Will Ron Roberts have a job next year?

shabby

Roberts is damn near single handedly the reason Auburn is bowl eligible in the first place. I didn’t like the way the iron bowl ended but he shouldn’t be worried about job security. 

I don’t understand how Freeze gets a billion excuses made for him and how we need to be patient and get “his guys” in but fans aren’t showing that patience for the other coaches on the staff 

• Like 1

If I had known where we would end up three years after his firing I would've said don't fire Gus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Roberts did well most of the year.  Some games were really good.  But man!  The end of the uga and bama games were the most crucial moments of the season and he absolutely crapped the bed in both moments!   I can almost forgive the uga debacle since Simpson went out right before Bowers started dominating.  But that 4th down call in the bama game was just brainless!!!   Also, we’ve had issues with 3rd and long all year.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

No. I don’t see how either coordinator can survive the last 2 games. 

The problem is finding a replacement that is prepared for sec west competition 

D was solid most of the season. That said, taking a LB basically out of the play on 4th and forever As a spy is possibly the worst call I’ve ever seen. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

If I had known where we would end up three years after his firing I would've said don't fire Gus.

Yeah I hate to say it but I agree...we stayed with Gus IMHO way to long but really we haven't done any better and even if CHF wins some games I do not see him really being an upgrade but just gus 2.0, but right now he is not even gus 2.0. I hope I'm wrong and he turns it around but he is a passive coach, clearly seen that this year and I don't think that bodes well for the future even when he has his players.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Freeze said he thought this was the right call but maybe he’s just backing up his coaches. Interesting to see how this plays out in the future. But at the same time if you go prevent I always say you deserve to get beat. And I’ve seen it twice this year .

2 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Yes.

Which makes me laugh.  Good God we are so stupid.....

I’m stupid for suggesting a guy with Auburn ties who is a co-DC who is probably about to win a third straight NC? 

4 hours ago, The Defiant said:

Guys, definitely don't judge the man off one game. Dude has been pretty solid all year in my opinion. 

I guess you forgot the LSU and NMST games?

58 minutes ago, woodford said:

I’m stupid for suggesting a guy with Auburn ties who is a co-DC who is probably about to win a third straight NC? 

I like the hire, I just don't see either side going for a 3rd ride.

This has been an average at best defense all year but people on here act as if they were the 85 Bears. Not impressed with Roberts at all 

We have amazing instant impact recruits coming to play for Roberts. Going to have to suck it up. Just got too cute with that last call.

• Like 2

Who is Ron Roberts? All I saw this season was a Derek Mason defense. 3rd and long all season is when the offense had us right where they wanted. Did not know when to blitz or not to blitz the last 2 games especially. Brought it at the wrong time last week and didn’t bring it at the worst possible time this week. We got lucky with that bad snap that it even got to fourth and 31. Third and 20 what happens? They get 19. It’s been a theme all season. Teams have picked it up or got close to converting via run or pass. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, woodford said:

I mean you want us to be honest? Yah dude. Why in the world would he leave a program which is his Alma mater by the way that is in position to win 3 straight nattys!? He wouldn’t. Under any circumstance unless it was to be our head coach. Kirby was also his teammate and college roommate. It ain’t happening.

• Like 1

Guys, I thought that call last night was idiotic as well. However, I do think the defense was better overall this season than anticipated. Additionally, I also think we need some stability in this program. We can't keep doing this vicious cycle of firing and hiring acutely. With that being said, these coaches best damn win the recruiting battles. They got enough excuses for the season. The excuses end at recruiting .

• Like 2

Defense has been solid most the season.  One disappointing play won’t change that.   It honestly should have never come down to that if Auburn fields that punt.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Defense has been solid most the season.  One disappointing play won’t change that.   It honestly should have never come down to that if Auburn fields that punt.  

Correct, the margin for winning or losing is paper thin in lose games. 

13 hours ago, woodford said:

People will laugh but I’d call Muschamp. He’s a great DC who would be a massive addition for recruiting. 

He would definitely recruit well and would also make our guys tough!!!

I heard or read somewhere, can't remember which, that Billy Napier was contacted by Auburn when we fired Gus late in 2020. They wanted to interview him for the HC position. Napier called Muschamp who had just been fired as HC at South Carolina. Napier asked Boom what he thought about the Auburn job. Boom said you can win a Natty there because we did in 2010. He said everything is there to win and the fanbase is great but you have to have 5 certain people behind you to succeed here. He told Napier who those 5 are but where I read/heard this didn't mention the 5 names. Napier then asked Boom if he takes the Auburn HC job, would Boom be his DC and Boom said no.

I'm not sure if he just doesn't want to come back for a 3rd time or if he was just fired as a HC at USCe and wanted to chill a bit.