2024 Transfer Portal Thread (Merged Zeek's New Thread)

AU80cruiser

4 minutes ago, CR said:

Theyre just taking snaps away from QBs who may actually be good. Id be happy with a transfer, White and Brown. Young talent better than experienced mediocrity(being generous).

Freeze is chewing up alot of goodwill with the AU faithful.  How he handles this transfer QB situation is very important.  He can't standby and do nothing. He is going to have to backtrack on what he said about not getting a portal QB.

• Like 2

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39235799/alabama-center-seth-mclaughlin-enters-transfer-portal
Eli Holstein, redshirt freshman quarterback from Bama, also transferring. Interesting possibility.  That said, I’m guessing we’re probably good with our younger QBs and are interested in more experienced guys.

8 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

IMG_2791.gif

I totally get that Seth McLaughlin is inconsistent this season with his snaps but the Alabama fans have completely destroyed this guy on social media, message boards and the call-in shows like Finebaum. I would think that Saban told him to enter the portal but even if he wasn't told to enter, I would probably enter the portal on my own simply because of that rabid fanbase. I saw a stat on TV today that said the Alabama O-Line has given up nearly 150 sacks in just the past 3 seasons alone. And that's with Bryce Young and Milroe as their QB's and they can scramble/run very well. Imagine if they had McElroy, McCarron or Mac Jones at QB the past 3 years. That number would probably be around 250 because those 3 couldn't run worth a damn. That's a ton of sacks for an O-Line that's full of 4 and 5 star guys. I know that Seth McLaughlin is part of that O-Line but it goes to show that they're not being developed along the O-Line.

For comparison, I believe Peyton Thorne was sacked 34 times this season and that's with former Group of 5 O-Linemen, a true freshman Connor Lew at center and 3 star guys mixed in with them

Bama has ALOT more issues on that team and staff than just bad snaps from their center but that toothless fanbase has to have a scapegoat to attack and ruin his life. I swear they're the worst fanbase in college sports. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Freeze is chewing up alot of goodwill with the AU faithful.  How he handles this transfer QB situation is very important.  He can't standby and do nothing. He is going to have to backtrack on what he said about not getting a portal QB.

I totally agree!! 

I'm wondering if he is keeping this coaching staff intact as well. He addressed the departure of McGriff pretty quickly by hiring Charles Kelly. I've read Kelly will coach safeties and be co-DC so that tells me Ron Roberts will probably be safe and be co-DC with Kelly. 

Montgomery is the coach that needs to be cut loose but if Freeze was going to do it, I think it would've been done by now. It would make no sense for Montgomery to still be here going on 5 days since our season ended. Most coaches get fired right after the last regular season game and there will be a new position coach in place for the bowl game. Dabo hired Matt Luke as his O-Line coach not long ago and Luke was on the sidelines coaching in their bowl game against Kentucky. It won't shock me at all if Hugh keeps everybody. I don't trust Montgomery's playcalling or game-planning and from what Hugh has said, he doesn't seem to trust him either. That's why Montgomery still being here makes no sense. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

I don't trust Montgomery's playcalling or game-planning and from what Hugh has said, he doesn't seem to trust him either. That's why Montgomery still being here makes no sense. 

The guy certainly didn't get it done this season and showed nothing to indicate he's competent. This alone gives me pause about Freeze, he's shown little that he can manage AU football outside of recruiting.

7 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

That's why Montgomery still being here makes no sense. 

Makes sense to keep him as next year’s sacrificial firing if things go bad 

There’s something to be said about continuity in coaching and I believe there will be improvement on both sides of the ball. They know what CHF wants and he knows what they do well. The players also benefit greatly from this as well. 

• Like 3

Just my opinion.  The Cam Ward to AU may not be dead yet. He hasn't signed with an agent. Go watch his "video" where he says he is going pro. Seems sketchy to me. 5 second video. 1 sentence. This screams he is using it as leverage to me. Will AU pay is the ?

• Like 1

Seems AU is desperate now that the bowl game didn’t go as planned.  Glaring issues at QB with away games.

It maybe in Wards best interest to come to Auburn to improve his draft status now with a talented group of WRs.  Throw in Ryan Williams and it’s a slam dunk.

Auburn needs Ward - Ward needs Auburn!

Edited by AUY2K
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

It’s now official:

His #1 WR is in as well. May as well bring in some chemistry. 😎

• Like 1

I believe a good scenario would be to sign Salter (bring in his #1 receiver optional)

Wouldn't mind seeing Thorne transfer out if this hurts his feelings, but he flat laid an egg in the MC Bowl after being given a vote of confidence.

Any way that would give us Salter, Hank, and Walker battling out for QB1, and we brought in Jackson from Cal could be the emergency back up in the

4th spot, or as a wildcat QB.

I know that Freeze said he would not pursue other options at QB before the bowl game, but dang, I'm just afraid if Thorne is our QB1 in 2024 we might get set back another 2-3 years.

1 hour ago, AUY2K said:

Auburn needs Ward - Ward needs Auburn!

Unforuntately, I think only the first half of this is true.

1 minute ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Mods sure have been quiet on here last few days.LOL

They have been talking over on the Nest. 

4 minutes ago, woodford said:

Just saw on Twitter where Judkins is entering the portal? 

Makes no sense unless Drinkwater is as big of a jerk we think he is.

19 minutes ago, Crypto Dentist said:

Makes no sense unless Drinkwater is as big of a jerk we think he is.

Makes perfect sense in my opinion . QJ is watching OM break the bank on new guys in the portal and he’s wanting a raise. OM will have to pony up or lose him. Crazy times. 

Edited by Gowebb11

I'd really like to get Kaiden Salter. The guy is a play maker.  Normally not a benchmark I'd use, but he torched New Mexico State twice, putting 49 on them in the conference championship game...

Isn’t today the last day to enter the portal?  If you don’t get picked up before spring semester are you in no man’s land till summer?