Post Cal Game Reset. Don’t Panic.

passthebiscuits

Happy to have the win! Proud of the fight and attitude of the team. I’m most disappointed in the fumbles/ball protection issues which are fixable. Play calling was not ideal but I believe this staff will figure it out. I like Robby but would like to see Geriner as QB 2. Have seen glimpses of good play from Thorne but agree with many on here that the ability to get in rhythm was stifled by the QB swapping at odd times. WRs need to do a better job of getting open. A work in progress but not going to panic. Great job by the defense! WDE

• Like 5

1 hour ago, auburnatl1 said:

I think what’s happening at Colorado is indirectly putting pressure on all new coaches. However, a fair question is whether it’s ds or his son that’s really causing it. Obviously it’s probably both, but having an elite, game changing, experienced qb year 1 is a highly unique advantage that we more than likely  don’t have.

I think the fact his son is so smooth makes it worse. I mean I know people complain about DBs being on WRs but when you look at Colorado, he puts the ball where only his WR can get it. Of course he gives them opportunity to make plays such as Travis Hunter too. That is what separates the hood from the alright. Honestly , the sec is looking shaky. I was floored at the the QB talent the pac 12 has. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

We have another former high school coach as HC. 

I’m not panicking or making light of a former HS coach. What I truly meant was, there are tons of similarities in their play calling and it’s quite obvious, defenses have now caught up to the no huddle or hurry up. In my opinion, this was a very scary offensive play calling game. I read on here that the time zones don’t matter. I disagree to an extent with that. Yes we are 2/0, but LSU, Bama and even TAMU lost games to much better teams than Cal. My ceiling for this team was 7/6 or 8/5 at best. I also believe the QB rotation needs to stop. It’s very obvious PT has better touch on his passes. It’s fine to work RA in on certain possessions, but a true passer needs to build a rhythm of more than one series in and one series out. It was a good win, but it’s going to take a lot more to stay with teams in the West. Just an honest take from what I’ve seen through two games. 

41 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Did anyone else think Freeze looked like he had the flu or something?

The way the game played out,  a lot of us felt a little queasy,  but CHF  looked like he legitimately had the flu  all day.

I would too if I was responsible for that product being put out there 😅 especially compared to what he’s accustomed to seeing. Hopefully there’s plenty of oppty for improvement 

56 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

I would too if I was responsible for that product being put out there 😅 especially compared to what he’s accustomed to seeing. Hopefully there’s plenty of oppty for improvement 

The game is one thing,  I wasn't feeling so great during the game either,  but to me CHF looked sincerely/legitamately  ill all night including pregame.

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner
  • Like 1

This was the win we needed for a bowl to be realistic. 

IMHO Freeze will decide after LSU whether Thorne is jelling enough to start against the Miss schools, because that's the perfect time to start somebody else if advisable. 

Question. How would u guys be feeling if AU won the game 34-30? Fans seem to hit the panic button more when the offense struggles more so than when the defense struggles.  Perception.  Perception. 

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, MDM4AU said:

I guess I’m shocked so many AU fans are bent out of shape today. That’s on me though. I (foolishly) assumed most would see it the way I did and that was, we played 4qtrs with a new team across country at a time no one has experienced and came home with a win. I went in thinking this game was simply going to show what kind of will this team had. Yeah, there may be areas I might have expected more from but it’s just so early in the season. I feel there is a lot to learn from and I have only slightly changed my prediction for this team. I went from 7, possibly 8 wins to more firmly at 7. I think Samford is the perfect next game to get ready for SEC play with working out kinks and correcting mistakes. I still think we split MSU/Ole Miss and Arky/aTm. I think Auburn is in an infinitely better place than they were the last 2 years. 

I am satisfied with this win. It’s not the best I’ve seen at Auburn but it’s certainly not the worst and I think the future is in good hands. 

Yes sir, agree. Turn it over 4 times around midnight CST against a team who is extremely hyped to play you, and actually come out on top? Lots of chaos, but it’s not a bad win. Just shows us how deep the hole was that Harsin left us in. Thorne’s mechanics are good but he needs more time with the few talented wide outs we have to get going. Still a ways to go before we’re truly good again, but I have some hope for the season still and momentum is in the right direction.

Harsin loses this game handily.

10 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Question. How would u guys be feeling if AU won the game 34-30? Fans seem to hit the panic button more when the offense struggles more so than when the defense struggles.  Perception.  Perception. 

I totally agree on the sentiment. I think it has to do with: when you have an offense you never feel like you're out of a game vs feeling like anything over a one score lead is insurmountable and hoping your defense doesn't get worn out. Kinda like when a triple option team is down multiple scores in the second half. It's just more anxiety inducing lol

I think the terrible thing on offense too is we kept giving the ball to the other team. Also, I think folks (me included) had this perception our defense was suspect, and our offense would be much improved. But it seems the opposite is true, perhaps causing more concern with a 14-10 rather than a 34-30 score. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I’m just as concerned with some of the Oline stuff as I am the Qb situation.  I saw Miller get abused a little, 52 had one of the worst holds I’ve seen just because he was getting into it with the Dlineman.  Jarquez was only getting about 2 yards a carry for most the games.  The Dline’s are just going to get bigger and meaner.

The O line was also my major concern.  All year we have been hearing how much better they are but I just don’t see it so far.  The pressure on the QB was constant and there weren’t any holes for the running game.  52 has also looked like the weakest link to me.  Hopefully they will get better with more reps. 

10 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Where u been? Haven't heard from u in a while

My work load has been ramping up at work with more important task, responsibilities, etc.

I’ve been here at this firm for 6 months now so the training wheels are more or less gone and I’m off to the races. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I think there’d be less concern if we eeked out a win after 4 turnovers that killed ball moving drives. The almost total offensive ineptitude is concerning.

Right. It wasn't necessarily the execution of the offense, it was how it was drawn up to begin with. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Actually he did play better even in the midst of a subpar game. He threw two dimes on the money for two TDs.  The throw to Fairweather is exactly how that throw is taught. You’re putting it where only your 6-4 receiver can get it. 

Agree. I also thought PT continued to show he can stand in the pocket as well as use his legs when needed. I thought the coaching staff pulled him too early last week and didn’t give him time to work on chemistry with the receivers. The sporadic substitution this week with Ashford continues the issue of discomfort and lack of chemistry. I hope they play PT for 3 quarters and let him settle in as the starter next Saturday. 

• Like 2

I agree with most. Freeze has to pick  QB and stick w him. Thorne needs confidence.  Can't get that doing the QB shuffle.  Robbie is a 1 trick pony. Freeze won't let him throw downfield. IMO, if Thorne is shaky, put in Geriner. But, I ain't the coach. Only team I've coached is when I coached my electric football board back in the day.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I agree with most. Freeze has to pick  QB and stick w him. Thorne needs confidence.  Can't get that doing the QB shuffle.  Robbie is a 1 trick pony. Freeze won't let him throw downfield. IMO, if Thorne is shaky, put in Geriner. But, I ain't the coach. Only team I've coached is when I coached my electric football board back in the day.

The staff from the offensive side seems to be pressing too. It seemed to me like they were hell bent on trying to force the game through Hunter even though Cal was begging us to throw. Thorne came in shaky already with that bad fumble but made up for it in the end. Still I would like to see HG.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weagl1 said:

The O line was also my major concern.  All year we have been hearing how much better they are but I just don’t see it so far.  The pressure on the QB was constant and there weren’t any holes for the running game.  52 has also looked like the weakest link to me.  Hopefully they will get better with more reps. 

I want to say that the play calling didn’t help, but I’ve been saying that for, like, a decade now.

19 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I agree 100%. I just want us to roll with one QB and let him get a rhythm. Running QBs in and out simply doesn't help an offense that is struggling.  

100% Agree.

Ashford is one dimensional.  When he comes in the D knows what is coming 9 times out of 10.

Ashford can help this team in other ways - hopefully Brother Hugh had 'the talk' on the plane ride back about changing positions to get the ball in his hands other ways.  Sure, there can the very occasional wildcat & direct snap if Ashford is in at RB.  He could also line up in the slot or out wide.

Thorne needs all the reps he can get right now before conference play starts.

Freeze isn't dumb.  I don't recall him ever using a 2 QB system at any other coaching stop.  Why now?  Did he make a promise to Ashford to keep him from transferring?

Don't know but at this point it should be clear to everyone that it's not going to work (surprise, surprise).

Ashford seems intent on being a QB. If he wants a chance at the NFL someone he trusts needs to get real with him. Maybe he can be a good receiver. Maybe a safety. He can be a wildcat on occasion. But he’s tried QB at 2 schools. Maybe he’s the best option somewhere else, but if he wants to keep playing for a few more years he needs to face reality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1