Auburn in the NFL Draft

toddc

6 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Tank is a great RB. I hate that AU failed him from a coaching and recruiting perspective. He could have easily been a 1500 yard back. The Jags got a steal IMO…

He was so underrated in draft mocks.  I thought he'd be a sleeper anywhere he landed, but oh my with the Jags.  Wanna say perfect spot. He will compliment Etienne so well and be a chain mover for them.  Love the spot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

I know the coaches get all the credit for putting players in NFL (especially when discussing the 1st round), but in reality I believe Saban and Smart just had better players. They put themselves into the 1st round. If we can get them to come to AU (hasn’t happened frequently enough), they will mostly push themselves ti 1st round. 2/3’s of the 1st rounders this year did not play for those 2.

This! I always thought that stat about Saban (44 1st Round picks) was overrated. When you get more 4* and 5* players than everyone else, of course you're going to "get more people into the NFL" (and 1st Round). 

I'd love to see a couple of stats: 

1) What percentage of 1st Round picks were 4* and 5* players?

2) How many 4* and 5* players has Saban had at bama vs other teams (e.g. Auburn) during that same time period. Same goes with Kirby. 

Well we def. made a step in the right direction. Bama & UGA had 10 each..  We had 5 drafted.. 

With Freeze being the recruiter he is, I can see us moving closer to them in the next year or two.

• Like 3

How in the world can anyone think that Robbie or Tank could be any good with an Oline like this??? Where is the blocking????????? 

Oline.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

Well we def. made a step in the right direction. Bama & UGA had 10 each..  We had 5 drafted.. 

With Freeze being the recruiter he is, I can see us moving closer to them in the next year or two.

I remember that LSU vs Alabama 2011 where LSU won 9-6 in the regular season and they played again that year for the Natty and Bama won 21-0. Close to 50 players from that game went on to be drafted. 

LSU was actually putting more players into the NFL than any other team for several years. Ohio State does now and LSU, Clemson, UGA and Bama are all right there together too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yngwie1995 said:

This! I always thought that stat about Saban (44 1st Round picks) was overrated. When you get more 4* and 5* players than everyone else, of course you're going to "get more people into the NFL" (and 1st Round). 

I'd love to see a couple of stats: 

1) What percentage of 1st Round picks were 4* and 5* players?

2) How many 4* and 5* players has Saban had at bama vs other teams (e.g. Auburn) during that same time period. Same goes with Kirby. 

There is a stat on one of these threads and College Gameday came on thursday and friday before the draft and they showed this same stat. It shows what schools have the best average of putting the 5 star players they get, into the NFL. The top 4 were Clemson, Ohio State, Alabama and Georgia.

The worst 4 were Texas, Oklahoma, Auburn and Tennessee.

So even when we do get 5 star players, we don't develop them to get drafted. 

Bird even showed a stat the other day that our last 13 commits that were 5 stars, 7 of them transferred to other schools and 1 (Michael Dyer) was kicked off our team. 

It only counted 5 star players that committed here straight from high school. So 5 star players like Cam, that transferred here, wouldn't count.

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

Well I have to say as a packers fan… that was unexpected. I guess he’s finally healed up from all the injuries?

Same here. After Colby was selected I told my son that we need to sign a kicker in the free agency. Then we go and draft one and it's Carlson. I hope he's ready to go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeamZero77 said:

There is a stat on one of these threads and College Gameday came on thursday and friday before the draft and they showed this same stat. It shows what schools have the best average of putting the 5 star players they get, into the NFL. The top 4 were Clemson, Ohio State, Alabama and Georgia.

The worst 4 were Texas, Oklahoma, Auburn and Tennessee.

So even when we do get 5 star players, we don't develop them to get drafted. 

Bird even showed a stat the other day that our last 13 commits that were 5 stars, 7 of them transferred to other schools and 1 (Michael Dyer) was kicked off our team. 

It only counted 5 star players that committed here straight from high school. So 5 star players like Cam, that transferred here, wouldn't count.

I remember seeing that thread about our last 13 5* commits. How many years did that span? If Dyer was one of them, then we're talking at least 2010. That's kinda pathetic. It's such a small number, though, to calculate a percentage off of. I'm not disagreeing, BTW. We've had some issues with 5* players transferring.

How many 5* players has bama had since 2010? 

Edited by yngwie1995

1 hour ago, yngwie1995 said:

I remember seeing that thread about our last 13 5* commits. How many years did that span? If Dyer was one of them, then we're talking at least 2010. That's kinda pathetic. It's such a small number, though, to calculate a percentage off of. I'm not disagreeing, BTW. We've had some issues with 5* players transferring.

I just looked it up and Nick Saban has signed 75 5 star players since his first class at Alabama. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, yngwie1995 said:

Alabama's current roster has 20 five stars and 49 four star players. 

Tbh, it's a miracle that we have beaten Alabama as much as we have. When you think about teams that have given Saban trouble, LSU, Clemson and Auburn are pretty much it. Look how loaded LSU and Clemson have been compared to our rosters. 

Tuberville, Chizik and Gus all beat Saban. Harsin should've beaten him in 2021. I think we will give Saban fits with Freeze as our HC. Especially when he gets this roster like he wants it. I just hope Saban is still around when we get right again. 

• Like 4

I’m happy for him because he gave AU all he had. Wish his time would have been more productive.

• Like 5

• Like 3

WOW 😮 

• Thanks 1

• Like 3

17 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

I saw a stat today that said in the history of the NFL Draft, Auburn has had 30 players selected in the 1st round.

Just during his time at Alabama, Nick Saban has had 44 players selected 1st round.

Just in the last 6 years, Kirby Smart has had 15 players selected in the 1st round.

As far as players getting drafted, it really feels like we've lost ground to UGA, Bama and LSU since Tuberville left. We were putting alot of players into the NFL during the Dye, Bowden and Tuberville era's.

Hoping this current staff can get us back to that.

Outside 2005 draft, since 2000 when have we had multiple 1st round picks?  Maybe an instance with 2 here and there? Cam/Nick?  Maybe a CB when Derrick Brown got drafted?

We seem to always have one 1st round type talent, some 2nd day talent, then a lot of fringe NFL guys that can still be really productive in college. That's been enough yo be successful when we have quality coaching and we aren't shooting ourselves in the foot.

Freeze can recruit well. Hopefully his coordinators can consistently scheme and adjust, our staff can develop... as long as Hugh stays pit of trouble we should ser an increase in top end talent into the draft and better consistency between seasons. Would be nice to have a run of 10 win seasons vs 10-8-6-10-7 etc

• Like 2

11 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Outside 2005 draft, since 2000 when have we had multiple 1st round picks?  Maybe an instance with 2 here and there? Cam/Nick?  Maybe a CB when Derrick Brown got drafted?

We seem to always have one 1st round type talent, some 2nd day talent, then a lot of fringe NFL guys that can still be really productive in college. That's been enough yo be successful when we have quality coaching and we aren't shooting ourselves in the foot.

Freeze can recruit well. Hopefully his coordinators can consistently scheme and adjust, our staff can develop... as long as Hugh stays pit of trouble we should ser an increase in top end talent into the draft and better consistency between seasons. Would be nice to have a run of 10 win seasons vs 10-8-6-10-7 etc

Yeah Cam and Nick in 2011, Derrick Brown and Noah Igbinoghene in 2020. I think our best 1st round ever was 2005 Draft Ronnie 2nd, Caddy 5th, Carlos Rogers 9th and Jason Campbell 25th. 

Edited by TeamZero77

48 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

Yeah Cam and Nick in 2011, Derrick Brown and Noah Igbinoghene in 2020. I think our best 1st round ever was 2005 Draft Ronnie 2nd, Caddy 5th, Carlos Rogers 10th and Jason Campbell 25th. 

Not that it matters much, but Rogers went 9th. 

Edited by yngwie1995
  • Thanks 1