Why the 2024 Class Matters

Zeek

I’m not sure what our record will be this season, but I’m confident that Hugh will put an exciting Tiger team on the field and recruits will want to come in 2024. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

I’m not sure what our record will be this season, but I’m confident that Hugh will put an exciting Tiger team on the field and recruits will want to come in 2024. 

I just want to see AU football. Carnell knows what it looks like and HF must , cause he kept him. That translates as 'win, lose, or draw, you do not want to do this again. If you are the opponent. 

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 1:20 PM, Zeek said:

Quarterback - Thorne could declare early and/or at least one of Ashford/Geriner/Brown could transfer out

Running Back - Hunter could declare early and our bubble guys like Jackson and Jones could dip out.

Wide Receiver - Ja'Varrius, Mardner, Hooks, and Shorter will all graduate. Moore and Malcolm could realistically transfer if they don't get a lot of reps this year.

Tight End - Deal, Fromm, and Frazier will graduate. Fairweather could legitimately declare early for the NFL.

Offensive Line - Irvin, Britton, Stutts, and Jones are all graduating. Wade is legitimately a possible early exit candidate. 

Defensive Line - Mosiah Nasili-Kite, Marcus Harris, and Lawrence Johnson will all graduate. Justin Rogers needs to step up or we might part ways, Zykeivous Walker could easily walk if he doesn't see a decent amount of time, and we already need more talent here.

Jack - Elijah McAllister will graduate. Sings and McLeod will both hopefully return for their senior years.

Linebacker - We lose Nixon III, Steiner, and Levant. Gordon might not be an SEC talent and Woodyard could transfer if he doesn't see the field much.

Cornerback- Pritchett, James, Hart, and Simpson are all gone. Scott could legitimately end up jumping to the NFL early with a good enough season. 

Safety - Puckett is gone. We return a lot of talent here. I could see Gilbert possibly dipping out.

LS & K - Reed and McPherson will still be here

P - we need to replace the graduating Chapman

It's helpful to keep turnover in mind, but there are a LOT of unknowns on this list. For example, at Safety, both Simp and Zion redshirted in 2019. Both guys graduate this year, but due to Covid, both guys have the option of returning next year. They have effectively played 21, 22, and this year. TBD on what they will do. At DL, Marcus Harris is in the same boat. Same for Steiner at LB. Same thing for Luke Deal, Tyler Fromm, and Brandon Frazier at TE (meaning, you may not lose anyone from that room). Same for Javy at WR.

All that to say, Covid is still playing havoc with roster management. We honestly won't even know what holes we need to fill until after meeting with guys after the season to see what they plan to do. We're going to hit the portal hard again, but I doubt it'll be quite the numbers we saw this year.

• Like 3