Why the 2024 Class Matters

Zeek

Quarterback - Thorne could declare early and/or at least one of Ashford/Geriner/Brown could transfer out

Running Back - Hunter could declare early and our bubble guys like Jackson and Jones could dip out.

Wide Receiver - Ja'Varrius, Mardner, Hooks, and Shorter will all graduate. Moore and Malcolm could realistically transfer if they don't get a lot of reps this year.

Tight End - Deal, Fromm, and Frazier will graduate. Fairweather could legitimately declare early for the NFL.

Offensive Line - Irvin, Britton, Stutts, and Jones are all graduating. Wade is legitimately a possible early exit candidate. 

Defensive Line - Mosiah Nasili-Kite, Marcus Harris, and Lawrence Johnson will all graduate. Justin Rogers needs to step up or we might part ways, Zykeivous Walker could easily walk if he doesn't see a decent amount of time, and we already need more talent here.

Jack - Elijah McAllister will graduate. Sings and McLeod will both hopefully return for their senior years.

Linebacker - We lose Nixon III, Steiner, and Levant. Gordon might not be an SEC talent and Woodyard could transfer if he doesn't see the field much.

Cornerback- Pritchett, James, Hart, and Simpson are all gone. Scott could legitimately end up jumping to the NFL early with a good enough season. 

Safety - Puckett is gone. We return a lot of talent here. I could see Gilbert possibly dipping out.

LS & K - Reed and McPherson will still be here

P - we need to replace the graduating Chapman

The roster management and recruiting are going to be interesting. Obviously, not all of the people mentioned will transfer but the coaches undoubtedly are keeping their ears to the ground. Losing 4 of our starting OL is going to be tough. Then we have to make sure we get the DL and LBs to a better spot as well. The huge loss of receivers will also be interesting to navigate. I expect another strong transfer class before we start to balance things out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Zeek said:

Quarterback - Thorne could declare early and/or at least one of Ashford/Geriner/Brown could transfer out

Running Back - Hunter could declare early and our bubble guys like Jackson and Jones could dip out.

Wide Receiver - Ja'Varrius, Mardner, Hooks, and Shorter will all graduate. Moore and Malcolm could realistically transfer if they don't get a lot of reps this year.

Tight End - Deal, Fromm, and Frazier will graduate. Fairweather could legitimately declare early for the NFL.

Offensive Line - Irvin, Britton, Stutts, and Jones are all graduating. Wade is legitimately a possible early exit candidate. 

Defensive Line - Mosiah Nasili-Kite, Marcus Harris, and Lawrence Johnson will all graduate. Justin Rogers needs to step up or we might part ways, Zykeivous Walker could easily walk if he doesn't see a decent amount of time, and we already need more talent here.

Jack - Elijah McAllister will graduate. Sings and McLeod will both hopefully return for their senior years.

Linebacker - We lose Nixon III, Steiner, and Levant. Gordon might not be an SEC talent and Woodyard could transfer if he doesn't see the field much.

Cornerback- Pritchett, James, Hart, and Simpson are all gone. Scott could legitimately end up jumping to the NFL early with a good enough season. 

Safety - Puckett is gone. We return a lot of talent here. I could see Gilbert possibly dipping out.

The roster management and recruiting are going to be interesting. Obviously, not all of the people mentioned will transfer but the coaches undoubtedly are keeping their ears to the ground. Losing 4 of our starting OL is going to be tough. Then we have to make sure we get the DL and LBs to a better spot as well. The huge loss of receivers will also be interesting to navigate. I expect another strong transfer class before we start to balance things out.

We HAVE to be in a position for Year 2 to be better for this year to be considered a success IMO.

Edited by AUwent

I think Marcus Harris is technically a Jr bc 2020 at Kansas doesn't count.

But we'll be deep unto the portal again at certain positions. 

Hunter is probably the only early entry I see on the roster

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zeek said:

Going to have to get the big dawgs early then .

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

Going to have to get the big dawgs early then .

Does this mean transfers? I just don't want everyone still expecting 6-6 AGAIN next year.

Edited by AUwent

3 hours ago, AUwent said:

We HAVE to be in a position for Year 2 to be better for this year to be considered a success IMO.

If we do as the oddsmakers expect, I just can't see us having that many early draft entrants? Thank god "proof of concept" isn't actually a thing.

I think Thorne stays because it’s actually a pretty deep QB class in this upcoming draft.

Jarquez I just don’t know. If we’re trying to bring in two 2024 RBs it kind of tells you someone is expected to leave.

Maybe some of the OL and WRs have a bonus year. 

As for Marcus Harris I lose their grade based on Auburn’s roster.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I think Thorne stays because it’s actually a pretty deep QB class in this upcoming draft.

Jarquez I just don’t know. If we’re trying to bring in two 2024 RBs it kind of tells you someone is expected to leave.

Maybe some of the OL and WRs have a bonus year. 

As for Marcus Harris I lose their grade based on Auburn’s roster.

Yeah if anyone besides Hunter declares early it needs to be because we have outperformed expectations. I just think it's safe to assume we do as expected, which is a team at the beginning of a process. 🤷‍♂️ The thing about processes is there tends to be some legit improvement over time.

Edited by AUwent

6 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Does this mean transfers? I just don't want everyone still expecting 6-6 AGAIN next year.

Yes the legit transfers, we can’t afford to let the prime transfers escape if that is the case. 

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Yeah if anyone besides Hunter declares early we would likely have outperformed expectations. I just think it's safe to assume we do as expected, which is a team at the beginning of a process. 🤷‍♂️ The thing about processes is there tends to be some legit improvement over time.

Fairweather and Scott are legitimate possibilities. 

• Like 2

Basically, I'm sick to death of AGAIN going into a coach's first year and looking like by the end of the year the forecast for the second year being 6-6. I'm not asking for a championship run in Year 2 but I do expect some improvement--and yes, I mean in the record. I know that this time around we should have a better recruiting class coming in but still.

Don't forget that next year may be the most favorable schedule we have, since Cal is getting replaced with Baylor afterwards. You look at how Florida is currently predicted to be <7 wins for both this year and next (after two straight 6-7 seasons)...can we avoid that?

(At least part of my ranting is because I had a bit of a rough day. I had been feeling more optimistic for the last month, up til today.)

Edited by AUwent
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Zeek said:

Sounds kinda bleak to me

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Sounds kinda bleak to me

Yeah, I get that it's a brave new world with the TP but can we please have a rebuilding year where we're better positioned for the next? Please? Seeing the depth chart two years ago and realizing we were going to need a miracle first season to have long term success was an incredibly sinking feeling. Want some of the freshmen to become starters by year's end!

Edited by AUwent

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

@AUwent Yes transfers to a good extent. We've been saying this for months. And barring injury nobody should be expecting 6-6 this year or next year. Lastly, taking a good number of transfers does not necessarily equate to a 6-6 season next year.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

looking like by the end of the year the forecast for the second year being 6-6

Again barring an injury rash I can only see that projection from any pessimists on the board.

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

I'm not asking for a championship run in Year 2 but I do expect some improvement--and yes, I mean in the record.

FWIW I have us at least flirting with the top 12, aka a playoff spot, in 2024. 

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Don't forget that next year may be the most favorable schedule we have, since Cal is getting replaced with Baylor afterwards. You look at how Florida is currently predicted to be <7 wins for both this year and next (after two straight 6-7 seasons)...can we avoid that?

Next year's schedyle will be tougher than this year's. Bama & UGA on the road, pick up OU. Not sure what Florida has to do with anything since we don't play them but they will be better than what you are projecting.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Sounds kinda bleak to me

I look at Zeek's post as a worst case scenario. I wouldn't sweat it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Again barring an injury rash I can only see that projection from any pessimists on the board.

FWIW I have us at least flirting with the top 12, aka a playoff spot, in 2024. 

Next year's schedyle will be tougher than this year's. Bama & UGA on the road, pick up OU. Not sure what Florida has to do with anything since we don't play them but they will be better than what you are projecting.

Pretty much all pundits are projecting 6-6 this year. I know I know everyone hates on the pundits but I view it as the equivalent of saying "educate yourself." So it sucks big time if this is the most favorable schedule we're ever going to have...I guess my rationale is that since no one is giving us much of a chance against the Big Two at home anyway and we're just swapping out LSU for Oklahoma--with road games at Missouri and Kentucky (Leary will be gone), I had hoped we could improve by at least a game. It's by far our most favorable even year schedule since A&M and Missouri joined--some of that has to do with playing Cal of course. 2025 and 6 we play Baylor, so who knows about that. I don't think we'll have the toughest every year anymore going forward, at least.

Edited by AUwent

12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I look at Zeek's post as a worst case scenario. I wouldn't sweat it.

Yup it’s just how I’d approach it as a coach. You have to recruit your current guys too. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Pretty much all pundits are projecting 6-6 this year.

By pundits I assume you mean national guys? The usually get us wrong & don't know much about us.

8 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I had hoped we could improve by at least a game.

We wil because the talent we have will be better developed and the recruits and transfers we bring in will upgrade the roster even more. Rosters aren't static my friend, especially in today's college football.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, AUwent said:

Basically, I'm sick to death of AGAIN going into a coach's first year and looking like by the end of the year the forecast for the second year being 6-6. I'm not asking for a championship run in Year 2 but I do expect some improvement--and yes, I mean in the record. I know that this time around we should have a better recruiting class coming in but still.

(At least part of my ranting is because I had a bit of a rough day. I had been feeling more optimistic for the last month, up til today.)

You are the dark cloud of this message board that hangs over every thread with your constant pessimism and negativity. Lighten TF up. Everyone is excited and looking forward to the season and you just have to constantly be a wet blanket.

Why are you worried? This coaching staff has already shown they can recruit the hell out of the transfer portal with barely any time spent on the job. That should give you confidence they can do so again whenever it’s deemed necessary to plug holes in the roster.

IMG_5124.gif

IMG_5125.gif

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, Zeek said:

You list Hart as a cornerback that will be gone. He’s a TFr. Is that accurate and if so what happened there?

10 hours ago, AUwent said:

Pretty much all pundits are projecting 6-6 this year. I know I know everyone hates on the pundits but I view it as the equivalent of saying "educate yourself." So it sucks big time if this is the most favorable schedule we're ever going to have...I guess my rationale is that since no one is giving us much of a chance against the Big Two at home anyway and we're just swapping out LSU for Oklahoma--with road games at Missouri and Kentucky (Leary will be gone), I had hoped we could improve by at least a game. It's by far our most favorable even year schedule since A&M and Missouri joined--some of that has to do with playing Cal of course. 2025 and 6 we play Baylor, so who knows about that. I don't think we'll have the toughest every year anymore going forward, at least.

In the AU Family, we have folks that see the glass half full and some that see the glass as half empty . 

And then we have a few that obviously don't own a glass.

🤦 

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

By pundits I assume you mean national guys? The usually get us wrong & don't know much about us.

We wil because the talent we have will be better developed and the recruits and transfers we bring in will upgrade the roster even more. Rosters aren't static my friend, especially in today's college football.

Not being static is true statement. We won’t know who we will lose either.

• Like 1