2024 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

1 hour ago, DAG said:

HE REACHED IT BECAUSE HE OVERLOADED ON A PARTICULAR SKILL SET. It is not an apples-to-apples comparison. You get that, right? Hugh Freeze could do exactly what Gus did right now, but that would be an idiotic way to build a team. So you will have to be patient, among other people. 

Ok then, what IS a realistic expectation for the next couple of years, recruiting rankings wise? We’re not competing for championships with late (or even mid) teens-ranked classes.

Edited by AUwent

30 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Ok then, what IS a realistic expectation for the next couple of years, recruiting rankings wise? We’re not competing for championships with late (or even mid) teens-ranked classes.

Get a balanced class, OL, DB, QB, ETC...don't load on just 4 star skill players . Sprinkle in some difference makers at certain positions. The formula is simple. The execution of the formula is hard. You can have a top 7 class , but it won't necessarily be a good class

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Get a balanced class, OL, DB, QB, ETC...don't load on just 4 star skill players 

I get that, but it doesn’t change the fact that a class outside the top 15 *in 2024* would be very disappointing.

Look, I’m sorry I mentioned Gus, because now people think that setting one goal for a recruiting class means I’m okay with ignoring another.

Edited by AUwent

5 hours ago, AUwent said:

We’re going to need to be at that mark consistently if we want to be a factor in the SEC/CFP hunt. Even Gus, despite woefully neglecting positions of need, landed in that area basically every year. We finished 18th with a brand new staff, 6 spots higher with a full year (so '24, in case you thought I was talking about '23) shouldn't be an unreasonable ask.

@AUwent I know all that stuff and knew you meant 24. 23 is over. Still say it's hope for 24 as of now & then expect in 25 going forwrd, top 10 classes.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Pointless to have a star studded set of skill players and piss poor line play.

Don't tell Gus.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

@AUwent I know all that stuff and knew you meant 24. 23 is over. Still say it's hope for 24 as of now & then expect in 25 going forwrd, top 10 classes.

Yeah ‘25 is where it’s at. But ok, can we at least expect to reach top 15 in ‘24? Look at UF’s classes under Napier so far and they’ve followed roughly that pattern. Based off that, I believe it should be fair to expect a top half of teens class. This year we were 18 on 247 and 17 on On3. It shouldn't be too much to ask to be *three* spots better with an entire year under the staff.

Starting in '25, we do need to at least average top 10.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, DAG said:

What you are describing is the ends justify the means. That is not sound logic. You need to have a balanced roster to have sustainable success. That is why we are partially in the mess we are in now. Looking at overall recruiting rankings without reading the fineprint. Pointless to have a star studded set of skill players and piss poor line play.

Very obvious comment.

We need to have an annual class ranking from 4-9 and have good roster management vs what gus did.

• Like 2

Not really. The hardest position to evaluate is offensive line. I don't give two craps what they are rated. I care how they are developed , and how they produce on the field. If Gus had Mississippi States O line in a lot of his  seasons, he'd still be the coach and AU would be working on a statue outside the stadium. This is just my opinion, and I could be wrong, but I have seen way too many 2 and 3 star O lines own us in my lifetime. The O line rating in recruiting would suffer, but no AU fan would care. 

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 6

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/12/2023 at 1:33 PM, AUwent said:

Based on what Freeze has said, I think he’s expecting top 5 classes in ‘24 and ‘25.  He didn’t say that specifically but did say they need to be recruiting at an elite national level in order to close the talent gap with his neighbors.  He said recruiting is the secret sauce.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, toddc said:

This is what I’m talkin about…going after #1 recruits all over the southeast 

• Like 2

Big day for recruiting!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

On 3/16/2023 at 8:27 AM, dilligas said:

Based on what Freeze has said, I think he’s expecting top 5 classes in ‘24 and ‘25.  He didn’t say that specifically but did say they need to be recruiting at an elite national level in order to close the talent gap with his neighbors.  He said recruiting is the secret sauce.

He has to say that & believe that but I just don't think you can simplistically put a ranking number on that in year 1 for an expectation. As @DAG has said the important thing is to fill all positions on roster with high quality players & depth. Whatever ranking number it is will be whatever it is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Any updates on the huge recruiting day?

@AUpreacherman22 a lot more future visits. There’s more, but if there’s any individual recruit you’re wondering about that’s gonna be the best route to go because there’s just too much information to kind of generalize on all of them. And I don’t want to break down whenever you recruit said. Just too much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/12/2023 at 1:18 PM, DAG said:

HE REACHED IT BECAUSE HE OVERLOADED ON A PARTICULAR SKILL SET. It is not an apples-to-apples comparison. You get that, right? Hugh Freeze could do exactly what Gus did right now, but that would be an idiotic way to build a team. So you will have to be patient, among other people. 

I think he alluded to that. His point is if GM can do it then CHF should be able to easily do it 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

I think he alluded to that. His point is if GM can do it then CHF should be able to easily do it 

He couldn’t have alluded to that because those are counterproductive points. My point is completely the opposite of what he was advocating CHF should do. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Things are going great!  How many commits have we received this month?  Gotta be 4 or 5 right?

@AUDevil Publicly 0. Privately, who knows. We did get 3 in February. I'm not expecting any public commits around or at these visits for practice. I think there could be 1 or 2 at or around A-Day in a few weeks. Moreso I think all this is laying groundwork for a big summer when OVs can start taking place.

Curious to get thought from @bigbird & @WarDamnEagleWDE.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@AUDevil Publicly 0. Privately, who knows. We did get 3 in February. I'm not expecting any public commits around or at these visits for practice. I think there could be 1 or 2 at or around A-Day in a few weeks. Moreso I think all this is laying groundwork for a big summer when OVs can start taking place.

Curious to get thought from @bigbird & @WarDamnEagleWDE.

Let me get back to you later tonight, please 

• Like 2