SEC Championship game, uga vs Bammers

bishoptf

I dunno if I am even going to watch since I really could care less about either team. I don't think Bama or Thuga are as dominant this year. Looks like Thuga is probably a little better but I guess we will see but so tired of these 2 teams year after year. I know LSWho and Auburn make some runs but really hoping that those 2 teams do not stay as dominant as they have been in the past, hoping NIL levels the playing field.

Just a monday morning rant...sigh.. 

Edited by bishoptf
  • Like 3

Unfortunately, your wish is not going to happen as long as Saban is at Bama.    Both are beatable if you have some talent (especially a good offense).   Both are continuing to recruit very well and don’t see it changing.   Auburn needs to continue to recruit at their current level and add some pieces with the portal.    Kirby and Saban are not superior in game coaches.   Kirby especially.   Saban has been known to make some great in game decisions (onside kick Clemson NC game and going with Tua in 2nd half against UGA).  I would say that CHF (with some talent) can hang with the both of them.  

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Unfortunately, your wish is not going to happen as long as Saban is at Bama.    Both are beatable if you have some talent (especially a good offense).   Both are continuing to recruit very well and don’t see it changing.   Auburn needs to continue to recruit at their current level and add some pieces with the portal.    Kirby and Saban are not superior in game coaches.   Kirby especially.   Saban has been known to make some great in game decisions (onside kick Clemson NC game and going with Tua in 2nd half against UGA).  I would say that CHF (with some talent) can hang with the both of them.  

Yeah I'm happy that our recruiting is trending in the right direction but the coaching this year has left me a little concerned but hoping for the best, I guess we will see how it goes. Just gets old, I think NIL has evened the playing field somewhat but I guess we will see.

Sad thing is that I see no one out there this year that I think can actually beat either of them. 

Texas best Bama early, but I don't see that happening again this year. I think if they played again tomorrow Bama wins by double digits at least. 

I'm not at all impressed with Ohio State, nor Michigan. 

I actually think that other than the turds Missouri may be the best team GA will play all year. 

Somebody needs to come along, and knock GA off their perch. I'm beyond sick of them. 

• Like 3

A lot of people, including some on this board were prematurely judging Saban as done. I’m just hoping Hugh can continue to build us back to sustained excellence. It’s been a minute. 

FWIW, I think UW and Oregon would be better matchups for UGA than OSU or Michigan. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Sad thing is that I see no one out there this year that I think can actually beat either of them. 

Texas best Bama early, but I don't see that happening again this year. I think if they played again tomorrow Bama wins by double digits at least. 

I actually think that other than the turds Missouri may be the best team GA will play all year. 

Somebody needs to come along, and knock GA off their perch. I'm beyond sick of them. 

Yeah I live in Missouri outside of St. Louis, moved here when I graduated and have always pulled for Mizzou, they actually are playing decent football and wish they could have found a way to spoil thuga but looks like another repeat in the SEC CG, sigh...

I agree, I can't stand either team...

2 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

A lot of people, including some on this board were prematurely judging Saban as done. I’m just hoping Hugh can continue to build us back to sustained excellence. It’s been a minute. 

FWIW, I think UW and Oregon would be better matchups for UGA than OSU or Michigan. 

Eh but I dont think either of them would win when they actually have to play someone with a defense. I dont think either beat ebammers or thuga...UW and Oregon are all that until they actually play a decent team. I guess we will see...

Edited by bishoptf

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

I agree about UW, and O.

Both have gotten excellent QB play, however I don't think either team is physical enough to match up well with GA

• Like 1

Just now, Eagle-1 said:

I agree about UW, and O.

Both have gotten excellent QB play, however I don't think either team is physical enough to match up well with GA

This right there...thats my thought also...

Just now, bishoptf said:

Eh but I dont think either of them when they actually have to play someone with a defense will beat either bammers or thuga...UW and Oregon are all that until they actually play a decent team. I guess we will see...

I don’t think either could beat UGA but they would be a better matchup. The PAC 12 has been surprisingly good this season. 

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I'd be happy with some semblance of consist success.  Improvement where we can somehow achieve back-to-back 9 win or miraculously b2b 10-win seasons would be wonderful.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I would like to refer back to the grand debate of who the third opponent should be. I was told that we could handle Florida or LSU because Alabama was about to fall back to the Shula years. 🙄

(And yes, nine games will happen--by 2026 at latest, guaranteed).

Edited by AUwent

I'm not a Nick Saban fan at all but I do respect what he has accomplished. In my opinion, this season and his 2008 season are arguably his greatest coaching jobs since he's been at Alabama. His 2008 team started 12-0 and did it with John Parker Wilson as their QB. It was Saban's 2nd season at Bama and they were coming off a 7-6 season and he changed both coordinators for 2008.

At the start of this season, myself and most people said Saban was wearing down like Bobby Bowden and Paterno eventually did. He looked tired and like he had aged 20 years over the offseason. Trouble on offense with bad O-Line, average QB play, WR's dropping passes and a ton of stupid penalties had us all thinking the dynasty was over. Plus Tommy Reese as OC wasn't working out at all. They lost to Texas, looked terrible at South Florida and barely beat Arkansas and Texas A&M and were down 20-7 to Tennessee at halftime. They've definitely flipped a switch and here they are undefeated in SEC play and SEC West champs again. They say Saban is the best at putting people in the right positions and he just knows what each of his teams need. Every team is different. Some need an authoritarian figure and some need love and coddling but he seems to always figure it out. This year just took longer than most.

I will wait until Iron Bowl week to make a prediction but I think we give them a hell of a game!!

Saban looks old, tired, and worn out (disengaged), it was thought he was down and had lost interest, that the program would take a major step back and others could gain the upper hand on the tide.

If anyone's cared to watch them, it's been a steady & gradual improvement in the fundamentals and overall discipline by the players.  And whoever the hell is waving that magic wand making those half-time adjustments deserves a massive raise, because those adjustments have been glaringly obvious and instrumental in their success. 

Yes, well done by bama this year.

It's a lot easier to turn a program from coaching with all that talent that he has.

Will be interesting to see aTm next year with all the talent they have and a decent coach.

• WarTiger changed the title to SEC Championship game, uga vs Bammers
On 11/13/2023 at 1:53 PM, Eagle-1 said:

Michigan can absolutely beat both of them. Texas already beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa. FSU and Oregon would both have legit shots against them. tOSU has an incredible defense but their offense isn't what it usually is. Still they're loaded everywhere.

Not even Little Nicky could win three straight. 

This will, unfortunately, be a semi-final for the CFP. Neither team is as dominant as they have been in past years, but both are still formidable. The SEC Championship Game should be a good one. I have no favorite. I dislike them both intensely. A couple of weeks ago, I would have picked UGA based on total team talent and play. But Milroe has come on and I now consider it a tossup.

As for everyone else -- either Michigan or tOSU will be there. They dominated their weak conference and one of them will be undefeated. But in the CFP ...... meh.

Then there is a whole herd of teams competing for the next two spots. Could FSU, Washington, Texas, Louisville, or Oregon beat UGA/Bama winner? Could tOSU or Michigan? 

Personally, I think the BAMA/UGA SEC Championship Game is the de facto national championship game.

And I hate it!

Ok, here's a real fantasy for you guys. 

UT pulls out a miracle beats GA, Auburn beats Bama, and Bama beats GA knocking them both out of the playoff. 

I'll just be over here dancing an Irish jig for the next ten, or twelve months. 

Edited by Eagle-1

5 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Ok, here's a real fantasy for you guys. 

UT pulls out a miracle beats GA, Auburn beats Bama, and Bama beats GA knocking them both out of the playoff. 

I'll just be over here dancing an Irish jig for the next ten, or twelve months. 

Ok so hear me out, I think there's a decent chance if Bama beats UGA, they could both be left out. Unlikely, but possible.

OSU wins out and gets in. FSU wins out and gets in. Washington wins out and gets in. 1 slot left, three contenders:

-Texas (1 loss, CC, beat bama at TTown)

-Alabama (1 loss, CC, beat UGA)

-UGA (1 loss)

IMO, there's zero chance UGA makes it in this scenario. And all things being equal, Texas SHOULD make it over Bama. 

Unlikely because the Bama/Saban effect are real, and if they're close, they'll almost always make it in if things are equal. But ignoring H2H when both are CC with equal records should ban playoff committees for life.

1 hour ago, KansasTiger said:

Ok so hear me out, I think there's a decent chance if Bama beats UGA, they could both be left out. Unlikely, but possible.

OSU wins out and gets in. FSU wins out and gets in. Washington wins out and gets in. 1 slot left, three contenders:

-Texas (1 loss, CC, beat bama at TTown)

-Alabama (1 loss, CC, beat UGA)

-UGA (1 loss)

IMO, there's zero chance UGA makes it in this scenario. And all things being equal, Texas SHOULD make it over Bama. 

Unlikely because the Bama/Saban effect are real, and if they're close, they'll almost always make it in if things are equal. But ignoring H2H when both are CC with equal records should ban playoff committees for life.

Not going to happen my friend.

If Bama beats GA for their only loss there is no way the 2 time defending champ gets left out with one loss. 

They will get in over any other one loss team, and possibly over an undefeated Washington. I absolutely hate it, but I'd be willing to bet the farm that's what would happen. 

The mutts need to lose twice. 

3 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Not going to happen my friend.

If Bama beats GA for their only loss there is no way the 2 time defending champ gets left out with one loss. 

They will get in over any other one loss team, and possibly over an undefeated Washington. I absolutely hate it, but I'd be willing to bet the farm that's what would happen. 

The mutts need to lose twice. 

If thats true, and I'm not saying that's not possible or even not likely, the committee would be lying about everything they say matters. H2H, conference championships, all of it, to just put the 'eye test' and some previous history that shouldn't even count toward this year over actual on field performance. But historically, that IS what they do. Which is why I want the committee disbanded.

I think UA will beat UGA in the SECCG.  And again in a semi-final CFP game.

That's the way things will work out, IMO.