Post Cal Game Reset. Don’t Panic.

passthebiscuits

1 hour ago, tbone4jc said:

The defense was outstanding! Special teams was average. The offense was ugly. 4 turnovers( could have been at least 6) I am going to say this with all the respect I can. That was an awful offensive game plan from beginning to end. There were a few good plays here and there, Fairweather is a beast, but way too many bad calls, mistakes, etc… Cal lost that game because of 3 missed field goals and a fortunate whistle that prevented that first TD by Cal.(13 points left on the field) and our defense stopping them on 4th down in the red zone. That defense was outstanding!! Need some serious evaluation on everything offense, including coaches

i think Assante wins some kind of player of the week award. he was a beast and last year he was on the scout team. some cat said that was the most dominating performance by a linebacker at auburn in quite a few years. that is some serious praise.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, CR said:

This game showed exactly why last week they shouldve turned Thorne loose and threw the damn ball before going on the road. He looked scared to death tonight. After playing at Mich St I didnt expect him to look so ovwerwhelmed. And Id be happy if Alston was RB1 over Hunter. The talk on Alston being much improved looks legit.

+1 for Alston over Hunter.

Good on the D. Really good on the D. Good on Thorne for the drive that ultimately was the winner. I'd say good on the RBs for some good runs when they got the chance, except fumbles by both Jarquez & Damari really hurt. So, there were some positives. But the O-line... I've seen this movie before, didn't like it then, & didn't like it last night. I've heard so much about them being really improved, so I'm not going to despair yet. But I was surely disappointed in their play. As I was in the playcalling. I didn't see much in the way of creativity or of putting our playmakers in spots to make plays. But maybe the O-line was the primary problem there. I am not panicking. I think we'll improve as the "newness" becomes less new. I hope...

My sense, is when SEC D’s see Robbie come in, they’ll know how to stop him unless he’s going to have the full playbook. And I don’t know if he can operate the whole playbook.

• Like 2

That was an ugly game aside from defensive bright spots (Assante was beastmode). Tons of room for improvement. 

Also, PTB... please no more 10:30 eastern kickoffs. Thats way too late and I feel like shite today.

• Like 1

38 rushing attempts

17 passing attempts. 

It was evident that we couldnt run the ball with 8 in the box. The stubbornness of the coach not to adjust the game plan is what concerns me most.

I get that we thought we were going to go round and pound our way to a victory. But when it was not working for an entire half why come back out with the same game plan. That's what they did

2 minutes ago, madkat7 said:

That was an ugly game aside from defensive bright spots (Assante was beastmode). Tons of room for improvement. 

Also, PTB... please no more 10:30 eastern kickoffs. Thats way too late and I feel like shite today.

I think the Pac12 is largely responsible for negotiating that horrible time slot for its teams' home games.

Edited by Dom1ni0n

My ‘ifs and buts’: if we don’t fumble like we did last night then we win big.  When JH and DA fumbled, we were starting to build momentum.  Maybe our team chemistry still incubating and having to play as late as we did affected our focus

Defense took some steps forward, offense took plenty of steps backwards.  Were designed runs for Thorne apart of the early script on offense?  We had what felt like several of those in succession on a couple drives.  Those can be scrapped.  

Media highlights about how turnovers killed Cal, but they were almost equally as costly for AU. 

Not as disciplined as last week when it comes to penalty yardage.

Plenty to work on this week.

7 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

A very ugly win, but a win none the less.

Hopefully we learn from this one. Saw some really good halftime adjustments tho. I thought we would lose this one, so I’ll take the win. 

Obviously, you see what I’m saying about not being world-beaters this year. But y’all…the team we had on paper before Freeze would have been run out of that stadium. 

I remember back to 2010 when we won it all, and we had a very ugly win at home against Miss State and a very ugly win at Kentucky. Sometimes I think we get pretty short sided. 

Also, if we win 37-33 people would probably give us grief about our defense. I dunno. I just think there’s way too much positive with our program right now to do what we usually do and go off the rails.

Final thought. Please please please Auburn people, don’t lose your grip on reality. We traveled out to California with a brand new football team and beat a team with a pulse. We are moving in a positive direction in all areas. Let’s celebrate this program and a win! For the love, just keep heading forward! WDE! 

I am trying Ringo, trying real hard. 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Dom1ni0n said:

I think the Pac12 is largely responsible for negotiating that horrible time slot for its teams' home games.

I think time zone does some of that negotiating.

While I don't think it's time for full blown panic mode (some concern is warranted, though), everyone doing MMWs about 9-10 win seasons need to bring those expectations down to earth. We should be aiming to make a bowl, and if we can win 7 games somehow, icing. I'm now not so sure we can split the Arky, Ole Miss, A&M, and MSST anymore. Call me nuts, Vandy isn't going to be a cakewalk for us. We def lose to LSU, UGA, and probably Bama.

I predict 6-6, beating MSST, Vandy, NMST, and Samford.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

While I don't think it's time for full blown panic mode (some concern is warranted, though), everyone doing MMWs about 9-10 win seasons need to bring those expectations down to earth. We should be aiming to make a bowl, and if we can win 7 games somehow, icing. I'm now not so sure we can split the Arky, Ole Miss, A&M, and MSST anymore. Call me nuts, Vandy isn't going to be a cakewalk for us. We def lose to LSU, UGA, and probably Bama.

I predict 6-6, beating MSST, Vandy, NMST, and Samford.

I still think we shock the world— 7 wins.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AUnMS said:

My ‘ifs and buts’: if we don’t fumble like we did last night then we win big.  When JH and DA fumbled, we were starting to build momentum.  Maybe our team chemistry still incubating and having to play as late as we did affected our focus

I agree. If we protect the ball last night, I don’t think Cal keeps up with us. We clearly seemed to be in our own way/heads last night, and were the superior team if we played a clean game.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chuck4334 said:

Both QBs only look to one side to throw. This team is in trouble if this is not fixed

I actually think this might be by design. I believe I was watching a Liberty game with Malik Willis at one point and the play by play analyst was saying that part of Freeze's strategy with QBs was to design plays where they only had to think about one side of the field at a time. 

I remember hearing it and thinking that would never work long term in a bigger conference. One of my hesitancies with hiring Freeze was based solely on this comment and that maybe his concepts may be too basic (i.e. Gus 2.0).

Not sure if the comment is accurate, but it stuck with me and then I thought about it once you brought it up. Hope this isn't the case.

Tĥe good news is many of the offensive problems were a result of terrible play calls.

Tĥe bad news is many of the offensive problems were a result of terrible play calls.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

I'No but he did try.  The late throw towards the MoF certainly should've been picked and will be against SEC DBs. Fair or not, I'm terrified when Robbie runs because I think he's going to fumble but I'm equally scared when he attempts a pass. 

JFIII 2.0

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

My sense, is when SEC D’s see Robbie come in, they’ll know how to stop him unless he’s going to have the full playbook. And I don’t know if he can operate the whole playbook.

They would have known how to stop him after his first run vs UMass. 

• Like 1

Of course better teams know how to stop RA. He is a quality athlete but no superb. Some of y’all were even comparing him to pearcy Harvin. The only way for him to get the best out of his god given athleticism is to be a competent passer. 

In the recent past we’ve played for 2 National Titles. Right now we have starters/key depth from Kansas, Vandy, Purdue, Jackson St, North Texas, East Carolina, Tulsa, Western Kentucky, JUCO, Fl International, etc….Having a couple of starters from that level is one thing. Having that many in the SEC is what you saw last night. We’re in for a roller coaster ride for the next couple of seasons. Nothing short of consistent Top 10 recruiting will get us where we want to be.

• Like 3