's see if we can get him there by fall".  Would be a nice bend of the rules

Danny Hugh has got to do a thorough analysis of his QB room as it stands now. Can he win with Ashford or Gernier this year? If he gets a transfer w multiple yrs eligibility, he runs the risk of Ashford or Gernier transferring.  The portal giveth and the portal taketh 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 7:57 PM, NWALA Tiger said:

Danny Hugh has got to do a thorough analysis of his QB room as it stands now. Can he win with Ashford or Gernier this year? If he gets a transfer w multiple yrs eligibility, he runs the risk of Ashford or Gernier transferring.  The portal giveth and the portal taketh 

Didn’t Freeze already state that he is looking to add a transfer QB???  

Im curious to see how the portal impacts the development process for young QBs like Gernier and Ashford. 

1 hour ago, GreenTiger said:

Didn’t Freeze already state that he is looking to add a transfer QB???  

Im curious to see how the portal impacts the development process for young QBs like Gernier and Ashford. 

He did. The question is... Is he looking for an immediate starter or just someone to add depth