Can we agree this deeply rooted in white supremacy?

I think when terms get broadened and overused they tend to lose their punch. Frankly, I think that’s been the case with the term “white supremacy” which has the unfortunate effect of desensitizing many folks to the practice itself. But can we all agree that in 2023 for Alabama to still be observing Jefferson Davis Day is way past it’s expiration date and deeply rooted in white Supremacy? Why can’t the state let this go?

https://www.al.com/news/2022/02/how-a-confederate-daughter-rewrote-alabama-history-for-white-supremacy.html

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 2

I’ve never understood observing any day for the Confederacy or its leaders. 

• Like 6
  • Facepalm 2

18 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I think when terms get broadened and overused they tend to lose their punch. Frankly, I think that’s been the case with the term “white supremacy” which has the unfortunate effect of desensitizing many folks to the practice itself. But can we all agree that in 2023 for Alabama to still be observing Jefferson Davis Day is way past it’s expiration date and deeply rooted in white Supremacy? Why can’t the state let this go?

https://www.al.com/news/2022/02/how-a-confederate-daughter-rewrote-alabama-history-for-white-supremacy.html

Yes.

It's been long overdue. Heck, even Jefferson Davis High School and Robert E. Lee high school in Montgomery have changed the names of the schools. Yet, still the state has this holiday.

I forget how long ago it was, but the state finally stopped budgeting some funds to the Confederate Memorial Park. Granted it wasn't a lot, but the point of them still giving funds outweighed the dollar amount.

The removal of the holiday should not be considered erasing history.

I would put the attempted preservation of of confederate era statues in the same category. The state tries to levy fines and court challenges if a statue is removed.

As long as it's a statue on public property, then there shouldn't be additional obstacles to remove it. For example, a lot of you may be familiar with the giant confederate flag that can be viewed on Interstate 65 near Clanton. When representative Alvin Holmes was alive, I believe him and a few others tried to have that flag removed. However, it was on private property.

The historic marker in downtown Montgomery where the confederate capital once stood, along with the documents at the Alabama Department of Archives should suffice. Yet, even then, as the article points out - the state keeps funding expansions of the Department of Archives to have more space for the confederacy.  This to me is clearly the state hiding behind the notion of 'showing history' in order to still glorify and celebrate it.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 2

17 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

votes

every single yearmartin luther king jr's holiday rolls around many folks say they prefer robert e lee or some civil war dude. my memory might failme but i do not remember it being jeff davis day.............

It wasn't too many years ago (2017-18) when I looked up the school calendar in my home county in AL to compare start/end dates for the year, and saw a reference to MLK Jr./Lee holiday in January. Have to admit I was taken aback...they have since changed that to just MLK. 

Private citizens/organizations are free to do what they want within applicable law to acknowledge that part of Alabama's history, but the state itself should not be spending any time, money or effort with it.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Auburn85 said:

Yes.

It's been long overdue. Heck, even Jefferson Davis High School and Robert E. Lee high school in Montgomery have changed the names of the schools. Yet, still the state has this holiday.

I forget how long ago it was, but the state finally stopped budgeting some funds to the Confederate Memorial Park. Granted it wasn't a lot, but the point of them still giving funds outweighed the dollar amount.

I would put the attempted preservation of of confederate era statues in the same category. The state tries to levy fines and court challenges if a statue is removed.

As long as it's a statue on public property, then there shouldn't be additional obstacles to remove it. For example, a lot of you may be familiar with the giant confederate flag that can be viewed on Interstate 65 near Clanton. When representative Alvin Holmes was alive, I believe him and a few others tried to have that flag removed. However, it was on private property.

The historic marker in downtown Montgomery where the confederate capital once stood, along with the documents at the Alabama Department of Archives should suffice. Yet, even then, as the article points out - the state keeps funding expansions of the Department of Archives to have more space for the confederacy.  This to me is clearly the state hiding behind the notion of 'showing history' in order to still glorify and celebrate it.

Drive down interstate 65 through Alabama and there will be 2 massive monuments you'll see. Confederate Battle Flags and Christian Crosses. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Drive down interstate 65 through Alabama and there will be 2 massive monuments you'll see. Confederate Battle Flags and Christian Crosses. 

You have a problem with the Christian crosses?

• Facepalm 1

See absolutely no need for Jefferson Davis Day.

I can get on board with removing this holiday but I don’t consider it white supremacy. I’m not for removing any monuments because the woke will go overboard with it again. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 2

27 minutes ago, alexava said:

I can get on board with removing this holiday but I don’t consider it white supremacy. I’m not for removing any monuments because the woke will go overboard with it again. 

What is the holiday rooted in?

• Facepalm 1

On 6/5/2023 at 4:13 PM, Auburn85 said:

Yes.

Was JD the first cross-dresser of the Confederacy? <EG>

https://www.americanheritage.com/was-jefferson-davis-captured-dress

12 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

My family has a game we play about counting Stars and Bars and trump flags on trips. He who counts the most wins dinner from the others, etc.

14 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Well that and “Go to Church or the Devil will get you!”

• Haha 1

Our country is deeply rooted in white supremacy, from manifest destiny to slavery.

We lack the honesty to acknowledge and, the humanity to apologize.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 4

On 6/6/2023 at 10:16 PM, alexava said:

You must live in Florence

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, alexava said:

Why do you say this 

From your posts I can tell you either live there are live close in the area. Or have lived in the area at one point. 

Have you lived in the North Alabama area?

Edited by cole256

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

From your posts I can tell you either live there are live close in the area. Or have lived in the area at one point. 

Have you lived in the North Alabama area?

Limestone county 

4 hours ago, alexava said:

Limestone county 

That's Athens area right? See? People can hate me all they want but they can't say Cole is a dummy. 

So you don't think it's a problem the kids up there a little past Lawrenceburg have to go to a school named after a freaking grand wizard of the kkk. People celebrate this man like he's really some kind of honorable hero.

But I actually made a post about stuff like this, IMO that's why many of you are so against anything being racist, it would mean that some would have to admit some people they admire and love were horrible people and they won't do that

• Like 1