The mother of hit pieces!

AuCivilEng1

This would involve (1) a very large reduction in football-related revenue, (2) moving away from our Southern roots, (3) abandoning our longtime rivalries, and (4) confronting a drastic dropoff in NIL and recruiting cred.

In other words, what a total crock of dooooo-dooooooo.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Bro, I read the original article from Fly War Eagle the other day, and almost posted it here, but I thought it was the biggest, steamiest pile of crap I ever read it wasn’t worth it wasting my time. I’m not saying anything negative towards you, I just couldn’t actually believe someone who cares or claims to care (i.e. the author) about Auburn and Auburn football would even consider such a ridiculous statement. The only teams to have played for a national title in the SEC this century are Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, and LSU. We’re an SEC founding member, and even the thought of leaving the SEC is the most asinine, unthinkable, absurd thing I’ve ever heard. 

Not only that, but the ACC is crumbling before our eyes. Dabo and Clemson is evaporating and FSU wants out ASAP. I bet they regret not joining the SEC now. We’ve been down the past few years, but it was only a few years ago we beat back-to-back #1 teams with Gustav. We’re now poaching recruits from Bama and UGA. No way in h3!! that Auburn leaves the SEC for the ACC. 

Edited by AUINSY
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

https://fansided.com/pitch-a-story/

FanSided covers the world of sports from every angle and we’re always looking to build relationships with new freelance writers. In particular, we are looking for freelancers who can help us tell stories on new subjects and in new voices, whether that’s through access, creative approaches or unique perspectives and experiences.

We are open to pitches for opinion columns, essays, detailed analysis, interviews, reported features, cultural criticism related to the world of sports, fan fiction any anything else you might dream up related to the world of sports. We are looking for stories about the world of sports both on and off the field and are very interested in stories from voices that are historically underrepresented in sports media — women, POC, LGBT+, etc.

Our rates vary based on length, topic, timeliness and the unique expertise or experience you bring to the topic. All of our payments are made through Payoneer and our policy is to send payments within 60 days of the end of the month in which the piece was published.

If you’re planning to pitch us a story make sure you know what your story is before you reach out. In about 200 words or less, tell us what kind of piece you’re pitching. How long do you anticipate it being? What is the most intriguing piece of the story and why do you think it would be a good fit for FanSided? If it’s a topic that has been well covered at other sites, tell us why your piece is unique and what new things it brings to the conversation. If it’s a reported piece, let us know what interviewing or research you’ve already done and how you plan to finish the rest.

When you are emailing your pitch please include a proposed headline in your subject line. If you have already written some of the piece, feel free to include a draft but it’s not necessary. If you have not previously written for FanSided, include no more than two or three clips of your best work from other outlets and it helps if the links you send are representative of the kind of story you’re pitching. Tell us why you’re the right person to do this story.

All pitches can be sent to Freelance@FanSided.com.

Please give us a week or two to review and respond to your pitch. If your story is particularly timely, it’s okay to send a follow-up email. We do our best to respond to all pitches but we can’t promise. If your pitch is something we’re interested in we will let you know as soon as we can.

Below you’ll find some additional details on the kinds of stories you’re looking for and how to make your pitch as strong as possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

That belongs in Mad Magazine. No way is it serious.

That’s an insult to Mad Magazine. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, AUApostle said:

any anything else you might dream up related to the world of sports.

IMG_0289.gif

• Like 3

i have not thought about mad magazine in years but i sure bought a lot of them back in the day when i had to pocket change..................

• Like 1

I’ll never say that people don’t have a right to write about anything they want. But my problem with writing like this is that it’s based in absolutely not fact or statistics.

Let’s just set aside the fact that the article was headlined like it is actually something that Auburn is considering, based on sources. 

The writer singles out Auburn as a team that should relegate itself. No mention of South Carolina, or Ole Miss, or sh*t even Florida. 

Auburn Football has been to more SEC championships and played in more National Championships in the last 20 years that like 70% of the league. We are on the top half of the league in recruiting and NIL, minus the Harsin years.

Auburn Basketball has been in the top quarter of the conference in basketball over the last 10 years. We have put a large handful of players in the NBA, won multiple SEC championships, and played in a final four.

Auburn baseball has seen more postseason success in the last 10 years than at least half the league. And we just signed the #4 class.

This writer thinks we serve no purpose in the SEC, because we haven’t been dominant in anything really, minus Equestrian. Which I guess is fair. But if Auburn relegates itself, who tf are they going to replace them with? Someone has to be in the spot Auburn is in. 

Now soccer style relegation may be an actual option. I’d be interested to see how the schools played out if that were a thing. But to say we ARE considering moving to a dying conference, because like 5 schools have been more successful in the last 10 years is so disingenuous and ridiculous that it shouldn’t even be given publication.

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

The stupid thing about this is that conference, really, is going to matter less and less. The conferences are going to get bigger, the haves are going to get fewer as NIL money grows and dominates the recruiting landscape, and the playoffs will expand. Eventually, college is going to look more like the NFL and whether they call Auburn's conference the SEC, ACC the south division or whatever, what will determine our's and everyone's athletic success is money. That's it. Being in the ACC won't change that. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AUApostle said:

https://fansided.com/pitch-a-story/

FanSided covers the world of sports from every angle and we’re always looking to build relationships with new freelance writers. In particular, we are looking for freelancers who can help us tell stories on new subjects and in new voices, whether that’s through access, creative approaches or unique perspectives and experiences.

We are open to pitches for opinion columns, essays, detailed analysis, interviews, reported features, cultural criticism related to the world of sports, fan fiction any anything else you might dream up related to the world of sports. We are looking for stories about the world of sports both on and off the field and are very interested in stories from voices that are historically underrepresented in sports media — women, POC, LGBT+, etc.

Our rates vary based on length, topic, timeliness and the unique expertise or experience you bring to the topic. All of our payments are made through Payoneer and our policy is to send payments within 60 days of the end of the month in which the piece was published.

If you’re planning to pitch us a story make sure you know what your story is before you reach out. In about 200 words or less, tell us what kind of piece you’re pitching. How long do you anticipate it being? What is the most intriguing piece of the story and why do you think it would be a good fit for FanSided? If it’s a topic that has been well covered at other sites, tell us why your piece is unique and what new things it brings to the conversation. If it’s a reported piece, let us know what interviewing or research you’ve already done and how you plan to finish the rest.

When you are emailing your pitch please include a proposed headline in your subject line. If you have already written some of the piece, feel free to include a draft but it’s not necessary. If you have not previously written for FanSided, include no more than two or three clips of your best work from other outlets and it helps if the links you send are representative of the kind of story you’re pitching. Tell us why you’re the right person to do this story.

All pitches can be sent to Freelance@FanSided.com.

Please give us a week or two to review and respond to your pitch. If your story is particularly timely, it’s okay to send a follow-up email. We do our best to respond to all pitches but we can’t promise. If your pitch is something we’re interested in we will let you know as soon as we can.

Below you’ll find some additional details on the kinds of stories you’re looking for and how to make your pitch as strong as possible.

The TL:DR version of this is that we should group-write an article, then submit it to these guys and let the revenue (it won't be much! ) go to this site. 

@BigBird, @Golf, come up with an article title. Doesn't have to be about AU, just about any SEC team. 

@fifty, go get yourself all wound up, then just write whatever comes to mind from their title. 

Rest of us will group edit, should have this done by next week. It will make at least as much sense as that article did, and might even cause consternation on a rival board! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TigerHorn said:

The TL:DR version of this is that we should group-write an article, then submit it to these guys and let the revenue (it won't be much! ) go to this site. 

@BigBird, @Golf, come up with an article title. Doesn't have to be about AU, just about any SEC team. 

@fifty, go get yourself all wound up, then just write whatever comes to mind from their title. 

Rest of us will group edit, should have this done by next week. It will make at least as much sense as that article did, and might even cause consternation on a rival board! 

I’m thinking,

Georgia looking to shut down athletic program, because they suck at everything other than football.

Do they? I don’t really know. But it doesn’t matter what the facts are. 

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Like 1

It seems to be a fishbowl article. Basically, the author was out of ideas. When that happens hit the fishbowl and draw a wacky topic to crank out some words to keep getting paid. Nothing to see here. Plus the ACC already has it’s version of us - Clemson. Complete with architectural similarities. 

Edited by AU120289

2 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

“Saban Struggles to High-Five…Everyone”

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, AUINSY said:

Bro, I read the original article from Fly War Eagle the other day, and almost posted it here, but I thought it was the biggest, steamiest pile of crap I ever read it wasn’t worth it wasting my time. I’m not saying anything negative towards you, I just couldn’t actually believe someone who cares or claims to care (i.e. the author) about Auburn and Auburn football would even consider such a ridiculous statement. The only teams to have played for a national title in the SEC this century are Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, and LSU. We’re an SEC founding member, and even the thought of leaving the SEC is the most asinine, unthinkable, absurd thing I’ve ever heard. 

Not only that, but the ACC is crumbling before our eyes. Dabo and Clemson is evaporating and FSU wants out ASAP. I bet they regret not joining the SEC now. We’ve been down the past few years, but it was only a few years ago we beat back-to-back #1 teams with Gustav. We’re now poaching recruits from Bama and UGA. No way in h3!! that Auburn leaves the SEC for the ACC. 

I think they'll be fine but they should do whatever they can to get Notre Dame and I mean whatever. Tulane would be a good addition on top of that.

This doesn't make much sense in the short run, but I would take a serious look at App State, Georgia Southern, and James Madison. Those programs worship football and if they had a higher revenue stream, they would be solid additions in terms of football.

If you gave GaSo the same amount of money that Duke gets each year I honestly believe they would be a mid to upper ACC program in a few years. They would vastly upgrade facilities and recruit at a higher level. 

I know it's a weird take but it's a slow work day.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, woodford said:

I think they'll be fine but they should do whatever they can to get Notre Dame and I mean whatever. Tulane would be a good addition on top of that.

This doesn't make much sense in the short run, but I would take a serious look at App State, Georgia Southern, and James Madison. Those programs worship football and if they had a higher revenue stream, they would be solid additions in terms of football.

If you gave GaSo the same amount of money that Duke gets each year I honestly believe they would be a mid to upper ACC program in a few years. They would vastly upgrade facilities and recruit at a higher level. 

I know it's a weird take but it's a slow work day.

If a program like FSU is leaving/looking to leave said conference, I don’t know that anyone could convince a Norte Dame to join. I don’t disagree with your points. But the idiotic idea of us relegating ourselves to the ACC when we’ve been 1 of 5 programs to eat at the big boy’s table in the SEC this century is ludicrous. Maybe some like Miss State, maybe South Carolina, but not Auburn. 

34 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

If a program like FSU is leaving/looking to leave said conference, I don’t know that anyone could convince a Norte Dame to join. I don’t disagree with your points. But the idiotic idea of us relegating ourselves to the ACC when we’ve been 1 of 5 programs to eat at the big boy’s table in the SEC this century is ludicrous. Maybe some like Miss State, maybe South Carolina, but not Auburn. 

Oh yeah, I wasn't paying the article any attention. Way too dumb to even waste brain cells on lol

• Like 1