NMSU Post mortem

TitanTiger

5 minutes ago, bishoptf said:

Eh, IMHO I think that is just wishful thinking...or hoping for the best. I mean we just let a team that has never beat an SEC team in 25 years beat us. How can one think he has us heading in the right direction, the only thing that appears to be going better is recruiting. I guess if that is your only measure then that is better but from what I have seen with the play calling and coaching I have not seen anything that indicates he has us going in the right direction, pretty much the opposite. This was an embarrassing loss and until he appears to have the team ready to play week in and week out then I have no faith we are headed anywhere except wandering in the desert.

It was a bad loss no doubt, but don’t believe we should be jumping off any cliffs.

Just now, bishoptf said:

I wish folks would keep making that comparison HF and Saban aren't close to being the same coaching caliber. Nick Saban had won something, CHF hasn't and it's not even close so lets stop using that as an example...

And just who would you recommend us replacing him with? And why didn’t we go after that person this time last year. And don’t say Deion cause he just got his pushed in last night.

• Facepalm 1

Just now, DAG said:

Yep, the future is these new guys coming in. Just got to let it play out. 

I can think of 2 long balls tonight that Thompson, Coleman, and Williams haul in and probably change the trajectory of the offense.  We’ve got 3 short guys as our reliable weapons at WR, and a hybrid TE that can’t block.  We have no consistent outside guys with any size and speed.

• Like 4

Just now, Hank2020 said:

It was a bad loss no doubt, but don’t believe we should be jumping off any cliffs.

Agreed, but we have moved significantly closer to the edge of the cliff.

6 minutes ago, bishoptf said:

I wish folks would keep making that comparison HF and Saban aren't close to being the same coaching caliber. Nick Saban had won something, CHF hasn't and it's not even close so lets stop using that as an example...

Ok, Norvell lost to Jacksonville State in his second season at FSU.  Has them 11-0 right now and in position for a CFP berth (they lost their staring QB Travis and are losing to North Alabama right now early, but long way to go).

The point is that good coaches sometimes have awful, inexcusable losses early in their tenure at big schools.  

Look, we get it - you never wanted Freeze and you're venting your spleen about it now.  But there's nothing wrong with pointing this out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jluvah said:

Saban lost to La Monroe his first year. These games happen when a team isn’t a ton more talented than the 25point underdog. We need better players and Freeze is addressing that. Damn we’re a finicky fan base

Lol, I have been waiting for the “What about Saban losing to La Monroe in his first year” argument. What a joke.

1 minute ago, sevenlee36 said:

Lol, I have been waiting for the “What about Saban losing to La Monroe in his first year” argument. What a joke.

Wasn’t joking 

Just now, Hank2020 said:

He just lost to a team that has never beaten an SEC team ever...not jumping off any cliffs but outside of recruiting he has not out coached anyone this year. I mean he beat some bad teams but he has not won a game that we were not expected to win. This game we were expected to win and he still lost the game, so say what you want but outside of recruiting he has not shown that he can coach up a team. His excuse about not having better players doesn't hold up tonight since we had the better players and still lost and lost bad.

10 minutes ago, BustemBigBlue said:

Sums it up. They were the better, more physical team which was surprising. They didn’t even play that well and still blew us out at home. No excuses. Just have to get better. 

gotta git butter.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Refs weren’t terrible. AU was terrible. s*** they gave us the majority of the yards are bull s*** offense could muster. 

The two aren't mutually exclusive.

13 minutes ago, AUwent said:

They are simply a far more attractive job than us at this point, for reasons out of our control. I do feel like we were way too hard on Gus--keeping a program smack in the middle of the two best programs in the country afloat is a bear of a task.

They may be a more attractive job at this time but with our tradition that has not been the case most of the time.  We losing our position is directly within our control.

• Facepalm 1

The players were disrespectful to the coach. The players didn't take him seriously. This is an issue I have discussed with college professors. One colleague said he has to give zeros at the beginning of the semester to get their attention. 

I cannot believe what I saw.  This is definitely a black mark against Freeze.

If this was a 10-1 or 11-0 team coming in then maybe...... but these guys have three losses.

Beat his butt at Liberty last season too.

4 minutes ago, jluvah said:

And just who would you recommend us replacing him with? And why didn’t we go after that person this time last year. And don’t say Deion cause he just got his pushed in last night.

Actually I did want Deion, just since he would have brought a lot more exposure and I think actually a better recruiting class. As bad as you think AU was in regard to recruiting, CU is in a whole nother class, he basically has replaced the whole team. They won one game last year, he has actually surpassed expectations for the first year. 

Again so far all that CHF has shown is that he can recruit better than than Harsin, so far I have not see he is a better coach, far from it.

• Like 3

Someone, I believe on this site, said last week that we still did not yet “know how to win.”

I do believe that. Fortunately the last 3 weeks we had some very fortunate plays that put us ahead early and fairly easy. The team reacted positively and fed off the breaks.

But teams that know how to win are named Georgia and Alabama. Winning has to become a belief. Besides the lack of focus and effort tonight, NMSU struck Auburn in the mouth and we did not know how to react nor did we have players to make it happen.

Have no other choice now but to hope and wish we are going to be able to move forward and learn how to win. JMHO

3 minutes ago, jluvah said:

And just who would you recommend us replacing him with? And why didn’t we go after that person this time last year. 

I would be surprised if anyone other than Freeze was seriously considered. We have boosters that think they know football making the decisions. No one outside of Auburn wanted Hugh Freeze. There were a number of coaches out there we could have thoughtfully pursued. Some were up and comers with no guarantees. Some were young P5 coaches with promising starts. We talk to them, but just like with Gus, the pick was made before the talks even began. We act like we're a conference USA team when we hire coaches and we get those kind of results. We have a big time football resume, but we have a small ball mentality from the top down. 

We've got Freeze. We'll hope for the best. But we can simultaneously stop acting like this guy is some top level coach and that we are incapable of attracting good coaches to this program. If we need to have booster leverage over every  coach we hire, sure. Freeze is probably top value... but we overpaid. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Auburn got out-everythinged today for sure, but adding that the officiating crew was so dang whistle-happy, and when they could/should have overturned things like their red zone fumble and touchdown reception where the receiver’s foot appeared to no longer be in the EZ, it was just a screwy game all around. To be clear, not blaming the officiating at all for this loss, but it was just a weird game all around.

4 minutes ago, bishoptf said:

He just lost to a team that has never beaten an SEC team ever...not jumping off any cliffs but outside of recruiting he has not out coached anyone this year. I mean he beat some bad teams but he has not won a game that we were not expected to win. This game we were expected to win and he still lost the game, so say what you want but outside of recruiting he has not shown that he can coach up a team. His excuse about not having better players doesn't hold up tonight since we had the better players and still lost and lost bad.

Sam Pittman really appreciates you saying that.

Edited by tigeraddikt

Auburn fired Gus too soon.  Did he need to go?  Definitely.  Could it have waited another season?  Definitely.  Payout would have been lower.  No hot tub tomfoolery.  You wouldn’t have had 2 years of Harsin’s malpractice.  Still could have gotten Hugh or whoever.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

I would be surprised if anyone other than Freeze was seriously considered. We have boosters that think they know football making the decisions. No one outside of Auburn wanted Hugh Freeze. There were a number of coaches out there we could have thoughtfully pursued. Some were up and comers with no guarantees. Some were young P5 coaches with promising starts. We talk to them, but just like with Gus, the pick was made before the talks even began. We act like we're a conference USA team when we hire coaches and we get those kind of results. We have a big time football resume, but we have a small ball mentality from the top down. 

We've got Freeze. We'll hope for the best. But we can simultaneously stop acting like this guy is some top level coach and that we are incapable of attracting good coaches to this program. If we need to have booster leverage over every  coach we hire, sure. Freeze is probably top value... but we overpaid. 

EVERY program has boosters that want influence in exchange for their support.  

Auburn has some of the best football facilities in the country, but we can't find a top notch coach. Just a revolving door of coaches and buyouts. Something has got to give. This team looked one step slower than New Mexico St on 85% of plays, and unenthusied to say the least. Not sure who was calling plays on offense, but they sucked today. The most shocking thing I saw on that last score by New Mexico St, was our guys looked like they gave up, and you never want to see that.