Post Cal Game Reset. Don’t Panic.

passthebiscuits

49 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

I understand that we aren’t world-beaters. I guess I’m just still shook that so many of our fam base are writing us off or worse, going to sabotage the recruiting efforts we have going right now. Look, our focus is next year already. We just want to field a competitive team this year. The roster we had would have been boatraced yesterday. 

can’t believe even my locked on guys are losing their minds over this game. We need to have some patience. 

This rationale was used before the season by some of the same people losing their minds, but for me, it isn’t changed. These recruits should look at our QB, DL play, and think of them as BBQ chicken. They shouldn’t be scared away bc the guys that they know they’re better than aren’t good. And I’m pretty sure the same pitch (maybe not that blunt) is being made to the Perrys, Riddicks, etc

• Like 2

Virtually no vertical passing attempts, frantically swapping qbs, constant misfires.  It looked like a very very  simple offense - in total chaos.  Initially I thought the fixation on the time zone thing sounded whiney (all sports have to do it), now Im hoping it somehow caused it. 

• Like 2

Some of you are ready for Ashford to stop getting packages. Factoring in his play vs all the off field drama I have heard about, I'm ready for Ashford to be off the team.

Edited by KansasTiger
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, CR said:

This game showed exactly why last week they shouldve turned Thorne loose and threw the damn ball before going on the road. He looked scared to death tonight. After playing at Mich St I didnt expect him to look so ovwerwhelmed. And Id be happy if Alston was RB1 over Hunter. The talk on Alston being much improved looks legit.

Agreed. CHF needs to spend this practice week and Sat game putting Thorne and our offense to work hard on opening the passing and running game.

I believe he is hurting the offense by seemingly trying to keep Robbie pacified. We need game reps for QB1 Thorne and take Robbie off his mind right now.

And I agree with you on Alston.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, passthebiscuits said:

I understand that we aren’t world-beaters. I guess I’m just still shook that so many of our fam base are writing us off or worse, going to sabotage the recruiting efforts we have going right now. Look, our focus is next year already. We just want to field a competitive team this year. The roster we had would have been boatraced yesterday. 

can’t believe even my locked on guys are losing their minds over this game. We need to have some patience. 

I agree in the world of betting this was a situational game. Based on past history nothing was in Auburns favor. I feel pretty confident there will not be another game this year like this. If so I will gladly come back and own it

As bad as we looked,(and we looked pretty bad) it's a lot easier to go back to work and get better after a win. If Harsin was still head coach Auburn would have been blown out by the half. In other words, a win is a win. Just learn from it.  :wareagle:

• Like 1

Robby with a Y  not sure why people can’t spell his name correctly  

..and people are saying he needs to throw the ball. Did you watch him throw the ball last night? When he does, it is a disaster waiting to happen. Put him at WR. It is obvious we need playmakers at other positions and he is an elite athlete - just Not a qb. . Maybe he can get open. 
Reminds me of all of the people that said Gatewood should play QB. He is finally at the right position after five years and 3 teams - TE. 
Please coach let Thorne and or Holden play QB. And don’t sub them out every other series. Dumb dumb dumb. 

The narrative can’t become Robby caused this. He was not the problem last night. Hell they seemed to  bail on Thorne and wanted RA’s legs to save them. Were any receivers besides the TE getting open? I’ve never seen so few down field attempts.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, japantiger said:

Can we just finally end the "Robbie needs a package" BS.  Holy crap...as expected, when he was in the defense loaded up to crush his predictable QB sweep lamely disguised as a RO and he cannot throw...made a beautiful rollout and then threw back across his body smack into the hands of a defender...who thankfully, dropped it.  

Stick with Thorne or not; put HG in; but just stop the madness.  Ashford should not be taking away playing time from a real QB. 

Amen!

3 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Gatewood should play QB. He is finally at the right position after five years and 3 teams - TE. 

Mentioned this to the wife last night, along with Nick Marshall moving to DB after leaving. I’d almost guarantee RA would be a much bigger contributor at a different position. 

5 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

..and people are saying he needs to throw the ball. Did you watch him throw the ball last night? When he does, it is a disaster waiting to happen. Put him at WR. It is obvious we need playmakers at other positions and he is an elite athlete - just Not a qb. . Maybe he can get open. 
Reminds me of all of the people that said Gatewood should play QB. He is finally at the right position after five years and 3 teams - TE. 
Please coach let Thorne and or Holden play QB. And don’t sub them out every other series. Dumb dumb dumb. 

He throws like a Robbie.😉

• Haha 2

Just now, TexasTiger said:

He throws like a Robbie.😉

Haha I just find it funny on every Auburn message board that nobody can spell his name correctly. 
Maybe Peayton Thorn or Holdon Gurner will play better in the next few games so we don’t have to hear about the Robbie package. 

• Like 1

Thanks PTB!!! I like to be the optimist when watching AU play. I got that from my Dad (AU '57). We used to talk after every game. He passed away 3 years ago. After that my brother (AU '81) stepped into Dad's role and would call after each game. He passed away 3 weeks ago. I only get to pull for Auburn 12-13 times per year, and I want to enjoy those moments even when we look bad. We got a W! We are 2-0!

Anyway, about being an optimist: what if our coaching staff knows the strengths and weaknesses of our team and knows how much/little our offensive players are grasping what the coaches are teaching. What if the coaches are limiting their game plan to what the players are ready for and what it takes for us to win while risking as little as possible to minimize huge mistakes. If my "what if" scenario is correct then we had a MASTERFUL game plan last night! I will smile this week just knowing that MIGHT be the case! War Eagle!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

The narrative can’t become Robby caused this. He was not the problem last night. Hell they seemed to  bail on Thorne and wanted RA’s legs to save them. Were any receivers besides the TE getting open? I’ve never seen so few down field attempts.

Yeah I think there's a valid critique that their gameplan for Robby is not good; as in the usage is clearly telegraphed and the defenses key in accordingly. It's like they existed in a duality where either the QB serves to open the running game, or throw some dink and dunk west coast nonsense. Even Thorne had like 5 rushing attempts (some of those were prob because nothing was there down the field).

Really horrifying gameplan overall, I think that stands out more than anything the QBs did or didn't do 

There is a lot of truth in the saying that if you have two quarterbacks you have no quarterback. Especially with the game speeding up with the constant running of the clock until 2 minutes left before the half and end of game. I was thinking about Freeze saying that Thorne would have to make better decisions or he wouldn't be in the game but the third quarter was half over when we finally got the ball. There just isn't much to play QB roulette to see who can move the ball better. Someone has to get in a groove and rotation isn't going to do it splitting 50-55 snaps. 

Edited by gr82be
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I thought we were doing a Coach Haskins thing.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, gr82be said:

There is a lot of truth in the saying that if you have two quarterbacks you have no quarterback. Especially with the game speeding up with the constant running of the clock until 2 minutes left before the half and end of game. I was thinking about Freeze saying that Thorne would have to make better decisions or he wouldn't be in the game but the third quarter was half over when we finally got the ball. There just isn't much to play QB roulette to see who can move the ball better. Someone has to get in a groove and rotation isn't going to do it splitting 50-55 snaps. 

yep. Thorne was playing poorly so we put in RA. We get a first down running, and on 1st and 10 Robby throws a terrible ball into triple cov that should have been picked. Yikes. Coaches quickly put Thorne back in the game. 
The bottom line is that we cannot keep subbing in and out quarterbacks. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I’m not panicking yet, but I’m concerned about Thorne. Don’t know whether the RPO aspects of this offense aren’t clicking yet, or if he’s just prone to bounce of self doubt, or the yips. But he needs to get it figured out or we’re going to need to see what Holden can do. 

@TitanTiger

I think this 2 QB hybrid system is messing with Thorne's mind and that's not good. It is causing him to constantly look over his shoulder and press. It's no wonder because he will engineer a good drive and then get taken out in the redzone. That's not good either, on many levels. Thank goodness at the end of the game they called time out and left him in last night in the RZ. He responded with a beautiful TD pass They need to support QB1 and let him run the team. 

• Like 2

Why does it seem so much vitriol towards Robby. Yes he threw a bad ball that should have been picked. He didn’t have any turnovers. PT had 2 . U could argue the first turnover right out the gate set the tone for the entire game

Edited by e808

6 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

yep. Thorne was playing poorly so we put in RA. We get a first down running, and on 1st and 10 Robby throws a terrible ball into triple cov that should have been picked. Yikes. Coaches quickly put Thorne back in the game. 
The bottom line is that we cannot keep subbing in and out quarterbacks. 

The Thorne thing is so strange.  His body language looks like a TF out there, but he’s a seasoned vet who’s been there before.  Hoping he takes control soon and actually looks like the field general he’s supposed to be.  Probably doesn’t help that they keep pulling him out for Robby - communicates a lack of faith/trust.  I don’t think it’s intended that way, but it’s clearly an issue.

1 minute ago, e808 said:

Why does it seem so much vitriol towards Robby. Yes he threw a bad ball that should have been picked. He didn’t have any turnovers. PT had 2 

I think he feels like a step backward…a panic move when other things don’t seem to be working.

2 minutes ago, e808 said:

Why does it seem so much vitriol towards Robby. Yes he threw a bad ball that should have been picked. He didn’t have any turnovers. PT had 2 

Because he had limited touches. Threw all of three passes and one should’ve been picked because it was the same kind of dumb decision he was making last year. 

Not saying it deserves vitriol but it does illustrate why he’s not QB1 and people should let that thought go. 

• Like 2