Post Cal Game Reset. Don’t Panic.

passthebiscuits

3 minutes ago, e808 said:

Why does it seem so much vitriol towards Robby. Yes he threw a bad ball that should have been picked. He didn’t have any turnovers. PT had 2 . U could argue the first turnover right out the gate set the tone for the entire game

Good point. 
To me the biggest disappointment of the season so far has been Thorne. This guy was a two-year starter on a Big Ten team. He should not look scared.
But we also have to remember that he has only been through fall practice with this team, and only had two scrimmages of real football before last weekend. 

Robby has been through spring and still struggles. 

At this point quarterback, once again, looks to be an issue. Unbelievable.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Because he had limited touches. Threw all of three passes and one should’ve been picked because it was the same kind of dumb decision he was making last year. 

Not saying it deserves vitriol but it does illustrate why he’s not QB1 and people should let that thought go. 

Yes, he threw all of three passes . PT didn’t play any better he had two turnovers and should have had a third . Over threw a 6’4 Hooks and on the game winning drive Fairweather made a helluva catch. Still don’t know how he made. For him to be the most experienced between the two there isn’t much that separate the two. Both make bad decisions 

I guess I’m shocked so many AU fans are bent out of shape today. That’s on me though. I (foolishly) assumed most would see it the way I did and that was, we played 4qtrs with a new team across country at a time no one has experienced and came home with a win. I went in thinking this game was simply going to show what kind of will this team had. Yeah, there may be areas I might have expected more from but it’s just so early in the season. I feel there is a lot to learn from and I have only slightly changed my prediction for this team. I went from 7, possibly 8 wins to more firmly at 7. I think Samford is the perfect next game to get ready for SEC play with working out kinks and correcting mistakes. I still think we split MSU/Ole Miss and Arky/aTm. I think Auburn is in an infinitely better place than they were the last 2 years. 

I am satisfied with this win. It’s not the best I’ve seen at Auburn but it’s certainly not the worst and I think the future is in good hands. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Good point. 
To me the biggest disappointment of the season so far has been Thorne. This guy was a two-year starter on a Big Ten team. He should not look scared.
But we also have to remember that he has only been through fall practice with this team, and only had two scrimmages of real football before last weekend. 

Bear in mind the main reason Thorne entered the portal was that after starting 2 seasons at mich  state they announced that they were going to have an open qb race and there were doubts he’d get qb1.

• Like 1

Just now, auburnatl1 said:

Bear in mind the main reason Thorne entered the portal was that after starting 2 seasons at mich  state they announced that they were going to have an open qb race and there were doubts he’d get qb1.

I did not know that. 

4 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Exactly and Coach didn’t give a clear cut answer of why he is qb1 outside of a gut feeling. Just have to make it through this year until CF gets more of his guys in. Not getting Grayson really hurt

Edited by e808
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

A very ugly win, but a win none the less.

Hopefully we learn from this one. Saw some really good halftime adjustments tho. I thought we would lose this one, so I’ll take the win. 

Obviously, you see what I’m saying about not being world-beaters this year. But y’all…the team we had on paper before Freeze would have been run out of that stadium. 

I remember back to 2010 when we won it all, and we had a very ugly win at home against Miss State and a very ugly win at Kentucky. Sometimes I think we get pretty short sided. 

Also, if we win 37-33 people would probably give us grief about our defense. I dunno. I just think there’s way too much positive with our program right now to do what we usually do and go off the rails.

Final thought. Please please please Auburn people, don’t lose your grip on reality. We traveled out to California with a brand new football team and beat a team with a pulse. We are moving in a positive direction in all areas. Let’s celebrate this program and a win! For the love, just keep heading forward! WDE! 

It was a huge win especially given our past two years of losing close games. We need to appreciate that we have a staff that stole a road win when everything went wrong. We haven’t had that since Tubberville, I’d say.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, e808 said:

Exactly and Coach didn’t give a clear cut answer of why he is qb1 outside of a gut feeling. Just have to make it through this year until CF gets more of his guys in

I have to say I’m struggling with the scheme and the total lack of open receivers last night (especially with cal stacking the box)  - but you have a fair point. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Of course better teams know how to stop RA. He is a quality athlete but no superb. Some of y’all were even comparing him to pearcy Harvin. The only way for him to get the best out of his god given athleticism is to be a competent passer. 

Percy Harvin? TF? Who said that lol

20 minutes ago, MDM4AU said:

am satisfied with this win. It’s not the best I’ve seen at Auburn but it’s certainly not the worst and I think the future is in good hands. 

Yep. Good point. Agree. 

7 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Percy Harvin? TF? Who said that lol

Man I need to find that quote, literally they were saying he could be our pearcy Harvin or Kadarious Toney. I was like man y’all need to stop. 

• Facepalm 1

22 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

I think our QB stats are so bad , when people saw his stats their eyes lit up. He is an above average QB. Like I said, I’ve seen him play in person well before he was a thought at Auburn. Doesn’t mean we can’t win with him. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think our QB stats are so bad , when people saw his stats their eyes lit up. He is an above average QB. Like I said, I’ve seen him play in person well before he was a thought at Auburn. Doesn’t mean we can’t win with him. 

Yeah I think the sentiment of disappointment is only because people were trying to convince themselves that the prevailing "game manager" sentiment came out of nowhere, or was anti-Auburn bias. Mich St has a TON of problems, and many of them existed last year, so he did deserve some protection. But I would say last game isn't that unbelievable when you just think of a game manager who didn't yet feel comfortable with the scheme. Doesn't help that he doesn't have a Keon Coleman anymore, who's going to be good for getting his QB about 100 yards off rip. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

Man I need to find that quote, literally they were saying he could be our pearcy Harvin or Kadarious Toney. I was like man y’all need to stop. 

I remember it too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Yeah I think the sentiment of disappointment is only because people were trying to convince themselves that the prevailing "game manager" sentiment came out of nowhere, or was anti-Auburn bias. Mich St has a TON of problems, and many of them existed last year, so he did deserve some protection. But I would say last game isn't that unbelievable when you just think of a game manager who didn't yet feel comfortable with the scheme. Doesn't help that he doesn't have a Keon Coleman anymore, who's going to be good for getting his QB about 100 yards off rip. 

Yep..Maybe our TE can be his big target now. Coleman would be nice to have , right ? Hate the idea that we supposedly passed him up because his attitude or whatever. Doesn’t matter how glued anyone is on players like that, you throw it up and they are going to make a play. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think what’s happening at Colorado is indirectly putting pressure on all new coaches. However, a fair question is whether it’s ds or his son that’s really causing it. Obviously it’s probably both, but having an elite, game changing, experienced qb year 1 is a highly unique advantage that we more than likely  don’t have.

When was the last time an AU QB had a 300yd, 3 TD passing game?  I’m genuinely curious I don’t know. 

5 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

I think what’s happening at Colorado is indirectly putting pressure on all new coaches. However, a fair question is whether it’s ds or his son that’s really causing it. Obviously it’s probably both, but having an elite, game changing, experienced qb year 1 is a highly unique advantage that we more than likely  don’t have.

Deion has only been coaching his son pretty much all his life. The test will come once his son is gone. Colorado was pretty lethargic yesterday until the second half. The QB for Nebraska was horrible. Their defense held only for so long. Nebraska is so bad that they have walkons playing receiver. Colorado handled business. Let’s see how they do against better competition 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm ecstatic about the win...you turn it over 4 times on the road, just generally don't have good QB play and you still win...that's an absolute gift.  Gotta hold onto the ball though...that's got to change quickly.  Carry that damn ball high and tight...that's on the players 100%.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Agree on the 1 QB. I think it doesn’t help us much to roll Robbie in there if he can’t throw. So, I go Thorne and take my chances. That said….work in progress. Looked like our receivers weren’t getting a ton of separation either. Whole offense looked rattled for 3.75 quarters. Definitely many many things to improve upon. Just hoping we don’t jump ship at the first sign of waves. 

Although I’ll rage against the seas and curse the sails, I’d never jump ship. Just sayin…it can be done .😎

• Love 1

12 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I stand corrected, my brain is quickly trying to erase what was witnessed tonight. Maybe it was just a horrible pass, or nearly picked. I can’t remember, but it was something not good. 

He almost had a throwaway pick. 

1 hour ago, e808 said:

Yes, he threw all of three passes . PT didn’t play any better he had two turnovers and should have had a third . Over threw a 6’4 Hooks and on the game winning drive Fairweather made a helluva catch. Still don’t know how he made. For him to be the most experienced between the two there isn’t much that separate the two. Both make bad decisions 

Actually he did play better even in the midst of a subpar game. He threw two dimes on the money for two TDs.  The throw to Fairweather is exactly how that throw is taught. You’re putting it where only your 6-4 receiver can get it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Actually he did play better even in the midst of a subpar game. He threw two dimes on the money for two TDs.  The throw to Fairweather is exactly how that throw is taught. You’re putting it where only your 6-4 receiver can get it. 

No I am talking about the throw that was behind fairweather and down by his ankles that kept the drive going. That was an unbelievable catch by him. Not sure about him playing better. Those turnovers were huge. Glad he was able to  have some get back with the two tds

Edited by e808

Did anyone else think Freeze looked like he had the flu or something?

The way the game played out,  a lot of us felt a little queasy,  but CHF  looked like he legitimately had the flu  all day.

• Like 1