AU accused of offering Taulia Tagovailoa $1.5 mil

NCTiger1982

And like clockwork AL Capone University wants to throw out accusations after being embarrassed on the recruiting trail. It makes complete sense that we would offer 1.5mil to a QB that could not cut it in the SEC to be our savior. They are desperate. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I mean, we probably did. Hopefully did it under the correct communication methods.  Hugh surely has learned about that from his past issues.

Don't write anything down. (Twitter/Liberty)

Don't use electronic communication (Twitter/Liberty)

Don't use school provided devices (Ole Miss)

Gotta assume he's learned

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, NCTiger1982 said:

And like clockwork AL Capone University wants to throw out accusations after being embarrassed on the recruiting trail. It makes complete sense that we would offer 1.5mil to a QB that could not cut it in the SEC to be our savior. They are desperate. 

I read the article on ALdotcom about Talia, but didn’t see any mention or hint that Auburn was the school that offered him $1.5 million.  Perhaps you saw a different article.  Could you please provide a link to that article?  I would like to read it.  Thanks. 

WE!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

I read the article on ALdotcom about Talia, but didn’t see any mention or hint that Auburn was the school that offered him $1.5 million.  Perhaps you saw a different article.  Could you please provide a link to that article?  I would like to read it.  Thanks. 

WE!

al.com

Taulia Tagovailoa says SEC school offered ‘crazy’ $1.5 million to transfer; QB sought Tua’s advice

Updated: Jul. 28, 2023, 8:14 p.m.|Published: Jul. 28, 2023, 7:50 p.m.

2–3 minutes

Maryland quarterback Taulia Tagovailoa (3) is pressured by Michigan State defensive end Jacub Panasiuk (96) and linebacker Itayvion Brown (19) during the second half of an NCAA college football game, Saturday, Nov. 13, 2021, in East Lansing, Mich. (AP Photo/Carlos Osorio)AP

Taulia Tagovailoa revealed this week during Big Ten media days that an SEC school offered him $1.5 million to transfer.

The Maryland quarterback called it “crazy money” when talking about being wanted through the transfer portal.

“It can be eye-opening, but I think for my situation — if I was in a different situation where maybe I didn’t have a brother in the NFL or maybe my parents, it’d be a different situation,” Tagovailoa said, per The Athletic.

According to the report, Tagovailoa consulted Miami Dolphins quarterback and brother Tua Tagovailoa, who asked him what he wanted to do. The younger Tagovailoa said current relationships outweighed financial incentives.

“It would be hard for me to go to another place and not be happy but have all the money in the world,” he said. “(I’d rather) be at a place where maybe I don’t have as much, but I’m happy and I’m here to work.”

Taulia Tagovailoa started at Alabama but transferred to Maryland after one season where he earned the starting job. He now has Maryland career records for passing yards (7,879) and passing touchdowns (51).

Mark Heim is a reporter for The Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Mark_Heim. He can be heard on “The Opening Kickoff” on WNSP-FM 105.5 FM in Mobile or on the free Sound of Mobile App from 6 to 9 a.m. daily.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. By browsing this site, we may share your information with our social media partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

Yep, very misleading and offering a bitter rival’s brother money is comical. A much better story would be tracking down the money source moving Tua’s family from Hawaii to the US ? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I’m very opposed to buying mercenaries.  I want us to build a team with guys who will fight for each other.  (guess some could be both but the exception)

if it was us then can’t argue the perception if little tag playing for the enemies- not to mention we were in the market - and at least people are trying to make us good again.  I don’t know why this would seem like any kind of dig at us.

Even if it was us as long as done properly via NIL there is nothing wrong. That said I doubt it was Auburn.

I saw the article but honestly would not be shocked if it was Bama that offered him that $$$$ to transfer.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

They also need to clarify that he started his college career at Bama but unless I missed it he never started at Bama.

• ellitor changed the title to AU accused of offering Taulia Tagovailoa $1.5 mil

If this actually happened, is there really any doubt that the offer would’ve come from TAMU? This is their MO, not ours.

I get that blaming it on AU probably makes the Perry flip feel better but this doesn’t fit.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, WarDamnDoc said:

This is their MO, not ours.

We were throwing money at any QB that would listen. Plenty of Tampering on the DL to get QBs to enter the portal

13 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

We were throwing money at any QB that would listen

Best Almost Not Quite GIFs | Gfycat

Not really. We went after Leary, McCall, Talia, Morris, & Thorne. While 5 is some (I may have missed 1 or 2), it's definitely not "any QB that would listen". And as has been said countless times we weren't gonna pay what UK did for Leary.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Best Almost Not Quite GIFs | Gfycat

Not really. We went after Leary, McCall, Talia, Morris, & Thorne. While 5 is some (I may have missed 1 or 2), it's definitely not "any QB that would listen". And as has been said countless times we weren't gonna pay what UK did for Leary.

One pec, we didn't pursue after evaluating 

Writes in Crayon

Overpriced 

Had to back off after Hoke 

Identified and secured 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Best Almost Not Quite GIFs | GfycatNot really. We went after Leary, McCall, Talia, Morris, & Thorne. 

That's who we went after publicly 

That's how you know they're worried. It's like clockwork and has been my whole life. Auburn succeeds and all the sudden cheating accusations come from no where lol. Don't forget, Cam Newton was a non-issue until Auburn won and became THE threat. Auburn basketball was a non-issue until we won the SEC. It's every time and it's tired.

Their biggest issue is they can't threaten a family's livelihood to force their teenage son to do their bidding now that we have an established NIL collective. Make no mistake, the REC has threatened many jobs in order to secure recruits from the state of Alabama. Can't do it anymore because their son is earning enough to cover the loss PLUS some. 

I've tried to be nice over the years when it comes to recruiting, but I've seen nasty, illegal stuff from other schools in the SEC and out. They've lost the sole advantage they got away with for literal decades and now they're ass chapped about it. 

Players at Alabama have had paperwork submitted to the NCAA showing them driving $60000 vehicles registered in the name of listed athletic boosters and nothing was done. I almost hope we offered him $1.5 million just to piss off Saban and Alabama fans. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

That's how you know they're worried. It's like clockwork and has been my whole life. Auburn succeeds and all the sudden cheating accusations come from no where lol. Don't forget, Cam Newton was a non-issue until Auburn won and became THE threat. Auburn basketball was a non-issue until we won the SEC. It's every time and it's tired.

Their biggest issue is they can't threaten a family's livelihood to force their teenage son to do their bidding now that we have an established NIL collective. Make no mistake, the REC has threatened many jobs in order to secure recruits from the state of Alabama. Can't do it anymore because their son is earning enough to cover the loss PLUS some. 

I've tried to be nice over the years when it comes to recruiting, but I've seen nasty, illegal stuff from other schools in the SEC and out. They've lost the sole advantage they got away with for literal decades and now they're ass chapped about it. 

Players at Alabama have had paperwork submitted to the NCAA showing them driving $60000 vehicles registered in the name of listed athletic boosters and nothing was done. I almost hope we offered him $1.5 million just to piss off Saban and Alabama fans. 

Either win the recruiting battle or make them pay so much that they can't get everyone.

I don’t see anywhere that it says we offered him 1.5 million, just an SEC school. I am not so sure I am buying it either. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don’t see anywhere that it says we offered him 1.5 million, just an SEC school. I am not so sure I am buying it either. 

I could see A&M offering it because this year is win or get out for Jimbo. Not too many schools looking to hire a coach that tanked 2 programs back to back.

Just now, JuscAUse! said:

So you know we did. Who told you?

Yes. Insiders. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, JuscAUse! said:

I do appreciate that. And ......

I don't believe you.

But it was funny.

I don't think he'd like his DMs posted publicly, but do you