NMSU Post mortem

TitanTiger

Just now, aubaseball said:

This is horse sh$t.   Everyone talks about trap games.   Hell, Saban invented the term, rat poison.   

Sure, you keep believing that.  Freeze's tenure will be about like Arnett's.  

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Your wasting your time explaining this. Even though there are numerous examples of these kinda losses during a rebuild. Even though it was a total embarrassing loss.. Some can't see the forest for the trees. I  would say more times than not theses losses happen at some point in a rebuild 

I agree.  These losses  happen to the coach you fired to fix the other coach you fired before you actually hire the coach you needed.  Looking forward to our next hire.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, nurbis said:

NMSU was not a good team. Below is their schedule and the records of the teams they have played before us. The teams they have beaten, not including us, have a combined record of (22-56). They have only beaten one team with a winning record before us. They have two losses to teams with losing records. 

Only UTEP and Middle Tennessee scored less than we did with 7 points each. Even winless Western Illinois scored 21 on them.

Only three times this year, against FIU, Western Kentucky, and UMass, have they scored 30 points or more. This was not a great defense or a great offense we played. 

People want to bring up Saban's loss to La Monroe as comparable but it really isn't. If you want a more accurate equivalent, it is Chad Morris at Arkansas losing by 26 at home to (9-3) Western Kentucky. I don't think it can be overstated how bad of a loss this was.  

UMass (3-8) L

Western Illinois (0-11) W

Liberty (11-0) L

New Mexico (4-7) W

Hawaii (4-8) L

FIU (4-7) W

Sam Houston (2-9) W

UTEP (3-8) W

La Tech (3-9) W

Western Kentucky (6-5) W

Thanks for this

14 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Not likely. Arnett got less than a year. Hugh will probably get close to four, if the current path continues. 

33 minutes ago, nurbis said:

NMSU was not a good team. Below is their schedule and the records of the teams they have played before us. The teams they have beaten, not including us, have a combined record of (22-56). They have only beaten one team with a winning record before us. They have two losses to teams with losing records. 

Only UTEP and Middle Tennessee scored less than we did with 7 points each. Even winless Western Illinois scored 21 on them.

Only three times this year, against FIU, Western Kentucky, and UMass, have they scored 30 points or more. This was not a great defense or a great offense we played. 

People want to bring up Saban's loss to La Monroe as comparable but it really isn't. If you want a more accurate equivalent, it is Chad Morris at Arkansas losing by 26 at home to (9-3) Western Kentucky. I don't think it can be overstated how bad of a loss this was.  

UMass (3-8) L

Western Illinois (0-11) W

Liberty (11-0) L

New Mexico (4-7) W

Hawaii (4-8) L

FIU (4-7) W

Sam Houston (2-9) W

UTEP (3-8) W

La Tech (3-9) W

Western Kentucky (6-5) W

Who has AU beat with a winning record?

When this play happened I felt for sure the team would rally and make things happen especially on defense:

As it turned out, we got slapped in the face and turned the other cheek.  May I have another.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, japantiger said:

It just might be, I’m not in the predicting field.    If he keeps this up, he will most definitely be fired.   
My response was to you saying that other teams don’t have trap games.   You must not watch coaching interviews or talking head interviews.   That’s all they talk about during the course of a season.    An SEC opponent could be a trap game (ie..vandy , Auburn) for arguments sake.   

It's not just losing, it's how you lose. You can lose a game and still be hopeful as long as you know there's improvement coming with the loss

• Like 4

How does the coaching staff approach Iron Bowl preparations after a debacle like this?

• The coaches failed during the prep week and in the game.
  • The players played bad, with little or no heart, and that's not all on the coaches.  Some good AU players got physically beat time and again by lesser players who just wanted it more.  They shouldn't have needed "coaching" to play with heart when NMS was kicking them all over our home field.

It wasn't like the players were "just looking ahead" to next week.  They may have been looking ahead, but that doesn't totally explain this.

Do the coaches just say "put it behind you and forget about it"?

3 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

How does the coaching staff approach Iron Bowl preparations after a debacle like this?

• The players played bad, with little or no heart, and that's not all on the coaches.  Some good AU players got physically beat time and again by lesser players who just wanted it more.  They shouldn't have needed "coaching" to play with heart when NMS was kicking them all over our home field.

It wasn't like the players were "just looking ahead" to next week.  They may have been looking ahead, but that doesn't totally explain this.

The coaches don't even want this roster and IMO some of the players feel that. They aren't idiots. It is still inexcusable from all fronts. The hope now is the future. Alabama is hitting its stride and on a revenge tour. Don't see us being close in this game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Meh, in his first Bama season Nicky lost in Tuscaloosa to Sun Belt's La-Monroe (6-6, a FAR worse team than '23 NMS) and backed into Indep Bowl for a squeeker win over arguably the worse bowl team that year (Colorado). He signed a good, not great class after that season. Sounds familiar. Next thread.

Spin it baby!

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

True.  But playcalling ends up being dictated by game circumstances.  If you call runs that have been working well for the last three weeks but now are getting nothing (note:  of Hunter's 8 carries, only three went for positive yardage, and Alston's one carry went for negative yards), you end up passing more than you intended to.  When the defense can't get the other team's offense off the field and allows them to chew up large amount of clock and you're behind by two scores, it starts dictating more passing plays than you intended.  None of this happens in a vacuum.

Yeah I think not running it was more predicated on preserving time than anything else. New Mexico State played it perfectly. Their goal was to run clock. It’s classic strategy when you are (supposedly) outmatched.  

Whoever thought it was smart to let them have the ball first…

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

One thing that continues to frustrate me is that we NEVER have a receiver get wide open. I watch all these other teams and throughout the game they’ll have a receiver get wide open for a huge gainer or a touchdown. Why is it that we are never able to confuse the defense on coverage assignments and get a receiver open like that? Are our route trees that simple? Are our receivers that bad at running routes and/or improvising when a play breaks down?

Sorry for the rant, it just baffles/frustrates me. 

What would frustrate you more is a wider angle on t.v.  Because what you would see is that we get WRs running wide open just as often as anyone else.  (Well, maybe not as much as anyone else, but way more often than you think).

But Thorne already knows where he's going to throw it before he snaps the ball and that's the only place he looks.  He could have a WR stripped naked and wagging his dong on the other side of the field & he'd never know.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, AURex said:

Auburn already paid for this loss. Auburn paid NMSU $1.85 MILLION to drop by and beat our azzzzz.

It’s still funny the next day. 

2 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I like what you said here. I saw an AU team yesterday that was arrogant and unengaged. New Mexico did nothing special. They said we are prepared to play and you guys are a bottom basement dwelling sec team. I don’t think New Mexico had an elaborate game plan. Hoover would have beat AU and that’s Hugh Lukewarms  fault 

Their game plan was to chew clock. It’s not elaborate but it’s a good one when it’s working. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

It just might be, I’m not in the predicting field.    If he keeps this up, he will most definitely be fired.   
My response was to you saying that other teams don’t have trap games.   You must not watch coaching interviews or talking head interviews.   That’s all they talk about during the course of a season.    An SEC opponent could be a trap game (ie..vandy , Auburn) for arguments sake.   

USCe vs Bama 2010 was 100% a trap game. 

7 minutes ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

What would frustrate you more is a wider angle on t.v.  Because what you would see is that we get WRs running wide open just as often as anyone else.  (Well, maybe not as much as anyone else, but way more often than you think).

But Thorne already knows where he's going to throw it before he snaps the ball and that's the only place he looks.  He could have a WR stripped naked and wagging his dong on the other side of the field & he'd never know.

Pretty cool talent to be able to read the mind of a QB through the TV. A little strange though when anyone can see him go through his progressions and then hit the check down. 

The only plays he knows where he is going to throw before the snap are on run/pass option plays which only have one pass option.

57 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Kirby Smart and Nick Saban don't talk about trap games....they talk about every member of the team and staff doing their jobs and beating the ever living hell out of everyone they play enroute to winning the championship. 

Talking heads talk about all kinds of irrelevant s***.  Losers talk about moral victories and trap games. 

We got manhandled...on both sides of the ball on practically every play.  It was not a ballgame.  If NMSU was worth a s***, they'd have beaten us 40 points...the fact that they are not is all that kept it to 3 scores.

• Thanks 1

I'm tired of hearing about Saban's loss to ULM.

Look at the actual box score of that game. Bama turned the ball over 4 times, forced 0 turnovers, and lost by one score. Bama had nearly 150 more offensive yards in that game. Their kicker even missed his lone attempt.

They beat themselves with turnovers. That is VERY different from what you just witnessed yesterday. We lost by 21 points in a game wherein we didn't even turn the ball over once. We simply got manhandled from the first snap of the game to the last.

Anyone with even a modicum of football knowledge knows that if you go -4 in the turnover column, anyone can beat you. ULM doesn't beat Bama without those turnovers. Again, this is drastically different from NMSU outright throttling us.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Didba said:

Their game plan was to chew clock. It’s not elaborate but it’s a good one when it’s working. 

Coach Kill looked like a cow chewing on his cud . Taking his time . Brilliant . Play keep away. Basic and easy to coach. Our offense wasn’t good anyways, so taking even one possession kills the team 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WillMunny said:

Call Saban and forfeit.  They will beat us as bad as they want to....think 2012 level beat down.

14 minutes ago, metafour said:

I'm tired of hearing about Saban's loss to ULM.

Look at the actual box score of that game. Bama turned the ball over 4 times, forced 0 turnovers, and lost by one score. Bama had nearly 150 more offensive yards in that game. Their kicker even missed his lone attempt.

They beat themselves with turnovers. That is VERY different from what you just witnessed yesterday. We lost by 21 points in a game wherein we didn't even turn the ball over once. We simply got manhandled from the first snap of the game to the last.

Anyone with even a modicum of football knowledge knows that if you go -4 in the turnover column, anyone can beat you. ULM doesn't beat Bama without those turnovers. Again, this is drastically different from NMSU outright throttling us.

I wonder what Bamas roster was that year compared to ours this year

33 minutes ago, Didba said:

Yeah I think not running it was more predicated on preserving time than anything else. New Mexico State played it perfectly. Their goal was to run clock. It’s classic strategy when you are (supposedly) outmatched.  

Whoever thought it was smart to let them have the ball first…

I was thinking the same thing. We won the toss and deferred. We absolutely should have taken the ball first. That set the tone right away

• Like 1