All Things Deion/Colorado Discussion

NCTiger1982

https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/msnbc-opinion/deion-sanders-colorado-oregon-rcna117246

The white commentariat still finds joy in tearing down a proud, cocky, successful Black man in a position of authority

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

You always confuse people so I won’t even waste time correcting what you incorrectly attributed to me about Bo. 

But regardless, no, not “anybody with half a brain” sees that Deion will be successful at Colorado. He’s a brand new coach with very little experience.

If your goal posts are him making Colorado “better”, he’s already done that. They were 1-11 last year. Nobody is disputing that he’s taken them from the absolute worst and made some progress. He has and should be commended for it.

But a poster in this thread literally said they’re scared he’s the next Nick Saban. Finebaum talking about him succeeding Nick at Alabama. People saying he’s building the U from the 80’s. 

Based. On. What?????

I said I'm scared he's the next Nick Saban (at Alabama) because I really am.  But 6 months ago I was very doubtful that he would succeed even as far as he has.  So I don't really know anything.  I'm just a fan posting on a fan forum.

But Deion has been impressive.  He's going to be a magnet for good recruits and coaches, and he was the best player ever at his playing position, so he knows football. 

I think he did the right thing for himself by moving to Colorado instead of jumping to the SEC.  Nowhere to go but up, and free from the unreal expectations of the SEC.  Start small and build momentum.  After 3 years at Colorado he may be coming to an SEC school.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

You always confuse people so I won’t even waste time correcting what you incorrectly attributed to me about Bo. 

But regardless, no, not “anybody with half a brain” sees that Deion will be successful at Colorado. He’s a brand new coach with very little experience.

If your goal posts are him making Colorado “better”, he’s already done that. They were 1-11 last year. Nobody is disputing that he’s taken them from the absolute worst and made some progress. He has and should be commended for it.

But a poster in this thread literally said they’re scared he’s the next Nick Saban. Finebaum talking about him succeeding Nick at Alabama. People saying he’s building the U from the 80’s. 

Based. On. What?????

Well the poster you quoted didn't say anything about saban he was talking about getting better like we all were. So when you quote me that's literally what I'm talking about getting better. He will be successful but that's not what I said, you said that. But you usually get stuffed mixed up. 

It's no secret I wanted Sanders as our coach, but I was cool with freeze, I didn't want kitten and the other people, but if for some reason I didn't like freeze and everybody we played and beat I said were trash and the only way I'd admit that he's doing a good job is beat uga and win a title knowing how bad we are.....that's me just being a Dick. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Well the poster you quoted didn't say anything about saban he was talking about getting better like we all were. So when you quote me that's literally what I'm talking about getting better. He will be successful but that's not what I said, you said that. But you usually get stuffed mixed up. 

It's no secret I wanted Sanders as our coach, but I was cool with freeze, I didn't want kitten and the other people, but if for some reason I didn't like freeze and everybody we played and beat I said were trash and the only way I'd admit that he's doing a good job is beat uga and win a title knowing how bad we are.....that's me just being a Dick. 

You actually raise a great point though. Our start and Colorado’s start are very similar. But not a single soul here was saying Freeze had done a good job after his 3-0 start. Nobody was acting like we are supposed to be feared. Nobody has said Freeze is the next Saban.

Because there’s no sign of that right now. Look how Colorado has handled their trash 3-0 start vs. our trash 3-0 start. Deion may be awesome one day but today’s not that day. Tired of hearing about them. They need to prove something before “reading receipts” and declaring themselves the next dynasty. Just like we need to.

And for everybody talking about “wait until _____ year”, CU is currently 63rd in recruiting for 2024. Two four stars. I thought he was supposed to be bringing in the #1 undisputed class from here on out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Why, Rand? What makes you think Deion is going to close the gap and surpass Lanning’s Oregon team? What has Deion done to generate this type of fear from people, aside from nonstop talk?

He's been successful in the past, granted he was against lower level competition. He's a heck of a coach and leader and recruiter. Kids want to play for him. Travis Hunter chose JSU over FSU to play for him. Now that he's at a place like Colorado, he's going to start pulling in others and bigger recruits. It's an easier sell. He's going to fill the holes and weaknesses. 

Edited by Randman5000
  • Like 1

Just another reason I like Sanders, he has another 5 star corner. The corner won't show up on time consistently, he want watch film, Sanders playing the biggest game he's had so far, minus his best overall player (who also plays corner mind you) and what does Sanders do?? Sit his ass down. 

But this is from the coach who's selfish, thug, ghetto, blah blah blah

His son showed up 3 minutes late last year for a bowl game (the only game they lost btw) what did Sanders do? Sit his ass down. You see there's no treating a certain guy better just because (most common way coaches lose teams; literally what happened to before he us.....)

He'd rather deal with all the haters praying for his downfall before he cheats his players. I'm trying to think of examples of the other coaches that put their money where their mouth is like that 🤔

• Like 1
  • Love 2

11 hours ago, cole256 said:

Just another reason I like Sanders, he has another 5 star corner. The corner won't show up on time consistently, he want watch film, Sanders playing the biggest game he's had so far, minus his best overall player (who also plays corner mind you) and what does Sanders do?? Sit his ass down. 

But this is from the coach who's selfish, thug, ghetto, blah blah blah

His son showed up 3 minutes late last year for a bowl game (the only game they lost btw) what did Sanders do? Sit his ass down. You see there's no treating a certain guy better just because (most common way coaches lose teams; literally what happened to before he us.....)

He'd rather deal with all the haters praying for his downfall before he cheats his players. I'm trying to think of examples of the other coaches that put their money where their mouth is like that 🤔

That was my biggest doubt about Deion a few months ago - could he be tough on his players?  Even the good ones?

Didn't know he sat his son last year for a bowl game for being late.  Bear Bryant dealt with Ken Stabler and Joe Namath in similar fashion.  Few modern coaches exhibit such throwback values.

Urban Meyer famously let all manner of troublemakers play on his teams.  From Aaron Hernandez and all his troubles (even before the NFL), to Percy Harvin physically assaulting an assistant coach during game week and still starting at WR the following Saturday, Meyer was only concerned about himself and winning.

I remember when Deion played in the NFL and MLB.  He faced the same backlash he has at Colorado.  They said he was too flashy, disrespectful of those who came before him; immature kid should just shut up and play and be humble.  "NFL Primetime" (the old ESPN show with Chris Berman and Tom Jackson) used to make fun of him by showing his mistakes more than his good plays. 

That is, until he walked the walk on the field better than he talked off it (and he talked a lot off the field).  He backed it up.  Just like my favorite player Larry Bird.  I couldn't admire Bird's trash talking, and then dislike Deion for his.  Especially since he played for my Atlanta Braves.

Ronald Acuna Jr. is a modern example of this.  His style is not one that I would emulate, but people should stop complaining about his bat-flipping until they can stop the reason he's flipping the bat.  And he should probably tone it down a bit, in my opinion.  I'm old.

Overreaction to Deion goes both ways.  Some people have overreacted to his style, and others have overreacted to some of his critics.  I'm not referring to anyone on this forum or thread.  I'm just saying that not all his critics are racists.  His style is a radical departure from the standard model, and it will take time for it to be accepted.  Just like in his playing days.  Although some of his critics are racist, disliking his style is not automatically akin to racism.

All I know is Shiloh and Shedeur went very public about the ‘unprofessionalism” of the Nebraska coaches a couple of weeks ago. Made a huge deal of their perceived disrespectful behavior. Then Shiloh trash talks the Ducks while his teammates are raking the Oregon logo with their cleats. Then proceeded to get the dog crap kicked out of them by an Oregon team who took it all very personal. I’m not a fan of trash talk, but I know it happens and that’s okay. Just don’t be a hypocrite and complain about the opponent not having class one week, then be classless the next week and not expect to be called out for it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I hope Meon gets boat raced in every game! The way his team acted before the Oregon game was pathetic, but that’s how he has always been! Great player and possibly a great coach, but he and his team should behave better than that!

On 9/27/2023 at 5:35 AM, AUght2win said:

Based. On. What?????

Finally, some common sense added to the thread. Thank you!

With all of the media attention, one college coach could possibly hope for, Coach prime and Colorado currently ranked number 75 for the 2024 recruiting class.

Edited by AU-24

On 9/28/2023 at 5:26 AM, Gowebb11 said:

All I know is Shiloh and Shedeur went very public about the ‘unprofessionalism” of the Nebraska coaches a couple of weeks ago. Made a huge deal of their perceived disrespectful behavior. Then Shiloh trash talks the Ducks while his teammates are raking the Oregon logo with their cleats. Then proceeded to get the dog crap kicked out of them by an Oregon team who took it all very personal. I’m not a fan of trash talk, but I know it happens and that’s okay. Just don’t be a hypocrite and complain about the opponent not having class one week, then be classless the next week and not expect to be called out for it. 

And what was the “unprofessional” thing Nebraska was doing at midfield? They were praying for those players that believe in prayer. The Nebraska coach said after the game we meet at midfield and pray every week!

Prime claimed to be this Christian man, the follows TJ Jakes ministry, wants to change young mens lives for the better etc.. Obviously, that is just not the case.

• Dislike 1

The guy wasn't kicking up the grass they were literally talking about is the turf real or not but it just goes to show if you want a reason to hate you'll find it. Nobody on here having ANYTHING to say about disrespect had a problem when the people are aiming the disrespect at Sanders.....but now in the thread oh it was so wrong for someone to talk smack to Oregon.....I LOVE what this is pulling out of people

Deion detractors are about to get some relief - a few more losses for Colorado.  And Deion will get a chance to show what he can do under the adversity of losing.  FWIW, he's always come out on top in that battle.  Eventually.

Presently, both supporters and detractors can find what they want in this story.  Deion has definitely overachieved, but a case could be made that Colorado should be 1-3 right now.

I don't know what to think.  But I'll be glued to the TV when they play.

If losing does indeed set in for Colorado this year, as predicted, I wonder if the media will continue to give Colorado max press coverage.  They deserve it now, but what if they go on a losing streak?  Would the media dump them like they would any other sub-.500 team, if they reach that level?

I have my popcorn maker ready for tomorrow.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

The guy wasn't kicking up the grass they were literally talking about is the turf real or not but it just goes to show if you want a reason to hate you'll find it. Nobody on here having ANYTHING to say about disrespect had a problem when the people are aiming the disrespect at Sanders.....but now in the thread oh it was so wrong for someone to talk smack to Oregon.....I LOVE what this is pulling out of people

If you’re addressing my post I didn’t call their smack talk of Oregon wrong. I called them hypocrites for whining about the disrespect of the Nebraska coaches then cursing out opposing players right before they got boat raced. And what athlete has to test turf to see if it real or not and can only do that test on the opposing teams logo? That’s ridiculous. FWIW, I haven’t disrespected DS but I’m not worshiping at the altar either. He was a fabulous athlete and I’m happy he’s doing well at CU. One of my kids graduated from there and I’m happy for their success. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, WillMunny said:

If losing does indeed set in for Colorado this year, as predicted, I wonder if the media will continue to give Colorado max press coverage.  They deserve it now, but what if they go on a losing streak?  Would the media dump them like they would any other sub-.500 team, if they reach that level?

I have my popcorn maker ready for tomorrow.

No because he's Deion Sanders and that is what makes people so upset. They'll get attention whether they win or lose. Can't say the same for other schools. No one really cares (media mostly) when many other schools are winning or losing. Just is what it is. And people complaining about someone or a school getting attention even in defeat is pretty sad. 

• Like 1

Still think Colorado will be bowl eligible which is a major improvement. Clearly lack the depth of talent to complete with top tier teams .

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

Still think Colorado will be bowl eligible which is a major improvement. Clearly lack the depth of talent to complete with top tier teams .

Gonna be a real crapshoot. 

• Like 1

It is possible for people to actually like Deion and pull for him but not like some of the things he says and that's not wrong. My all time favorite tennis player is John McEnroe and he acted like a spoiled brat for at least half of his career. He also had integrity and respect for his opponent, just not big on the umpires and line judges 😂. I think Deion does as well. I loved watching Prime play and will follow him coaching too. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

If you’re addressing my post I didn’t call their smack talk of Oregon wrong. I called them hypocrites for whining about the disrespect of the Nebraska coaches then cursing out opposing players right before they got boat raced. And what athlete has to test turf to see if it real or not and can only do that test on the opposing teams logo? That’s ridiculous. FWIW, I haven’t disrespected DS but I’m not worshiping at the altar either. He was a fabulous athlete and I’m happy he’s doing well at CU. One of my kids graduated from there and I’m happy for their success. 

No I wasn't but if you want to talk we can but if you not paying attention one way or the other I GUARANTEE you won't get the entire story unless you do the homework and the stuff you are saying is because you didn't get the entire story. The unedited video is clear as day that's literally what the guy was talking about then he points at their scoreboard and talks and how awesome their stadium is......But since you want to feel the way you feel you said that's ridiculous. You don't know what the guys said to each other BEFORE on social media so the way you want to see it is he just randomly walked out and cursed some guys out he doesn't know.

But I don't want to argue about it, if you don't want to believe the truth of it don't and feel the way you feel. Cool

When Shadeur has some time he at least takes advantage of the opportunities . A lot of blame on Auburn oline but no one has taken more hits than him and he still stands in there and make plays 

Edited by e808

25 minutes ago, cole256 said:

No I wasn't but if you want to talk we can but if you not paying attention one way or the other I GUARANTEE you won't get the entire story unless you do the homework and the stuff you are saying is because you didn't get the entire story. The unedited video is clear as day that's literally what the guy was talking about then he points at their scoreboard and talks and how awesome their stadium is......But since you want to feel the way you feel you said that's ridiculous. You don't know what the guys said to each other BEFORE on social media so the way you want to see it is he just randomly walked out and cursed some guys out he doesn't know.

But I don't want to argue about it, if you don't want to believe the truth of it don't and feel the way you feel. Cool

I believe the truth, but I also believe two things can be true at the same time. You can have huge respect for a coach or athlete and love everything about them. I happen to feel that way about DS. You can also criticize them (or their son) for a particular action. I don’t know what was said on social media or how some video might have been edited. I know I heard Shiloh be crude and cursing out an opponent. Not classy in my opinion and hypocritical after calling out the Nebraska coaches. Not my jam and if an AU athlete does the same thing I’ll feel the same way. But we agree no need to argue about it. 

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I believe the truth, but I also believe two things can be true at the same time. You can have huge respect for a coach or athlete and love everything about them. I happen to feel that way about DS. You can also criticize them (or their son) for a particular action. I don’t know what was said on social media or how some video might have been edited. I know I heard Shiloh be crude and cursing out an opponent. Not classy in my opinion and hypocritical after calling out the Nebraska coaches. Not my jam and if an AU athlete does the same thing I’ll feel the same way. But we agree no need to argue about it. 

Did you hear Shiloh criticizing Nebraska coaches? And what would cursing out a guy who is saying the most disrespectful stuff about you and your family have to do with criticizing a coach, in the first place. And if we be completely honest they were mad about what the Nebraska coach had to say about their dad. Which is the most understandable thing out of every single thing said on here. 

But that was my entire point you don't know what was said and you don't know the truth about that video. Also something I guarantee is whoever in your mind is the most classiest player or coach has certainly cursed someone out on the field. But like I said I'm not trying to change what you feel or think, I'm just pointing out the reasons you say you feel the way you feel isn't completely accurate nothing more or nothing less. You can't believe the truth if you don't even know the truth. I don't feel like this was an argument

Edited by cole256

On 9/26/2023 at 4:06 PM, cole256 said:

@cole256everytime I see you refer to that other coach as kitten makes me laugh, that has to be the best one yet...LMAO

I'm a Sanders fan also, I just like the enthusiasm and excitement he brings to a program. I also think he will continue to be able to recruit and get decent players, but time will tell how well he will do. I just like all the attention he brings to a program and the school. Lets not forget CU is no world beater when it comes to football, maybe he will get them in the playoffs and maybe not but to be considered a success in CU is worlds different than it would be at AU. If he makes CU competitive and goes to bowl games, well he may not be satisfied with that but in CU football world that would be the best they have seen in like 2 decades, lol.

• Like 3