Post Cal Game Reset. Don’t Panic.

passthebiscuits

3 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I agree 100%. I just want us to roll with one QB and let him get a rhythm. Running QBs in and out simply doesn't help an offense that is struggling.  

Facts. Thorne finally put up a good drive once they let him get into a rhythm 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Agree on the 1 QB. I think it doesn’t help us much to roll Robbie in there if he can’t throw. So, I go Thorne and take my chances. That said….work in progress. Looked like our receivers weren’t getting a ton of separation either. Whole offense looked rattled for 3.75 quarters. Definitely many many things to improve upon. Just hoping we don’t jump ship at the first sign of waves. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

A very ugly win, but a win none the less.

Hopefully we learn from this one. Saw some really good halftime adjustments tho. I thought we would lose this one, so I’ll take the win. 

Obviously, you see what I’m saying about not being world-beaters this year. But y’all…the team we had on paper before Freeze would have been run out of that stadium. 

I remember back to 2010 when we won it all, and we had a very ugly win at home against Miss State and a very ugly win at Kentucky. Sometimes I think we get pretty short sided. 

Also, if we win 37-33 people would probably give us grief about our defense. I dunno. I just think there’s way too much positive with our program right now to do what we usually do and go off the rails.

Final thought. Please please please Auburn people, don’t lose your grip on reality. We traveled out to California with a brand new football team and beat a team with a pulse. We are moving in a positive direction in all areas. Let’s celebrate this program and a win! For the love, just keep heading forward! WDE! 

I’ll say I’m very concerned with offensive gameplay and play calling. If they had no idea Thorne was gonna get the yips… 

• Like 2

Robby cannot be QB1. Teams load the box and we are done. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Didba said:

Robby cannot be QB1. Teams load the box and we are done. 

Play calling was bad tonight though. Didn’t give him a chance to throw it really. 

• Like 2

Let’s call this what it was. The coaches missed on the offensive game plans. Robby should play. But he got too many snaps tonight, and it stopped Thorne from rally having a chance to get in rhythm.  Play calling with Robby was very vanilla. Hopefully the coaches get it straighted out by A&M 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ScotsAU said:

Let’s call this what it was. The coaches missed on the offensive game plans. Robby should play. But he got too many snaps tonight, and it stopped Thorne from rally having a chance to get in rhythm.  Play calling with Robby was very vanilla. Hopefully the coaches get it straighted out by A&M 

And then Robby finally throws the ball and it’s immediately picked. 

• Facepalm 1

Either Auburn doesn’t have a Qb or WRs.  Too many horizontal runs.  Defense may actually be the strength of this team.  Shocked with the lack of running game.  Oline didn’t get a lot of push but that may have been from Cal loading the box.  Glad to get out with a W.

11 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Play calling was bad tonight though. Didn’t give him a chance to throw it really. 

He did have a chance, and thank goodness the Cal defender had stone hands or the game would have ended differently.   Don’t get me wrong, I like Robby, but he had the same issue with trying to force throws last season too.   

As CHF said after the game - he’ll take the win, and then be hard on them come Monday.  Still have some growing to do, and this game can be built off of.  

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

He didn't throw any picks in this game.

I stand corrected, my brain is quickly trying to erase what was witnessed tonight. Maybe it was just a horrible pass, or nearly picked. I can’t remember, but it was something not good. 

• Like 2

Just now, ShocksMyBrain said:

I stand corrected, my brain is quickly trying to erase what was witnessed tonight. Maybe it was just a horrible pass, or nearly picked. I can’t remember, but it was something not good. 

He went for 1/3 in the game although two incompletions could certainly almost be counted as an interception. I was hoping for a better passing attack, though.

• Like 2

My strategy of a mid afternoon nap is coming back to but me in the arse.   3:00 (EST) and now I can’t sleep, and I usually get up at 4:30 - ouch….

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This running with the QBs is complete bull.. Thorne can also hand the ball off. Bringing Robby to do that is a waste. Throw the slant out of the ball. 

We won but they missed 3 FGs. Lots of questions for Freeze. Also stop the puns now.. Glad Jarquez is back

Edited by Randman5000
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I agree 100%. I just want us to roll with one QB and let him get a rhythm. Running QBs in and out simply doesn't help an offense that is struggling.  

I wish it is not  the question at the end of the yr 

I don’t think it’s many folks left that are of the “they’re saving the Robby passes for the harder games” mindset. Majority of us just have to agree that they’re bringing him in there with the thought that it’ll free the run game, which simply will not work with any consistent success if the guy throws 5 or less times with the amount of snaps he gets.

I don’t know if Payton will be good enough as a passer to let them just be a traditional downhill running attack without Robbie, and I don’t know if it’s worth it to play Robbie if this is how they’ll use him. I did think it was coach speak by Freeze, but it is increasingly evident they eventually went back and forth and didn’t land on a particularly great spot when it came to the QB race. 

That being said I’m not particularly down on the team and we’re still on track to be about where I expected us to be this season

• Like 1