Coastal QB Grayson McCall

Zeek

10 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I wouldn't consider Vandy an auto win.  They made strides last year and we have not had a lot of recent success against them. With a competent staff and a good recruiting finish, we should be able to breeze by them.  I don't count anything easy as an Auburn football fan anymore lol

TBH, we haven't played them very often recently. We beat them in 2016. Lost to them in 2012 and 2008.

Also, if we struggle with Vandy next year, it's probably going to be a long season.

Edited by yngwie1995
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

TBH, we haven't played them very often recently. We beat them in 2016. Lost to them in 2012 and 2008.

Also, if we struggle with Vandy next year, it's probably going to be a long season.

They've had very good luck in timing with us. Imagine if we had a functional special teams unit in 2008...

• Like 3

12 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I wouldn't consider Vandy an auto win.  They made strides last year and we have not had a lot of recent success against them. With a competent staff and a good recruiting finish, we should be able to breeze by them.  I don't count anything easy as an Auburn football fan anymore lol

Auburn is going to stomp Vandy next year. We will be double digit favorites on the road. 

1 minute ago, PigskinPat said:

RaRa and McCall will both be on campus Saturday. I love that they’ll both be there and have a chance to meet!

I heard the TE target will be with them as well.

• Like 1

I would love to come out of this weekend with 4-5 transfer portal commits.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, roe4christ said:

Best case scenario. Hope this weekend can sway some HS guys signing next week (assuming any are visiting)

28 minutes ago, woodford said:

Best case scenario. Hope this weekend can sway some HS guys signing next week (assuming any are visiting)

I'm little worried the HS recruiting wont be great this year. Danny Hugh hasn't had enuf time to build those relationships.  IMO needs to focus on portal and hope he gets a flip or 2 from HS kids.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, roe4christ said:

Agree, but the most important one is this quarterback and maybe a tackle. If we get this quarterback, everything changes. 
Look at what happened with USC this past year. You change coaches, but more importantly, you add a high profile quarterback. They were 4-8 the year before. 
I am not saying that we will get to the SEC championship game, but adding this quarterback will make us relevant quickly. In my opinion, he is the most important part of recruiting this year. 

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I'm little worried the HS recruiting wont be great this year. Danny Hugh hasn't had enuf time to build those relationships.  IMO needs to focus on portal and hope he gets a flip or 2 from HS kids.

Absolutely. Most of the high school guys we can get this time are kids who were sold on Auburn anyway. Some of them may have committed elsewhere because Harsin didn't want them, but the vast majority of prospects worth having were already committed and will sign with someone else next week. Freeze hasn't had enough time to do much.

We won't be able to judge this staff's recruiting ability until next year, the class of 2024.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Agree, but the most important one is this quarterback and maybe a tackle. If we get this quarterback, everything changes. 
Look at what happened with USC this past year. You change coaches, but more importantly, you add a high profile quarterback. They were 4-8 the year before. 
I am not saying that we will get to the SEC championship game, but adding this quarterback will make us relevant quickly. In my opinion, he is the most important part of recruiting this year. 

You’re right!  A high profile QB is HUGE!   He also has to have solid pieces around him.  I think bringing in the high profile QB can help sway some of those other guys!   But we’ve got to have OL!!!  A poor OL can make a great QB look average!   Adding a couple of playmakers at WR and TE will help too.   We also need A LOT of help on defense too!

Geriner is very similar to where McCall was in 2019, right down to their physical type & skill set. If we can land Grayson it would be a very good situation to also groom Holden w/ a yr of him monitoring McCall & learning Freezeball.

• Like 5

I like both, but I think I would have preferred McCall.  I liked the idea of having both on campus and being able to talk/evaluate both.  Looks like either there is a good chance now of knowing Leary has accepted (not upset) and McCall being informed.  I would hate it if we don't have a silent commit from Leary and McCall choosing not to visit because Leary is visiting.  If Leary decides he doesn't want to come and McCall has moved on, we would end up with neither.  Probably just being paranoid. 

Hate that McCall cancelled and wonder if he backed out because Leary was coming too. Leary is coming off the knee injury. I would rather have had McCall but if competition scares him, then we good. 

1 minute ago, OB4AU said:

Hate that McCall cancelled and wonder if he backed out because Leary was coming too. Leary is coming off the knee injury. I would rather have had McCall but if competition scares him, then we good. 

Leary is leaning to UK.

1 minute ago, gr82b4au said:

Leary is leaning to UK.

That was before his visit to AU. 

4 minutes ago, OB4AU said:

Pec injury. Not knee.

• Like 2

Just now, DAG said:

Gracious lol.

I guess now we know why Leary popped up for a suprise visit this weekend.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

I guess now we know why Leary popped up for a suprise visit this weekend.

Yeah…hopefully we close the deal or we going to look foolish.