2024 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

@AUDevil Publicly 0. Privately, who knows. We did get 3 in February. I'm not expecting any public commits around or at these visits for practice. I think there could be 1 or 2 at or around A-Day in a few weeks. Moreso I think all this is laying groundwork for a big summer when OVs can start taking place.

Curious to get thought from @bigbird & @WarDamnEagleWDE.

Yeah summer is where we should expect the commits to start popping.

On 3/18/2023 at 5:52 PM, DAG said:

He couldn’t have alluded to that because those are counterproductive points. My point is completely the opposite of what he was advocating CHF should do. 

I see it as you are trying to completely dismiss his point of GM having top 15 recruiting classes multiple times but you are harping on the fact that GM classes were inflated only because he recruited high rated star players without filling positions of needs. His point was if GM could do it CHF should blow it out of the water considering CHF is a much better recruiter and more knowledgeable of the needs of a successful team! This is what I got from the back and forth amongst the two of you this my post alluding to what it was

49 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

His point was if GM could do it CHF should blow it out of the water considering CHF is a much better recruiter and more knowledgeable of the needs of a successful team!

That is definitely you projecting. He seemingly was not doing that, as evidenced by his changing his point and saying we need to do BOTH after I said what I said. Well, guess what? Gus Malzhan never did both, so tell me, how is Gus Malzhan an adequate example of this?

And even if he did think what you are saying that is not sound . It is much harder to have a comprehensive ranking with a balanced roster. I am not too sure Gus would have had such high ranking numbers without inflating certain positions. 

It is not a fair comparison. 

Edited by DAG
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ellitor said:

@AUDevil Publicly 0. Privately, who knows. We did get 3 in February. I'm not expecting any public commits around or at these visits for practice. I think there could be 1 or 2 at or around A-Day in a few weeks. Moreso I think all this is laying groundwork for a big summer when OVs can start taking place.

Curious to get thought from @bigbird & @WarDamnEagleWDE.

Brand new staff, going to take a little while to develop some relationships. I think and told we are in good hands and recruiting is going as well as it ever has. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Brand new staff, going to take a little while to develop some relationships. I think and told we are in good hands and recruiting is going as well as it ever has. 

To piggyback a little.  The flow of info from this staff isn't like it's been under the previous 3 staffs.  Some relationships are now stronger and some are non existent you can see that with some of the "news" that gets posted.  

As @WarDamnEagleWDE said, we are in good hands and as I've stated, I think the '24 & '25 classes will be two of our best classes.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Would be nice to get 1-2 commits around A-Day

I believe that's the plan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

Sounds like lots of kids are using Spring break to check out Auburn.  Too cold for the beach anyway.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

10 hours ago, DAG said:

That is definitely you projecting. He seemingly was not doing that, as evidenced by his changing his point and saying we need to do BOTH after I said what I said. Well, guess what? Gus Malzhan never did both, so tell me, how is Gus Malzhan an adequate example of this?

And even if he did think what you are saying that is not sound . It is much harder to have a comprehensive ranking with a balanced roster. I am not too sure Gus would have had such high ranking numbers without inflating certain positions. 

It is not a fair comparison. 

I guess. Good luck

Jason Caldwell's Monday morning quarterback column

8 hours ago

Keeping the pressure on

That’s what coach Hugh Freeze and the Auburn football Tigers are doing on the recruiting trail at the moment and I love the way they’re going about recruiting many of their top prospects. Getting a big group of players in very early in January, they have brought players back in smaller groups to give them more personal attention so far in March.

That’s a great way to build relationships and let players get a feel for your program and your vision for the future. It’s something we’re hearing from recruits as they get on campus and see Auburn in detail, many for the first time.

I think there will be some that take a wait and see approach to see what the Tigers look like throughout spring and maybe early next year, but there’s no question that Auburn has planted some very positive thoughts in the minds of many top prospects across the country.

One of the reasons why is Walker White. He’s becoming an elite recruiter for this staff along with his family. They drove in for a two-day visit last week and drove all the way home to Little Rock after spending time on campus. That’s how important they felt it was for him to get back on campus. Other top recruits are seeing that and are taking notice.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 3/20/2023 at 1:09 PM, alabastertiger said:

I-77 Express - We're patiently waiting, but it's not because ...

@alabastertiger Bird later had a response.

On 3/20/2023 at 8:27 AM, bigbird said:

To piggyback a little.  The flow of info from this staff isn't like it's been under the previous 3 staffs.  Some relationships are now stronger and some are non existent you can see that with some of the "news" that gets posted.  

As @WarDamnEagleWDE said, we are in good hands and as I've stated, I think the '24 & '25 classes will be two of our best classes.

• Like 2

• Thanks 2

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, toddc said:

How the devil are these kids paying for these trips? These are not official visits that are paid by the schools. When I was in high school such ramblings would have been unthinkable. The above list will require thousands of dollars in transportation and lodging alone.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

How the devil are these kids paying for these trips? These are not official visits that are paid by the schools. When I was in high school such ramblings would have been unthinkable. The above list will require thousands of dollars in transportation and lodging alone.

I'm sure some of the parents actually had planned for college and saved and now that their child is looking at scholarship money, they have money to spend on the visits. Some aren't that fortunate of course. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I'm sure some of the parents actually had planned for college and saved and now that their child is looking at scholarship money, they have money to spend on the visits. Some aren't that fortunate of course. 

The above list looks more like Party Time! to me than a serious effort to evaluate schools. Do you really think that any parents that had the intelligence and foresight to save a chunk of money for college would now piss it away on cross-country ramblings? Maybe one in 20 would, but I doubt it.

The thing to do would be to tell the kid to settle on five schools, take his five official visits and make a choice. Of course, the few schools that might be within easy driving distance aren't what I'm thinking about. These trips from Miami to Notre Dame to Oregon would deplete a college fund in a hurry.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, woodford said:

Hmmm why are these Georgia commits visiting Auburn? Weird!

@woodfordBecause most recruits are visiting different schools on their Spring breaks regardless of their commit status. Not weird at all. ICYMI we've had many Bama commits visit too.

18 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Screenshot_20230323-075037.pngSnapchat-1828940960.jpg

Trying to get him here for Big Cat 

5 Star, sure, but it’s Texas. He’s not soft is he? 😅

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

The above list looks more like Party Time! to me than a serious effort to evaluate schools. Do you really think that any parents that had the intelligence and foresight to save a chunk of money for college would now piss it away on cross-country ramblings? Maybe one in 20 would, but I doubt it.

The thing to do would be to tell the kid to settle on five schools, take his five official visits and make a choice. Of course, the few schools that might be within easy driving distance aren't what I'm thinking about. These trips from Miami to Notre Dame to Oregon would deplete a college fund in a hurry.

I'm sure there are ways around the recruits paying

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

He’s not soft is he?

Did you see where he's from?

• Haha 3