2024 5*+ WR Cam Coleman FLIPS TO AU FROM A&M!!!

ellitor

5 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

To be fair though, everyone thought Cam would be good. Nobody knew he’d be THAT good, especially after the spring game.

https://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/12621/ranking-the-secs-quarterbacks

Chris Low, ESPN Senior Writer

Aug 13, 2010, 11:09 AM ET

7. Cameron Newton, Auburn

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, tbone4jc said:

Poor Carl Lawson just don’t get much love…

One of my favorite defensive players in Auburn history. For his limited time because of injuries, he made some historical stops and sacks. My favorite being the 4th down stop against Alabama which was the key play leading to the possibility of the kick six. 

• Like 5

Cowart is the highest ranked recruit Auburn has signed, but he also was the biggest bust.  He was in no way the “best pick up” for Auburn, the only thing he did for Auburn was boost the recruiting ranking that year.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

But really. Is this the best  pick up in Auburn history? I get that we’ve literally signed the top player before. But this class is loaded with talent, so even though he’s listed at around 7th, talent is just better in this class than some of the others recently. And considering how erm… not great… the receiver room is, he can really help flip the script.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AEAugirl said:

Cowart is the highest ranked recruit Auburn has signed, but he also was the biggest bust.  He was in no way the “best pick up” for Auburn, the only thing he did for Auburn was boost the recruiting ranking that year.  

He might have boosted the sale of Chucky dolls that year, too.

Edited by yngwie1995
  • Haha 1

From idle curiosity: Why was bammer never in the hunt for Coleman? I haven't seen them mentioned but it seems he should have been right in their wheelhouse. ?????

12 hours ago, AUApostle said:

Page 9 of this thread is where the melt is.

kudos to NWALA and a few others, though.

Thanks, I may not know much. But I know what I know. I'm not an insider,  but this one I just happened to be in the right place at the right time and heard the info

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

From idle curiosity: Why was bammer never in the hunt for Coleman? I haven't seen them mentioned but it seems he should have been right in their wheelhouse. ?????

They didn’t want him anyway.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

That's actually pretty sad if you think about it

Not that sad. We’ve had other high profile recruits on offense. Just none THiS high profile.

6 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

Cowart was #1 Overall in the ESPN 300. So, he'd be the highest ranked recruit that any college could sign.

https://www.complex.com/sports/a/complex/byron-cowart-picks-auburn-catches-hell-from-florida-fans

This morning, NFL-ready defensive end and No. 1 overall player on the ESPN 300, Byron Cowart (see highlights below), announced that he'll be playing at Auburn, a choice that surprised many in his native Florida, especially since the Gators were considered by some to be the front-runner entering Wednesday.

Edited by yngwie1995
  • Like 1

Can we get a Quarterback now? Getting 5-star receivers is all dandy, but we need someone to get the ball to them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

Not that sad. We’ve had other high profile recruits on offense. Just none THiS high profile.

I don't know, Willie Anderson was pretty high if I remember right.

9 hours ago, yngwie1995 said:

Cowart was #1 Overall in the ESPN 300. So, he'd be the highest ranked recruit that any college could sign.

https://www.complex.com/sports/a/complex/byron-cowart-picks-auburn-catches-hell-from-florida-fans

Amazing how far off these evals can be.  This guy called him NFL ready as a senior in high school.

30 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Amazing how far off these evals can be.  This guy called him NFL ready as a senior in high school.

I remember he looked NFL ready from a frame and physical standpoint.

I can't remember what classification he played in HS but his highlights were unreal as well.

Things just didn't mesh well for him at AU at that point. It happens. Happens at a lot of places and with a lot of kids.

Just hurts more when it's your highest rated recruit in modern history lol

13 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I can't remember what classification he played in HS but his highlights were unreal as well.

His last 2 years in high School: 94 solo tackles, 36 tackles for loss, 24 sacks

His 4 years in college: 25 solo tackles, 6.5 tackles for loss, 3 sacks.

I was so excited when we signed him.   I thought we had finally signed a dominant edge.

• Like 1

Actually before the modern recruiting services were around, USA Today was the go to for recruiting rankings. Stephen Davis was the #1 recruit in the country in 1992 for USA Today. He wasn't a bust either.

• Like 3